secret_design_studio

Budget mid-century bathroom renovation, before and after

Dr Retro House Calls
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

Through my client's houses I see so many mid-century homes with 1980's renovations that don't work with the style of the home. This client had a challenging 1980's renovation that looked very dated, and didn't work with the original mid-century architecture. One of the problems was a tiny budget which didn't allow for the existing bathroom to be made any bigger. The solution was to get rid of the tiny bath, which was never used, to allow for a full sized shower and a decent sized bathroom vanity. Like many homes of this era the toilet is in a separate room.

The ceramic wall tiles selected were very cost-effective and were traditionally used in mid-century bathrooms. The bathroom vanity is actually Ikea kitchen cabinetwork, which has a better mid-century feel than Ikea's standard bathroom vanities. The drawer knobs were not sourced from Ikea. The vanity basin and tapware were fairly basic as this is what was commonly used in many mid-century homes, as we are spoilt for choice today with expensive basins and tapware. The extravagance was the beautiful pistachio coloured, hexagon mosaic tiles, which echo the original floor tiles used before the 1980's renovation from one of Secret Design Studio's suppliers.

This project is nearing completion and the client is thrilled with the transformation. Here is the "before" photo:

Here is the "After" photo - same bathroom, same window, but a world of difference:

(5) kommentarer

• me me
    6 år siden
    This looks so nice - a great improvement.
  • debbietaylor37
    6 år siden

I love the clever thinking with the use of a Ikea kitchen cabinet in the bathroom, It is a vast improvement on the bathroom. I only wish the photo was taken a bit further back and we could really see the window and the floor.

• Kate
    6 år siden

Looks good. I hope the legs are suited to a wet floor and cabinet to a high moisture environment. .

• Rebekka Power
    6 år siden

This looks great. Our bathroom had the same layout, but we managed to fit a much longer bath and a toilet in by moving the vanity from under the window to the left hand wall, putting the longer bath under the window, putting a toilet where the bath was previously and leaving the shower in the same position. We also changed the door to a cavity sliding door to take up less space in the room. We had a similarly awful 80s renovation in ours too, and used the same sort of wall tile

• PRO
    Nicole Hastings Photography
    5 år siden

Love this :) We just got a quote for a bathroom renovation and it is over $27,000 I now am re thinking the whole bathroom. We have a retro bathroom but have mould and leaking issues and it needs gutting. Did you coat the kitchen cabinet with anything to prevent water damage?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.