brooklyngirl8

Can I realistically refinish a chair all by myself?

Christine W
10 år siden
I have 3 tall barstools. Currently the stools are stained a dark brown and covered in a (now) gross and rather gnarly dark taupe chennille. I will be reupholstering the seat cushions myself using the fabric shown on the chair BUT... I would love to refinish the stained wood of the chair frames in a cream matching the cream detail in the fabric. My concerns are these.
A) How and what do I have to do EXACTLY to get the stain off and the frames painted white?
B) What type of paint should I use? The more durable the better
C) What type of sealant should I use to make the frames hold up for the duration since tons of kids will be crawling all over them.
D) Can I do this by hand or should I rent one of those sprayers?
E) Has anyone else gone from wood to white or cream and regretted it? If so, why?
Thanks

(11) kommentarer

• PRO
    Bizzy Lizzy Designs, Inc.
    10 år siden
    After cleaning and a light scuffing up with fine sandpaper, prime with Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3. It is waterbased and sticks very well. Then you'll do two coats of paint, latex would be easier than oil base because of clean up and drying time. Thin coats are better than thick. Watch for drips and runs. Choose a satin or semigloss sheen for easy clean up. Latex paint takes about two weeks to cure and it should not be scrubbed until cured. A latex enamel will be harder once dry.
    Christine W thanked Bizzy Lizzy Designs, Inc.
  • bungalowmo
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I was gonna say....who is "Mr. "EYES"?? :0)

Now...can you do this? Yes, as long as you don't let your own fear get in the way.

The stain on those stools can be removed with different grits of sandpaper. You won't need anything too coarse. But that should be able to be scrubbed right down to the wood. Practice the painting on some wood scraps. I've gotten them at Lowes from the "board cutting area" (haha) in the scrap pile they're throwing away.

The seat pad should be able to be removed from underneath. Replace the foam if it's funky. Again...practice with some scap fabric...then when you got it down...do the real fabric. That should be able to go on with a staple gun.

I agree with the Zinsser primer! Great stuff. You might want to try using spray paint rather than a brush. As mentioned, several light coats are better than heavy.

There have been so many projects where I wondered if I could really do it. I'd watch you tube videos until my eyballs hurt, but learned a ton in the process.

Your own self confidence begins with one small project...just like this one. When you're done, you'll say....YEAH..."I" did that!!! :0)

I was SO proud when I had to work on my hot water boiler system & actually knew what I was doing!!!
    Christine W thanked bungalowmo
  • Christine W
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Ok. I will get on to youtube asap and start trolling. I would love to avoid using an Alkyd since they are slowly being phased out and I cannot stomach the stink. I am a total baller so I don't mind taking time to sand the frames down. Worse case if I screw it up is to bring on a pro. thank you all for the advice. I feel empowered to take a swing at it. I don't know who Mr. Smolder is either. I just love his eyes. I obviously clicked on the wrong slide but at least I can print him out and hang him in the garage and have him stare at me while I sand away. Thanks Houzzers!
  • lucidos
    10 år siden
    Jesse Williams. Google is amazing I just dropped the pic in the image search.
    Christine W thanked lucidos
  • sbrustein
    10 år siden
    Please repost after you finish . It's going to be stunning and I can't wait to see it and applaud the results. Good luck!!
    Christine W thanked sbrustein
  • Christine W
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Well Lucidos. I am going to Google the heck outta Jesse Williams and hang that picture of him in my garage and stare at his eyes everytime I feel like my project is going to hell in a handbasket. Wish me luck folks!
  • User
    10 år siden
    Don't over think this. Sand well, clean, spray a primer and spray the color on in several light coats. Let dry well between coats and sand lightly. Finish with a clear spray finish. I've done this, it works well and there aren't brush lines to deal with.
  • lucidos
    10 år siden
    Ha! Christine you'll be fine. Take your time with it. Personally, I prefer the small roller to the brush. If you do brush - long strokes in the same direction no splish splosh x's. Get a good brush. Put the brush (or roller) in the freezer in a plastic bag when ever you have to walk away from the project.

I know you are opposed to the Akyld paint the stuff does stink terribly can't blame you there. Just that I am so impressed with that paint, seriously, Brillo and it's still perfect!!!
  • Christine W
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Well folks tried to start the project only to find my heavy duty stapler is not strong enough to pierce the batting, fabric and seat wood so I am off to try and rent a compressor and find the appropriate neumatic staple gun. Also the hubby has his back up over the white. He seems to think cleaning it when it gets messy will add to his honey do list.

Lucidos - White chairs Yay! 30 days for it all to cure and finally use boo! Not to mention the stank of smelling that stuff for like EVAH!!!
  • lucidos
    10 år siden
    Oh no you can use them after a few days you just have to be cautious cleaning them and not use strong abrasives (steel wool pad) til then. There is also a trick of putting vanilla extract into the paint. I painted mine outdoors with the dogs, cats and all of the neighbor kids "helping" it was really funny.

Yes the pneumatic will help tons. Actually the white is easier to clean cause you see the icky gooey stuff. Pokes you to remember to tell the children "hands ON the table please".
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.