ebspublic

Need suggestions to finish family room

ebspublic
7 år siden
Having trouble deciding on a lamp style for the corner table, accent pillows for the two chairs and what to put on the back wall as a focal point. Thought maybe the lamp with the clear base. The table top is a grey similar to the ottoman color.

(70) kommentarer

• ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thank you freedomplace1 and linlac- great ideas! I have gotten several comments that I need a tall piece on the back wall- a cabinet or bookcase. I originally had a big cabinet there but it was too big. What would you all think of me putting the pachinko machine (see picture) in a frame with legs so that it would stand eyeball height on the back wall in the dead space beyond the couch. It would only project out about 9 inches. Then have an art grouping over the chair to the right? I could paint the frame an accent color. Would that help with the height issue or look too juvenile?
  • SandyC.
    7 år siden
    Could you center the sofa under the window and move the tv to the wall where the chairs are, maybe on a longer console. Then move the chairs to the tv wall.
  • jeannethebeanie
    7 år siden
    I'm agreeing with SandyC. You need to get the furniture arranged differently and THEN do the accent colors. The furniture you have us beautiful, but looks awkward the way it is set up now.
  • PRO
    User
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Yes, yes, yes to the lamp you've picked out --it would look great in that room! I also, like your throw pillows. I would maybe add a faux fur throw pillow to add some texture. Also, anchor the space with a large rug --something light with a subtle geometric line pattern. For the back wall, I'd do a large sunburst mirror or something similar. I think you also need a few plants. Other than that the space looks great. You have a good eye for matching patterns and coordinating it with solids.

Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Roon & Rahn
    7 år siden

I would recommend a big painting with a bright color. That would bring contrast to your room:) We did the same thing in our room with a big painting and a turquoise sofa.

• linlac
    7 år siden
    Would you be willing to try the furniture in a different arrangement? You could always put it back. At a minimum I would move the end table and slide the sofa down. That would give the chairs more room to be positioned correctly.
  • PRO
    Alvitra Hand Blown Glass Lighting
    7 år siden

what about the glass wall art? We create hand blown glass installations ready

to hang. We would be happy to help you customize your project.

Alvitra Design

• michelleh114
    7 år siden

@linlac This room is amazing!

• ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Hi All,
    Yes, I am willing to consider a different layout but here is the dilemma- the couch has to be positioned so my Hubble sees the tv. If the tv goes on the far wall it would be the focal point from the kitchen. The tv can't go next to the small window because there is not enough space. There is an opening to the music room on the tv wall. The sofa is one piece- doesn't come apart. I can slide it further down the wall it is on -but wouldn't that crowd the chairs? I am trying to keep both chairs in the room if possible to provide enough seating.
  • linlac
    7 år siden

Not toward the chairs but the other way. You would have to move the end table. In place of the end table you could use a c table or a tray on the ottoman. Is the couch too wide to face toward the large blank wall with room for a pass through? If so you could put the tv on the large wall flanked by the two chairs. Add a sofa table so you're not looking at the back of the sofa.

• SandyC.
    7 år siden
    Move the sofa down so it's centered with the window, put the round table that's between the chairs on the end. Get a large arc lamp for over the sofa at that end. Move one chair on other side of sofa and small round table to the left of the other chair. The chair arrangement looks awkward to me anyways. Thoughts?
  • SandyC.
    7 år siden
    I believe the sofa is too wide to put on back wall or face back wall correct? What's on other side of the room?
  • linlac
    7 år siden

If she moves the sofa toward the chairs it will be to far from the tv. The room is open to the kitchen? My thoughts if the sofa is too wide to face the wall is to move it the other way. The sofa will be more centered with the tv and the chairs will have room on the large wall. It would look nice centered on the window but I think you would be turning sideways to see the tv.

• SandyC.
    7 år siden
    Can we see the other side of the room?
  • ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Yes, the sofa is too wide to face the back wall. The kitchen flows directly into the family room with a step down. It is almost entirely open. I can try both ideas (centering under the window verses moving it closer to the kitchen) this evening. Then can put pictures up.
  • ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I can also post a picture facing toward the kitchen tonight.
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 år siden

Can you separate the chaise portion from the sofa? If so, then put the two seat sofa on the back wall, angle the chaise between the window and the doorway to the other room and that end of the room becomes your conversation area. Don't worry about any unsightly connectors, they can be hidden with tables, throws and other tricks. Angle the two chairs in front of the TV and place the bench perpendicular to the side walls. Use it to serve as a cross linking piece between the two sitting areas; one for conversation and one for TV watching. Then it will be time to shop for tables, lamps, art and accessories.

• havingfun
    7 år siden

waiting with bated breath deco...

oh i wore myself out shopping, phew! spoonflower has dozens of cool peacock designs in fabric and wallpaper and others too!

pandora fabric - craftyscientists - Spoonflower · Mere information
    pandora's box
    Drowsy Peahen wallpaper - eclectic_house - Spoonflower · Mere information
    just a couple example they have many peacocks

• linlac
    7 år siden
    I like the idea of swapping chairs and sofa. You said hubby sits on the sofa to watch tv. I'm guessing that's non negotiable.
  • JustDoIt
    7 år siden

That is some good looking furniture you chose.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 år siden

Maybe hubby sits on the sofa to watch TV because that's the only seating in front of it. Try the arrangement I suggested and see how he likes sitting in a chair to watch. You might want to get a small footstool for him, if he thinks a chair will work for watching TV. Maybe if you sit there with him it will go down easier! Then we'll find a great table and a lamp for the chairs so it can be a nice reading spot as well. How would you feel about some area rugs?

• ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Options of moving one chair down to kitchen end of couch with couch pushed down towards back wall and having the chairs for tv viewing were not well received lol.
    Hope you all like the arrangement with the chairs on back wall!
    I know it's practically screaming for an area rug in couch area but my kitty is old so I have to be practical. She destroyed my last one.
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 år siden

So, I guess the chaise can't be removed from the basic two-seater?!?

• SandyC.
    7 år siden
    Is the sectional new? Any way it can be exchanged for a sofa, or could it be repurposed in a den or basement? Too bad it is not a good fit for the long, narrow room. The back wall is a problem as the chaise sticks out there, leaving a dead zone.
  • ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Oy Sandy and Deco,
    I guess I made a mistake in getting the sectional but I am going to have to make the best with what I have. Yes, I can take chaise off two seater, but the family loves to sprawl on couch and watch tv. The dead space at the side of the chaise is actually very functional- I have a low trunk there where I can stow everyone's electronics, books, magazines etc quickly and it is totally invisible from the kitchen -so less cluttered. And there is room to add tall greenery beyond the trunk in that back left corner.
    What If I painted the back wall a darker color would that help make the room look less "bowling alley?" Or maybe I do get a reasonably priced area rug (so when kitty pukes I wouldn't be as anxious)?
  • jeannethebeanie
    7 år siden
    I like the idea of a tall plant in that corner!
  • freedomplace1
    7 år siden

You're welcome, Ebspublic. I'm glad the ideas are helpful.

I see you have rearranged the furniture. With this arrangement, I think the sofa may be positioned more comfortably for tv viewing - and some of the sofa is now clear from windows - which is good. Your chair arrangement was fine before. I like the way you had the chairs arranged - and it created another conversation area that was also connected to the sofa. Aesthetically, it was fine. Now, you have more room to spread the chairs out - and chairs are fine on back wall, as well. Either chair arrangement works. Whatever works best for you. When I look at a space, in terms of placement - I use my sense of aesthetics, my intuitive sense of energy flow - and I am also familiar with Feng Shui principles - so I can draw upon that. But the main consideration - is that one feels comfortable in their space. This is your home. Do what feels right to 'you'.

I think with some décor on the back wall, some plants, perhaps - the space will be balanced. I think one large piece would do it - and I would opt for something that has a reflective quality. I think that would work well in the space.

I have to say you have a lovely home. You have made fine choices in furnishings, etc. Beautiful space.

And I don't think you need a rug, btw. The floor looks good without one - and the style works in your space.

• ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thank you freedomplace for the confidence booster!
    I think I have a good idea for moving forward now from everyone helping. Time to stop thinking and start shopping!
  • linlac
    7 år siden
    I think it's going to be beautiful when you're finished. A plant in the corner is a great choice. Then you can add a piece of art above the two chairs. Hope you keep posting so we can see the outcome.
  • ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Will do!
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    7 år siden

I really like your sectional and think it is a great fit for not only the long narrow room but for your family. If everyone climbs on the sofa and the chairs are not needed for tv watching, I would suggest sliding the sofa down even more towards the kitchen. A floor lamp and small stool, wood would be preferred, will still give you light and a place for your drink on the left. The sofa will be nearly centered to the tv. This also gives you more room in back for a more intimate seating arrangement. I like the chairs in there new position. A large piece of art would look great back there along with a tree.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 år siden

If you decide to get a rug, try an indoor/outdoor one that can be taken out and hosed off if kitty has an accident.

• PRO
    User
    7 år siden

Roon & Rahn your style is killer!!

• linlac
    7 år siden
    I just switched out a wool rug for an indoor/outdoor rug. Day one my dog and cat both had accidents. I couldn't believe it wiped right up with no staining.
    For your chairs I would do small lumbar pillows with down fill. You won't have to move them when people sit down. You could use some of the green from the curtains or a combination of navy and green.
  • havingfun
    7 år siden

excuse me. i need to change out the peacock pillow from above. i know i saw it a couple weeks ago, but it is no longer there. so i went shopping and found new ones, nearly identical, much cheaper! oh if we are into cats now, i will give you some of those, i love cat pillows - i lie, i love most animal pillows!

Amazon.com: Generic Custom Pillow With Filler Vintage Blue Elegant Colorful Peac · Mere information
    $3.99!
    Amazon.com: Homecube 18 "X18 " Decorative Peacock Pillowcase Cotton Linen Square · Mere information
    $20 for 2!
    Amazon.com - Nunubee Cotton Linen Cushion Cover Home Decor Square Printed Throw · Mere information
    a real uniter, now you can use any color!

Amazon.com: Seville Stray Cats Pillow Throw Pillow: Home & Kitchen · Mere information
    my gosh what did you do?
    Amazon.com: YOUR SMILE Elephant Cotton Linen Square Decorative Throw Pillow Case · Mere information
    vive la frances!
    Amazon.com: YOUR SMILE Elephant Cotton Linen Square Decorative Throw Pillow Case · Mere information
    i see you!
    Amazon.com: Lyn® Cotton Linen Square Throw Pillow Case Decorative Cushion Cover · Mere information
    note there are 8. it reminds me most of our cat caroline. a tiny thing who is now largest due to weight.
    Decorative Pillows & Accent Pillows | Wayfair · Mere information

Home | Living Room | Pillows | H&M US · Mere information
    why no polka dot cats?
    cat as geometric pattern

• havingfun
    7 år siden

I know, let me know when you want me to take them down. i just love them so much. the second anyone says animal i am on it.

last one.

• olsenla
    7 år siden
    Having fun: love, love, love the many cat pillows!
  • havingfun
    7 år siden

thanks

• jbtanyderi
    7 år siden
    Pick a lamp about 30" tall. Then get a generously sized rug to anchor everything.
  • ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Omg! Just came home and found the awesome pillow festival in my email!
    Havingfun, definitely you live up to your name. My husband asked why I had a goofy expression on my face- the kitty pillows had me in stitches. I can't believe the price on the peacock pillows- going to grab them for the adjoining music room.
    Linlac, I love the idea of lumbar pillows for the chairs and really like the ones you found. I don't see where they are from-can you send me the source?
    I am still deciding on which lamps-jbtanyderi, thank you for the height recommendation. I found a listing of large plants that would do well in that corner location with the indirect morning sun. That reminded me to water my garden tonight!
    Thank you all!
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 år siden

Water gardens in the early morning to prevent mold and mildew.

• linlac
    7 år siden

Those are all from Etsy. Don't know if you are familiar with that site but you can custom order sizes, fabrics, and fill for reasonable prices.

• havingfun
    7 år siden

do you need anymore help? otherwise please let us see when you are done! and remember to have fun with it!

• ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Yes need help! Brought home a few lamps this week. First set had a great swirl base of color but were too skinny for the table. This one seems to be right size but I think it is blah. The two greenhouses I went to have low inventory now- so no plant either.
  • havingfun
    7 år siden

19 Inch Turquoise Lamp - Table Lamps at Hayneedle · Mere information

• ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    The bottom one is similar to the one I picked earlier in the week. But when I put it on the round table,the base looked too small relatively. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture.
  • havingfun
    7 år siden

sorry, did not see, i was thinking the darker shade would give it more height width look.

sticking to the theme

Signature Design by Ashley Saher L100254 Table Lamp - Table Lamps at Hayneedle · Mere information

$10 - $100 Table Lamps | Lamps Plus · Mere information
    you seem to want airy yet it will appear definitely wider.

one of my favorites, what frightened it?

Discount Table Lamps on Hayneedle - Table Lamps On Sale - Page 3 · Mere information

• ebspublic
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Leaning tower of lamp!
  • Bo Behrens
    7 år siden

Leaning tower of lamp!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.