daralikesara

White tile that has variations in color

daralikesara
4 år siden

Hi there. We are still in the permitting phase, but I am trying to get a handle on my decisions! My house is a 1925 Craftsman and will have shaker cabinets (likely in a light greenish/grey) with honed carrara counters. I was seriously considering the zellige weathered white tiles from cle, but after looking at the samples, I think the varying thicknesses will drive me crazy. It's so hard because some online pictures don't show the variation, but I don't know if my installer can be that perfect! An easy classic backsplash could be white subway tile, but I find myself wanting something more...but still want to keep it timeless.

So my question to y'all is: Do you have a recommendation for a white tile that has variation in color (it's what I LOVE about the zellig)? Thanks so much!

(22) kommentarer

• Selina Dorfi
    4 år siden

I had the same issue. White shaker with grayish quartz counter top. I choose 12x4 inch white subway tile since I it would have been a lot of similar tones that took away from the beautiful counter top.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

You are so far from needing to decide this, its absurd. You select this last, and best is after tops are in place. It is INSTALLED last! There is not a reason on earth to hurry a splash decicsion, and anyone pushing? " I haven't decided" is your answer. Perhaps along with don't RUSH me.

Most important are functions and layout of cabinetry and appliances. Where is that? What is the flooring?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 år siden

What if you went with a marble subway tile instead of ceramic? Then you'll get the variation of white/gray. And marble tiles are always classic for vintage bathrooms. I'm betting, too, it won't be a huge cost differential since Cle Tile is handcrafted and fairly pricey.

Madison Bathroom · Mere information

• daralikesara
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you for your your quick responses! No one is pressuring me...I just have a lull in work so I can think about it. I was so curious about the zellig so I ordered some samples and was a little sad about my feeling towards it. I am definitely not looking for another standout feature, but something not as blah as plain white subway tile. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of subway tile in 2 bathrooms already...just wanting something a tiny bit different...and maybe a subway tile or some other tile with varying shades of white could do it.

I am working with an architect and cabinet/appliance/layout/functional plan is already in place. Floors will be wood that match the rest of the house.

And yes...I am so early...I can't even pick out the marble as there is no place to store it. lol.

@sabrina...it's funny you say that. In my deciding matrix, I was initially hesitant to get marble counters for all the obvious ease of care/soft surface reasons, and was going to go with quartz. I couldn't shake the NEED I had in my head for marble, so I considered doing the marble subway. tile But. All the variation in color...with no control kind of drove me crazy. What if most of my boxes were more gray than white? So I went back to marble counters.

Maybe I need to go back and reconsider that option. I just know I want marble somewhere in this kitchen!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 år siden

I would advise quartz for the counters and marble for the backsplash. Marble as a counter surface is pretty unforgiving, IMO.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 år siden

You pick a stone at a local, and they store it, or your FABRICATOR stores. it. If the marble is the most important to you? You get the tops selected. It drives your paint finishes on cabinetry as there are a billion shades of any color, including white. Storage should be a non issue. They aren't coming to your home until the install : )

Only QUARTZ wil give what you're going to get.......with no surprises. Your tolerance for the patina of marble can be tested with a cutting board remnant from just about any fabricator.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 år siden

I have Glacier White Corian countertops in my kitchen and would have no other - they're bullet proof and they last forever. I used honed white Carrera marble subway tiles 3x12 for my backsplash. No worries about etching/staining but still get marble in my kitchen. I could not be happier.

• daralikesara
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you. I will go back to considering that...it really is the perfect combination as you get the natural stone with durable counters. :)

• Fori
    4 år siden

Some people have done combos of different whites from Fireclay. They are good about samples, and if you tell them what you're after, they might help pick colors.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 år siden

FYI architects are generally poor kitchen designers so maybe either post the kitchen design here for us to have a look or get a KD now,

• Kirsten E.
    4 år siden

TI think it’s smart to start thinking about this now. We’re a year into our build and I’ve been exploring tile the entire time, ordering samples and scouring online. Now that it IS decision time, I feel incredibly confident in my choice because it was well informed and not rushed. Contrary to Jan’s suggestion, there’s nothing premature about getting a sense of your preferences and likely price point at the permitting phase (or even the imagination phase). In addition to educating myself on what’s available, it also allowed me to plan for a specific tile overage amount based on the average price point I found myself satisfied with (original allowance was $2 sq. ft., my selections are averaging at about $5-$6 with some splurges in powder room and master showers).

Definitely order samples, beat them up, and don’t stop looking until you have to choose, because prices change and new styles are always coming out. It was cool to see how my ultimate choice was VERY similar to my initial instinct, but how the style had evolved as the design of the house came together. Personally, I can’t do things in piecemeal on our open concept main level - all of my decisions inform one another! Happy tile hunting!

• Kirsten E.
    4 år siden

To expand on my tile journey referenced in my earlier comment, my initial instinct was white subway tile with dark grout. I ultimately selected this white brick look as I found my design style ended up leaning Scandinavian, more so than farmhouse/rustic. In answer to your original ask, this white tile that I chose has gray undertones. I also considered the Ivy Hill tile someone posted above, which is beautiful, but my husband has a weird aversion so small square tiles (I’ve since deduced that it’s because our current rental is filled with awful square tiles, so he really shouldn’t blame the shape!). I was also wary about the number of grout lines the smaller size would require, but now I’m planning to do wider, sanded grout for a true brick look - so the cleanliness concern was clearly downgraded haha

• daralikesara
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Kirsten, yes! I feel like knowledge is power. I don’t want to feel like I’m under pressure when it’s time to decide. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

• Fori
    4 år siden

I finished my backsplash and secondary countertop about 3 years after the rest of the kitchen. It's a long time to live with plywood and scuffed paint.

It's not too early to start looking. :)

• daralikesara
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Haha @Fori.

• chispa
    4 år siden

Encore tiles would give you the look you want.

I also disagree with Jan that "no one ever regretted simple". Plenty of people regret going too safe with their choices after the project is done.

I used Taj Mahal quartzite and used a tone on tone pattern from Encore. Most here would have said it would look busy by just seeing a sample, but in reality the overall look and result is not busy.

• hollybar
    4 år siden

Take a look at Waterworks. Partly because of the variation in their "white" tile,partly because of the trims available.

• bardzil
    4 år siden

what did you end up going with? I am looking for the same thing now for my backsplash.

• daralikesara
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

You’d think with all the time that’s passed, I’d have a definitive answer. I am still waiting to see how much extra marble I’ll have. It will likely be a mix of the same marble as the counters and a subway. Sow process for us!

• Myshel Mazzone
    sidste år

I 100% know slow. Started 3 years ago and have all base & upper cabinets but no drawers or doors, no island. I do have counter top that I’m already regretting:( I too wanted marble and everyone talked negative about it so I kinda spontaneously went with soapstone. I do like the stone but my issue is finding a backsplash I like with it. I really like soft palette. Very monochromatic. I just don’t like the harshness of the tiles next to the soapstone. I wish I would have just even went plain white quartz. With the white there are so many white colored tiles, zellige, subways that just smoothly transition. With the dark black I’m really struggling. I really like more European style kitchens. I’m noticing when they use soapstone they don’t have a full tile backsplash. They just do like a 3-5” boarder on the wall and keep the wall plain. Now I get it. I even thought maybe I would just do bead-board because it blends better with the soapstone but hubby says it’s not particle for water and by the range. This has been so stressful. I’m so worried I’m going to hate my kitchen that I’ve waited so long to do. I do love my cabinets. They are custom inset cabinets and one whole wall is glass doors. They are not painted yet. Again another thing this soapstone threw me off. I originally was going all white but now with the soapstone I don’t like the white. I don’t want a black & white kitchen. It’s too harsh of a difference next to each other. I’m just kicking my self for getting talked into this soapstone. I’ve been looking at paint colors more in the greige family and I do definitely like it better next to the soapstone. It’s just my white , marble , soft palette kitchen has completely turned into something else😞
    I just have to try and embrace it. I’ve seen more of the moody kitchens and do like some. I just never thought I would have one. If anyone has any backsplash ideas with soapstone and it does have white veining with greige cabinets I welcome your suggestions. I will see if I can post some what of a picture. Sorry I wrote a book!
    Thank you for listening.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.