jennycdrew

POLL: Open-plan or closed layout?

Jenny Drew
8 år siden

Open-plan layouts are very, very popular, and for good reason. They're a great way to maximise space, whether you have a big or a small home.

However, tearing down walls can be expensive and some homeowners prefer to leave the smells and mess behind in the kitchen, so a closed layout is a better option for them.

What do you prefer – open or closed layouts?

Open-plan
Closed
Other – tell us below!

(14) kommentarer

• dlextension
    8 år siden

We recently opened our existing house to the extension and WOW!!! You can see from the front door, down the passage, through the kitchen to the end of our new family room, then, courtesy of our spectacular new bifold doors, the alfresco and all the way to the back fence. Some 40 metres.

• howde1
    8 år siden

Ability to open or close off spaces as required

• Kerrie Langloy7
    8 år siden

It's a no brainer in Australia I think. We love open plan & indoor outdoor living spaces.

• wendan26
    8 år siden

Totally agree with Kerrie Langloy7, open plan is an absolute no brainer, gives you space, you are with your family and friends while in the kitchen, not shut away on your own, not all open plans have huge windows for light, if you have you are a lucky one, open plan is for families large and small whether noisy or sedate, open plan is just right, I am 72 and had open plan from the time I was married, all the time our children were growing up and now we accommodate our children, their children and our great grandchildren, would NEVER change.

• User
    7 år siden

Whoops. I'm English and would go crazy if I couldn't shut myself away to recharge. I have a big kitchen diner, but the rest of the house is separated by walls. Best of both worlds, depending on need.

• Kerrie Langloy7
    7 år siden
    yes it's interesting how the Brits like closed off rooms. I watch those UK home shows & thy seem to all says "don't want cooking smells" but don't they have good extraction fan rangehoods there like we do? I've also wondered why they don't have/ install proper air conditioning there that warms, cools & filters the air? Wonder if now their summers are getting hotter if they'll embrace it. I certainly thing you can have the best of both worlds in the right house, open kitchen dining living & then maybe a seperate living or reception room as they call them in the UK. Also if you have nice big bedrooms & master suite you can escape there for peace & quet. Interesting the differences between countries.
  • PRO
    zoe wighton photography`
    7 år siden

I prefer open plan! i love the feel of a big open space creating personal spaces in that area.

• PRO
    iBuildNew
    7 år siden

We love both open and closed layout but if we had to choose it would be ope to create the sense of space.

• PRO
    Frontier Concrete
    7 år siden

who likes a cramped space

• PRO
    Andrew's Building Design & Drafting
    7 år siden

Open plan brings family and friends together

• PRO
    David Bright Homes
    7 år siden

Open Plan feels more spacious

• Gemma U
    7 år siden

Mostly I prefer open-plan. Just so long as there is some sort of distinction between the different areas.

• Fiona
    5 år siden

I like open plan, however unless its cleverly designed open plan can dramatically increase heating and cooling costs, amplifies noise and echo, and particularly if your kitchen is included, exposes your upholstery, paintings and other fabric in the lounge area to fumes and grease. If you have more than one or two people in the house, you can't hang out watching TV due to the noise of someone in the kitchen. Best option for me is a design which enables the kitchen to be closed off when necessary.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.