jennycampbell142

What should we do with this huge open-plan room?

Jen Cam
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

I have taken several pictures, from different sides of this huge open planned space. It just looks so cluttered but is not. Floors are tiled off white so that is why cupboards are wooden. Any suggestions to make this space look better will be greatly appreciated

(45) kommentarer

• JE C
    5 år siden
    I think rugs will help give definition to the different zones which will help. Please could you post a plan with dimensions if you have one. Thanks
  • oklouise
    5 år siden

the room is only cluttered if there's furniture you don't like or use but given the opportunity i would rearrange the kitchen to make the space feel more open...do you have a plan showing the sizes of the rooms and location of doors and windows?

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hello - this is the plan showing dimensions. I would prefer not to rearrange the structure but merely the furniture & interior decor. thank you.

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

this is another pic at another angle showing from dining area thru to kitchen.

• dreamer
    5 år siden
    A wonderful, grand room. Random suggestion. If you painted the kitchen cabinets a light colour, this may make them disappear a little. At the moment I think they obstruct visually through the space. Maybe get some white paper and tape to cabinets and get an idea of it would look like with light cabinets. See how the back of your white bar stools in last picture disappear. But the cabinets stand out. Thanks.
  • Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    I was thinking of maybe painting the wall unit white & the table legs white & having white dining chairs with wooden legs. Do you think this would work?
  • dreamer
    5 år siden
    I agree with JEC, add floor rugs. This will enhance the space. The expanse of floor tiles make the whole space very clinical. The rugs will add texture to your furniture. And I mean LARGE floor rug that reach under your lounges.
  • Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Thank you. Due to the problem adding more colour with the rugs, hopefully this doesnt make the busy looking area even busier. Any idea or suggestion on colours or rug?
    Much Appreciated.
  • dreamer
    5 år siden
    Why do you need colour with rugs, if you add neutral coloured rugs they will anchor your furniture into its zones. At the same time adding texture.
  • oklouise
    5 år siden

you have some lovely furniture and the timber cabinets, dining suite and kitchen cabinets with the white floor and curtains are gorgeous and it would be a shame and an extraordinary amount of work to paint anything and suggest that you first try rearranging the furniture ..eg in the lounge area..could you swop the TV and it's cabinet with the armoire so the TV isn't in such a prominent position, swop the single lounge chair and cabinet next to the fire with the 2 seater lounge from the dining area and move the single antique chair to the family room to face that lounge...the big artwork next to the fire feels like the best scale for the size of the room and the big clock on the dining room wall could swop with the smaller clock on the wall near the tv and what about bigger lamps, some potted plants and some colourful (fine patterns of blues, greens, batic?) cushions would create some contrast and highlight the colour in the big painting

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Some amazing ideas. Will look into those. Thank you so much.
  • oklouise
    5 år siden

look forward to seeing what you decide

• oklouise
    5 år siden

i should have also suggested that you measure the rooms and the furniture and try some test arrangements on paper before moving heavy furniture...you will need the dimensions of the rooms and furniture to make the best arrangements but something like this is what i've already suggested

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    l feel so privileged that so much time & effort has been put into those ideas. I thank you once again. Very impressed as well.
  • Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Yes this will work exept the antique chair I think is too big for that area.

• oklouise
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

try at an angle against the window allowing a walkway between the chair and the kitchen and facing towards the bedroom hallway with the round table at the back of the chair or the chair could look excellent in a bedroom

• siriuskey
    5 år siden

I agree that you have some lovely furniture but too much and mostly too small,except lounges for the size of the rooms.

As mentioned the cabinet and arm chair behind the lounge to both be moved across onto the wall in the dining room, chair on the left then cabinet

The two seater lounge swapped with the single chair next to the fire

.That beautiful cabinet next to the fireplace could replace both items opposite the kitchen bench, keep it simple.

Change the mirror in the family room with the two wall hangings of family photos on the wall in the dining room which will now be above the single cabinet.

Lower the chandelier and if possible move the wine rack on top of the cabinet from of the floor.

As Ok said I wouldn't paint any of the furniture it works well as it is.

Once you have rearranged the living you could look to find a carpet square or rug to fit within that space

You could wall mount the TV Higher on a bracket so it can be swiveled for viewing and avoiding sun on the screen

• Melanie Yu
    5 år siden
    Some big indoor plants would look amazing and give some beautiful colour against the white and wood.
  • KK1000
    5 år siden
    Do you really need all side tables, sofa table tv table , trunk coffee table? There is far to much furniture in the room. I would take everything out except dining table and sofas and then just bring back necessary tables and keep the rest in the garage and live without it for a while, you may not miss it.
  • KK1000
    5 år siden
    PS put all the tables next to each other and see how many styles you have there. I am not saying it all has to match but you have to many styles from IKEA to antiques looking ones.
  • Susan Ballard
    5 år siden
    It definitely needs rugs to define areas Will not make it busier Do need to swap dining and lounge area and don’t leave the black lounge with dining or get rid of it
  • Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I have done a quick move around & it is looking far better already.
    Decided to put the antique chair in main bedroom.

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Having the Dark Brown 2 seater with the dark Blue couches looks quite good.

• oklouise
    5 år siden

i had no idea that the couches were different colours but does look more like a sitting area instead of a just somewhere to watch TV and the colours look good with the painting ...btw what colour is the couch in the family room?

• dreamer
    5 år siden
    Wonderful, well done.
  • Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

oklouise. haha.
    The couch backed against the light wooden cabinet is very dark brown. The two on either side are dark blue & single chair I put in dining area is part or the blue suite.
    The other couch belonging to the brown couch is in an outside studio we have.
    Cannot believe how well this looks. Thank you all.

• oklouise
    5 år siden

sometimes all we need is to shake up what we already have, well done for your quick efforts

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    And well done to everyone for their assistance.
    Hubby away at present so I got stuck in & moved it all around last night. Very entertaining. Thanks again.
  • Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Siriuskey. Your ideas & input was extremely impressive. Thanks again.
  • siriuskey
    5 år siden

Thanks heaps, don't stop there and make sure you leave a light on for your husband so he doesn't trip over the new arrangement (still wonder about swapping the lounge and dining, with all those big beautiful windows and light filled doors with the floating curtains would make for beautiful dining with the lounge and TV watching into the back space with less openings, When is he going away again haha

• JE C
    5 år siden
    Wow Jen Cam you did well, what a difference. Congratulations, love your work.
  • julie herbert
    5 år siden
    Excellent job, I agree with siriuskey, leave a light on for hubby, so he doesn’t trip over new arrangement, I have to do that for my hubby all the time.
    Your new arrangement looks great.
  • Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Siriuski. Swopping lounge & dining - i dont think this will work. Two sets of sliding doors in lounge area with the most amazing view. the dining room has the skinny windows above the wall unit which looks out to the bulls paddock & the other window has a beautiful view.
    Sitting in Lounge with both sliding doors open is such an advantage.
    The fireplace seperates the lounge & dinning area... so that would mean the lounge area would be smaller & I am just loving my BIG lounge right now.
    Having said that any more ideas are still welcome.
    Need to get cushions that look good.
  • julie herbert
    5 år siden
    Hi Jen,
    I would bring in some texture for your cushions, there are some fabulous ones around at the moment, try habitania, Adairs, add a gorgeous throw and it will look beautiful, love your log holder, lovely room.
  • siriuskey
    5 år siden

What did Husband think of all your hard work,

Do you have two matching leather arm chairs and are you able re post your floor plan as most measurements are missing

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Hello - Have an Adairs down the road from me so guess where I am going at lunch time Log holder I bought on ebay. In winter we use it to carry wood from outside. Collecting Hubby @ airport tomorrow. Only have the one single blue lounge chair. Have 2 Antique chairs which are both in bedrooms now. Will check out plan again when U get home.
  • siriuskey
    5 år siden

Hi Jen, Just another consideration,

Could you move the blue two seater to where the other blue lounge is and then swap it with the brown then add the blue armchair or both of the Antique chairs to where the 2 seat lounge was, this will open up the space and also uncover some of the sliding door (I'am going to post this in two parts as I just lost the last post

• siriuskey
    5 år siden

I started out the first post that I lost by saying that Hubbie might think that the TV is too far away and at a difficult angle to watch

If you moved the amoire back to it;s original position and then added the cabinet from behind the brown lounge into that spot and stand the TV on top giving a higher view and also now being able to be seen from the kitchen Both the cabinet and amoire will work together better than the current TV stand

By taking the cabinet away from behind the brown lounge will allow you to better space the lounges so that they aren't pushed up against each other and allow for easier access with wood for the fire.

That does leave you with an extra lounge but hopefully you would have use for it else where, how and what pieces do you have of it.

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Hubby loves!
    Changes I made prior to his arrival.
    switched the 3 seater blue with the 2 seater blue. Swqpped TV & tall cabinet back.
    BTW the dark cabinet now under the white photo frame is actually a restored 1930's wireless & radiogram
    I considered the cabinet behind the brown couch as a TV Cabinet but we wud have to drill holes to put the DVD wires thru.
    Still lovin' my "new" space. thanks again!
  • siriuskey
    5 år siden

Well done Jen getting his approval is big, I would still consider drilling the cabinet for the entertainment stand, far nicer than the current one and will make viewing the TV better and work with the amoire, and will free up the dining space

• Susan Clark
    5 år siden

Love the ideas and the changes made. Go for bigger rugs or even carpet that you order in the specific size and have the edges bound on. This is more economical than you might think. Ideally rugs go at least slightly under the furniture in the area. We did this years ago and have never looked back! Allows you to get better quality carpet and neutral colours. Also will improve the acoustics as it reduces the reflection of sound on the tiles - I suspect you have a lot of that. Good luck.

• Susan Clark
    5 år siden

Looking at your photos again it really stood out to me that you have a lot of wall pics that are small, repeating units - family photos, I presume. You don’t need to stand back to view small photos - in fact you don’t want to - so these may be better placed in a corridor or narrow space or for nice frames atop the many units you have around. I feel these panels of family photos add to the “cluttered” feel. Leave the walls for large pieces that define an area. Even a series of pics to encompass the space of the zone. This will help with the anchoring of zones and give the eye something large and focussing to settle on. You don’t need to spend heaps - Ikea have some lovely large pieces. Framed prints/posters can look very good if chosen carefully.

• Jen Cam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Hello deco friends. I was thinking it would be a fantastic idea to do weekend house swops. Love the idea of doing this with like minded people who take pride in their home so u know your home will be looked after. If anyone is interested in chatting about this my email is: jennycampbell14@gmail.com
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.