erica_brown5783

What does it need ?

Erica Stapleton
9 år siden
What does my house need ? Seems dull and want to brighten it up but don't know what to do ! Thanks in advance =-)

(29) kommentarer

• Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you very much!i see what you are saying. I will try that .
  • Angel 18432
    9 år siden
    I agree, landscaping was the first thing that came to mind. Instead of the straight line of landscaping on the left, I would bring it out into the grass with curves, curves, curves.
    Shutters might add some interest.
  • claybakin247
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    I agree shutters would be a great addition! You might think about using a darker shade of your cedar shake color (your door color maybe?), or perhaps even white, but adding some white to your landscaping - which would match your trim - would be spectacular!

You might add white yard decor and/or plants, there are tons of choices: container plants, variegated foliage plants, etc. Or maybe a white fence, even if its just a few small corner gardens, or an arbor. I think adding a bit of white here and there would really brighten up your already very beautiful home!

I see you have a couple of statuary pieces, both on the right side (concrete basket and fountain), but you might want to be cautious about overdoing it with decorative elements if you do add the fence or arbor that I'm suggesting. You might consider balancing your decor so that each one offers its own little "vignette".

Adding a few trees to your front yard would also be wonderful! Again, there are many white blooming ones and white variegated ones!

Hope this helps and makes sense!
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks everyone! I did have shutters on the house but to me it made it look smaller ? I would love to use white for the headers but I tried and just didn't seem to look any better. I'm stuck ! Haha
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Now it has just window headers and no shutters ... Maybe the headers need to go and shutters come back?
  • claybakin247
    9 år siden
    Oh, I love the shutters, Erica. Of course I would since I suggested it in the first place! Your house is adorable, but honestly - and this only MY opinion and MY taste - I would not be too caught in the wanting to make it look bigger aspect. But then, I love cottages and I'm actually trying to give cottage appeal to my long modern day rancher which has no lovely features (like your multiple angles) at all.

Actually, I just had a thought. I had a home built in '03 and although the house was spec'd for shutters I wanted to be different than the other (tract) homes in the neighborhood, so I contracted the builder to install headers with keystone and hefty trim all around the windows. Not sure what that would take since I'm not a carpenter, but you might consider it.
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    9 år siden
    Hello!

Add a few flowers in there! That would be gorgeous!

-Cabinets and Designs
  • Angel 18432
    9 år siden
    The picture you posted of the front door area, I didn't realize at first that it was your place, until I took a closer look.

First of all, the shutters you had up were far too small for the window. Each one should be about twice the size of the ones that were up.

I would remove a lot of the "stuff" around your front door. Remove the 2 chairs, move the topiary in front of the post to under the light, Put the 2 pots from the front steps with the topiary. Remove everything else. I'ts far too busy and making your front door look small.
    Where are your house numbers?
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Wow thank you Cindy Crane ! Your home is beautiful! I love the idea with using the trim around the windows . I'm going to look into that . Everyone has such great ideas . I'm going to get some white flowers to plant around the house . Angel , The front porch is different now haha.That's the only photo I had of it with shutters . That was about 2 years ago.
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    The house numbers are on the garage side facing the driveway. We live on a farm out to ourselves and the house sits on a hill . There are trees in the yard but hard to get everything in the picture .
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Here is the porch now but minus the 2 lanterns
  • andj32
    9 år siden
    Very inviting home. I would consider putting shutters on the two smaller windows as that area is looking a little blank. If it's in your budget I would replace the front porch column with something more substantial, and add a second one on the left side; it looks kind of off with just one. Best of luck!
  • User
    9 år siden
    Trees.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 år siden
    Left of house the triangle siding too bare. Some people hang a star ornament up there. But my personal preference would be an octagon window
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    What about adding white Brackets in the middle of each peak? Something like I posted below ?
  • januarisun
    9 år siden
    Trees. All it needs is tall, mature trees. Or a mountain range.
    A mountain range, behind the house, might do the trick, but trees might be easier. ;)
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 år siden
    Lol. Yep, trees w ill easier than adding a mountain range in my experience
  • Sharon Mallard
    9 år siden
    Don't overdo! A fast growing ornamental tree or two off center in the front to frame the lot. Don't get too busy with your house keep it simple because you have a lot of landscaping around the house already. Taking shutters down was good idea.
  • Angel 18432
    9 år siden
    Hey, thanks for the up-date on front door. I figured you were in the country re the numbers.
  • AJ
    9 år siden
    My first response in seeing your photo was "shutters and color". Agree that the landscaping needs height and flowers or flowering shrubs.
  • Amy
    9 år siden
    I think it looks great! Very clean. :-) If I had to make you do something....I guess it would be losing the curtains in the windows. ;-)
  • PRO
    Lacuna Design architecture + interiors
    9 år siden
    We love the additional layer and detail that shutters being to colonial homes such as this.

Also perhaps bringing another scale of landscaping would help. Perhaps a taller tree or tall grasses in the middle of the yard.

Bold lighting moves would help as well. Maybe a bigger light next to the front door would help and some landscaping lights along a path.
  • Mandy Feagan
    9 år siden
    It definitely needs shutters!

A dark brown or even a light blue would look really pretty. Go with a board and batten style. A house without shutters is like not putting lipstick on after you have all of your makeup on! :)
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Great idea ! Is there a program that I could buy that would let me see what my house would look like with the blue board and batten shutters?
  • Mandy Feagan
    9 år siden
    There are several pictures on Houzz with them on a house with similar colors to yours. Let me find them.
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks ! My brick is "cortez" by General Shale. It has white,grey,red . So I'm having a hard time trying to match it . I've tried white shutters, 2 colors of brown,black. So that's why I no longer have shutters lol. And to me the shutters made it look darker . I want it brighter and some curb appeal. Just not finding the right color I guess haha. The inside of my home is done in blue and yellow. So the blue shutters if it would match would be perfect.
  • Mandy Feagan
    9 år siden
    Here are a few examples for you. Navy, silver blue, and a green/blue color. All are against a tan colored home. Should give you an idea of what your house would look like.

Best way to see if you like them - buy some paint samples in the colors you like. Paint a piece of wood or even cardboard and tape to your house. Step back, look at them, take pictures of all of the colors.

By taking pictures, you can look at them over and over and decide what you like the best!
  • Erica Stapleton
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Been a while since I had posted ! So here is an updated photo of some work I have done ... thoughts ?
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.