spender99

Size of Fireplace for Great Room

Chris Moser
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

Hello! I am building a place out in the mountains near me, and am trying to work out some details on the size of my fireplace surround (which folks in the UK apparently call the "fireplace breast"). My room is 16' x 24' with a shed roof going from 14'10" down to 9' - but the wall where the gas fireplace will go is 12' wide because of the open concept of the house. Another key consideration, in addition to size/proportion, is TV placement - I'd ideally like to put it on the right of the TV, kind of like in this picture:

So, questions are:

1. What size of fireplace? Should this be a 36" or a 42" (generally speaking)?

2. What should be the width of the "fireplace breast"? I've worked out either 6' and change, or about 7 1/2 feet.

3. Should I strive to put the TV on the right of the fireplace (as per the picture), or put it over the mantel? I want people to be able to see it (to watch football games, etc.) from the dining room.

First time I've used this, looking forward to the responses!

(1) kommentar

• PRO
    Zone 4 Architects, LLC
    5 år siden

Welcome to Houzz!

Some suggestions based on your post:

1. Would suggest making a mock up of the open portion of the fireplace (or glass if you are using a sealed unit) to see how the size of the opening feels in the room. In general 36" fireplaces are fairly small and usually placed in small rooms- 42" may also feel small for a living room, but that is the reason why it helps to visualize the size in the space. You can either cut rigid foam into the size or tape the outline onto a sheet of plywood or other board

2. Again, a mock up of the surround will be helpful, since proportions are very room shape dependent

3. Usually the decision on whether to mount the TV above or to the side of the fireplace starts by considering whether there is art that you would like to have over the fireplace or not. Art TV's are now changing that conversation, and are certainly something to consider if you are unsure. If you do place a TV over the fireplace, be aware that it needs to be a certain distance away from the fireplace opening and/or have a mantel which can direct the heat away from the TV and keep it from melting/malfunction.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.