amy_willis1260

Need Help with Narrow Living/Dining Room Combo

Aimee Willis
5 år siden
We have a room that according to our floor plan is listed as a Family Room/Great Room that is 11x25. We planned on making this our primary living room and formal dining room since our kitchen with a breakfast nook is open adjacent to it. We have a sectional sofa that we thought about using to define the spaces, but I worry its size is going to make the room feel cramped when we try and put in an entertainment center and dining room table.

How would you recommend decorating this space? It’s the first room you see when you walk in the house and is directly open beside the front door.

(4) kommentarer

• PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    5 år siden

I agree with your hunch that a sectional would overwhelm the living room. A standard size sofa on one wall paired with 1-2 swivel chairs. I highly suggest a swivel chair due the the space being dual purpose. It also looks as though a shorter media unit could fit on the wall opposite the sofa. Good luck!

• PRO
    Cedar + Sage Design
    5 år siden

It's important to use furniture that is appropriate to the size of the space. A sectional sofa would most likely feel a bit overwhelming. I would place a sofa on the wall with an accent chair or two, depending on size, to create a bit of a division. Also, using mirrors can help make the space feel larger. I'd also use low profile chairs like below to keep unobstructed views throughout the space. Area rugs will also help to define each space.

• Aimee Willis
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Would the dining room table be best near the window which is beside the front door, or beside the sliding glass which is where the kitchen is near?
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 år siden

You would want to place the dining room next to the kitchen where it fits logically. To shorten the space, I would recommend two colorful area rugs to define the dining area and the living area, which will give life and warmth. Please don't fall into the gray/neutral groove which is a dying trend that many still falsely think is fashionable. With a colorful rug you can choose a couch and chairs that have pretty colors, not brown or black leather which will kill a room design. Straight, classic lines that won't become dated are best for your furniture because they look good with everything and won't look dated in 5 or 10 years.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.