kayla_wolf

Honey Oak Cabinet facelift before/after - do we paint!?

Kayla S
5 år siden

We took a stab at giving our new kitchen a facelift. Before picture is 1st and the photos below show the after-we have updated the countertops with quartz, new Kohler sink/faucet, backsplash, lighting, paint and hardware. The next step is updating the flooring, adding a pantry (and maybe a few cabinet doors) with glass doors to cut down on the oak overload. Finally, debating this-do we paint the cabinets? Note: we will be leaving the trim the honey oak, we have far too many windows and a slightly rustic home so white trim isn't in the cards. Thoughts?

(35) kommentarer

• flopsycat1
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Great improvemen! What are you planning for the floor? Agree with Lion....no paint for the cabinets.

Kayla S thanked flopsycat1
  • gm_tx
    5 år siden

Nice updates! I vote for not painting the cabinets. Looks great, and they seem to go with the style of your home ... other trim work, etc.

Kayla S thanked gm_tx
  • mark_rachel
    5 år siden

Very nice job! I would probably change the light over the sink to go with your other lights, but I would keep cabinets as is.

Kayla S thanked mark_rachel
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 år siden

I wouldn't paint the cabinets, but there are a few more smaller upgrades you can make. Get some newer cabinet hardware and a more simple light above the sink. Great job so far!

Kayla S thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • pdjh
    5 år siden
    Big improvement! Looks great! I like that the cabinets and your window trim match.
    Kayla S thanked pdjh
  • Bri Bosh
    5 år siden
    Agree with others, leave the cabinets! Maybe a change to flooring is possible?
    Kayla S thanked Bri Bosh
  • chloebud
    5 år siden

Nice! Getting rid of that green paint makes the cabinets look less orange. Probably the lighting, too.

Kayla S thanked chloebud
  • colonel115
    5 år siden

Agree. No to painting the cabinets. Changes look nice.

Kayla S thanked colonel115
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 år siden

Wow, I agree with everyone--the changes are very nice, and complement the oak cabinets. The kitchen has a sort of craftsman vibe now, and that would be negated by painting them. In addition, to paint now is doing things backwards.

I love the new pendant lights and the backsplash tile is very interesting.

What are you thinking of doing with the floor?

Kayla S thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • let1950
    5 år siden
    Backsplash tile is interesting; I like it. I also don’t have a problem with your floor tile. I think changing your cupboard hardware to something more substantial would be worth considering.
    Kayla S thanked let1950
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år siden

i also concur w/everyone. looks great w/the wood cabs. Digging the craftsman look.

I like your backsplash. Hate your outlet covers. try and find something a bit better that blends w/that beautiful tile, especially that large one w/the two switches. (why wouldn't you have made that smaller or moved it up before tiling) ?

Kayla S thanked Beth H. :
  • Daniela Marino
    5 år siden

I like it very much! And think your floor bends nicely now, is it in bad condition?

Kayla S thanked Daniela Marino
  • PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    5 år siden

People often think that painting cabinets will make them look as good as new, as a professional I can tell you that unless your cabinets look horrible don't touch them. You did a great job!

Kayla S thanked Pearl Remodeling
  • User
    5 år siden

Beautiful transformation! Cabinets look great as is!

Kayla S thanked User
  • MizLizzie
    5 år siden

Nice. I agree that a more sleek looking light over the sink is about all that’s needed. I think the cabs are lovely. You did a great job.

Kayla S thanked MizLizzie
  • arcy_gw
    5 år siden

WOW your pictures really are a testament to what color and light does to wood tones. Your cabinets sure look like you gave them a face lift i.e. cleaned even freshened the poly. As far as what else you could do, I would MAYBE, because I love the look, camouflage the soffit. With trim and veneer it is possible to hide the soffit and make it look like you have taller cabinets. Paint is for lower grade wood. Not something to do if you already have top of the line hardwood.

Kayla S thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år siden

Get rid of the incandecsent lighting and you might be surprised how much you like the cabinets as they are.

Kayla S thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    5 år siden

That's a great update. I would not recommend painting the cabinets. I would save your budget for the floor.

Kayla S thanked Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • Cor
    5 år siden

I agree with the above comment about the outlets. On the peninsula, try to find a wood one to blend in with the cabinets and try to find ones that blend with your backsplash better. New hardware on the cabinets would make a huge impact as well. I am pretty sure I don't like the flooring - it's a bit busy - competing against the grain in the oak and the backsplash. I think I'd learn towards something with a smaller pattern. Great job on the kitchen though. It's so satisfying to work with what you have.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 år siden

change outlet covers & look for new hardware.... is the flooring staying?

Kayla S thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • ljoma
    5 år siden

I love the cabinets the way they are, and the floor, while not exceptional, looks very nice with the rest of the room.

Kayla S thanked ljoma
  • arcy_gw
    5 år siden

I looked and looked then re-read. The hardware has been updated. It goes very well with the lights and appliances!!!

Kayla S thanked arcy_gw
  • lightlystarched
    5 år siden

The kitchen is beautiful! What are the backsplash tiles?

Kayla S thanked lightlystarched
  • Kayla S
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thank you everyone!

This is the flooring we were considering. Feedback welcome! The photo of the sample is below but this is a link to the sample and is more accurate: https://coretecfloors.com/broad-spar-oak-vv024-00710/

Question about the hardware...it's hard to tell but we actually did update it. Originally, they were super ornate. We had a hard time finding the right size hardware to avoid having to drill new holes in the cabinet so we went w/ something very basic. Would love to see what type of hardware you would have gone with?

Our backsplash is Ann Sacks Savoy Field Tile.

Agree w/ the recommended changes about the light above the sink and updating light fixtures.

• PRO
    5 år siden

Re your flooring, I think I'd go with something a bit darker and/or warmer.

Maybe St. Andrews Oak?

https://coretecfloors.com/st-andrews-oak-vv024-00209/

Or Waterfront Oak?

https://coretecfloors.com/waterfront-oak-vv024-00703/

Or Kingswood Oak?

https://coretecfloors.com/kingswood-oak-vv024-00210/

Here are some photos of kitchens with stained wood cabinets and wood floors for you to consider:

Kitchen · Mere information

Lakeville Residence · Mere information

Craftsman Kitchen · Mere information

2009 Southern Accents Showhome · Mere information

Old World antique pine with custom tile backsplash · Mere information

Or perhaps do something totally different, like a limestone or slate-look porcelain tile?

Traditional Kitchen · Mere information

Tuscan Farmhouse · Mere information

French Country Home · Mere information

Quaktertown Kitchen · Mere information

Hunter's Creek Remodeling · Mere information

• zealart
    5 år siden

Looks fantastic. The choice of tile works so well in this space. Even the floor looks fine in the meantime.

• JustDoIt
    5 år siden

Look great. No paint.

• ljptwt7
    5 år siden
    Nice job! If you think you have too much wood, and are adding wood floor, how about just changing the door? Is it a closet or pantry or an outside door? If a pantry, would a frosted glass door look nice? Just a suggestion because you mentioned adding glass doors.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    5 år siden

Looks great!

• PRO
    NHance Wood Refinishing
    5 år siden

Going with a darker stain on the cabinets could be a good option if you would like to avoid painting but still update the look of an oak cabinet. I would just caution you from going too dark as it is a smaller kitchen and with the dark counter tops it may look too dark overall. Here are some colors that may be able to achieve a middle ground of darker, but not too dark.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/c5/f8/67/c5f867e825cecb6aa1a026f41534c387--knotty-alder-drawers.jpg

http://wendyontheweb.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/stained-cabinets-colors-fabulous-1000-images-about-cabinet-stain-paint-hood-faux-patina-on-of-stained-cabinets-colors.jpg

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/maintenance-and-repair/cleaning/how-to-clean-wood-cabinets

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 år siden

Your kitchen looks amazing and your cabinets are gorgeous -- so versatile and timeless that they will be perfect regardless of the style changes you introduce in your home. Definitely no to painting them.

• User
    5 år siden

normally I love natural wood, but I might be the lone naysayer here -- I'd either paint or change out the doors. I'm not a fan of that style. (is that called raised panel?) it looks like 80s country to me. if it were my kitchen, I'd replace the doors with a slab or shaker style in a matching wood tone. if budget does not allow for that, then a medium or darker paint color could help make them a bit more current.

although that wood is pretty. perhaps you might wait until you do the new floor? that may be the final change this kitchen needs.

I LOVE your backsplash choice, by the way!

• PRO
    5 år siden

BF, yes the cabinets have a raised panel door style, which doesn't date from the 1980s, but the 1700s in America, the invention of which was superior to the common board-and-batten doors.

From the "Old House Online" website:

"Around 1700, the batten door was followed by the frame-and-panel door, more commonly called a raised-panel door. These are constructed of vertical wood stiles and horizontal rails that hold one or more “floating” recessed panels in place. Because pieces were designed to interlock without nails, the raised-panel door was less subject to seasonal expansion and contraction—a significant improvement over battened planks."

I think the plain raised panel door is a classic and looks beautiful in Kayla's kitchen!

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5 år siden

The kitchen looks amazing with the cabinets as they are! I would not paint them. Love the kitchen! Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.