jlswilton

A Difficult Room

Jen Wilton
5 år siden
My living room is long and narrow. The best place for the tv is in the area to the right of the fireplace (for a variety of reasons, hanging it over the fireplace can’t happen) but I struggle with how to make it not look awkward. The armoire it is in will not stay but I need a plan to replace it. Am open to creating some kind of built in situation but can’t figure out how to make it work. I’m pretty minimalist and don’t want it to be cluttered. Any ideas? (Please excuse the mess, we just moved in)

(8) kommentarer

• PRO
    Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

While I realize you said "...for a variety of reasons, hanging it over the fireplace can’t happen." So do built-in's left and right of the fireplace, painted the rooms trim color ... use an articulating TV bracket, tucking the TV back into the bookshelf, or a motorized TV lift, lifting the TV from the base cabinet. Hope that makes sense.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 år siden

How large is the TV? I don't like to see a TV in my library, so many years ago, I came up with an idea of hiding it under a skirted table. They have done this in "bedsitters" in the UK for years. I bought a 30" melamine bookcase with two shelves. I did not use but one of the shelves, put up quite high. I put the bookcase on a square stand. The TV sits on the front of the stand. The cable box/DVD player/AppleTV sit on the shelf above. I simply lift the skirt and lay it on the table when I watch TV. It works very well. This is what it looks like when I'm watching TV. Sorry lighting wasn't better.

Mine holds a 32" TV.

• PRO
    5 år siden
    There are a few decent avenues for hiding a TV when not in use, to include this motorized lift. When IN use ... an "ideal" viewing height is eye level when seated. Obviously that suggestion goes out the door when above a fireplace.
  • Jen Wilton
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    I like the idea of the lift. Thank you for the information- I had never seen one before.

Unfortunately, there is a door to the left of the fireplace so no symmetry; if I do built ins, they can only be to the right of the fireplace.
  • Jen Wilton
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    I realize there was no way to see the doorway from the original pics.
  • PRO
    5 år siden
    An asymmetrical built-in, designed/built properly, will function and look good.
  • PRO
    Randy Trainor
    5 år siden

You can still do built ins to one side to the fireplace. We did it in one design of ours:

Alpine Ski Home · Mere information

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.