stephanie_martin2227847

What to do with his pine??

Stephanie Martin
10 år siden
This is what we found behind 1940's wallpaper. We are almost finished removing all the old glue and are stuck between painting and staining. We have wood floors similar to the colors of this pine and our dining table and china cabinet are wood. Plus our china cabinet has some fancy items in it so I'm struggling with how to make this not look odd! This is not panneling, it's just the original way the whole house is built. Help!!

(68) kommentarer

• Stephanie Martin
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I will add some window info later today. I really appreciate all this wonderful feedback! I am glad I posted!
  • houssaon
    10 år siden
    I like the look of white washed pine or a colored stain. Benjamine Moore has a wide range of stain colors.

Look how pretty this is:
    Ranch Style by the Lake · Mere information

This dark stain has a masculine feel to it: This pale taupe is a neutral backdrop:
    Traditional Living Room · Mere information
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år siden
    Once you paint, you can go with any window treatment. I would like to see panels to soften the room.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år siden
    Actually, though, paint is the last thing you should do. So have in mind what you want for the rest of the room. Reupholster chairs? Photo?
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Normally I would be screaming at the top of my lungs DO NOT PAINT!! But everybody is correct. It is construction grade material. soberg has it right. Use Kilz or a similiar product first. I would use several coats to ensure it is sealed. Does it still have a pine smell? That's a sure sign it needs the Kilz. I would use a regular primer too. Don't scrimp on this part :)
  • Stephanie Martin
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    this is the cabinet that's in the room and we have the table that matches, I don't have a picture of the table on hand. That's all we have in the room now. We have been slowly filling the house with random things I buy in auctions (addiction) and so far the table, cabinet and contents in cabinet are all I have purchased so far.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    I would keep it that way, or wash it with some color, but not solid paint. What look are you going for???
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Staining and whitewashing would be beautiful, but think about your style preferences. You could go Little House On The Prairie really quick. If you are considering a stain, try it in an inconspicuous spot. Pine sap stays and stays! Also, you don't know what else could have gotten on the wood during construction. Machinery oil, for example?
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    If you don't have plenty of natural light coming in or you don't plan to put in bright, clean, clear colored lighting, stay away from darker paint or stain. I would stay with a cooler color, too. Your pine floors will cast a yellowish cast on the walls and furniture.
  • Stephanie Martin
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I don't smell pine, but it could be overpowered by the smell of the OLD glue we are removing from the wallpaper we took down. To be honest I suck because I like so many things and I know nothing goes together but I get real attracted to the history of an item and bring it home. I tell people I like country cottage chic but what that really means versus what's in my head may vary! :). I like a cozy feeling to my home, if that makes any sense.
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Having that cozy feeling is the most important thing! I do the same thing - I said I wasn't going to bring one single non-contempory thing into our new to us contempory home, but I've already gotten a small bench I'm going to use Annie Sloan chaulk paint on and I kept a small English armoire I swore I was going to sell before we moved. Oh well....... :D
  • Stephanie Martin
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Annie Sloan only made my problem worse. I bring home things I never would have before because I am certain I can paint it and make it of use. I am sure designer's heads would explode if they entered my home. I am so glad I found this site, all these creative, knowledgable brains in one spot is like striking gold to a first time homebuyer on a budget like me!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år siden
    My rule is if you want a contemporary feel, use only 20% antiques, or it begins to look like the antique dumping ground.

So, set a rule of thumb like this for yourself somewhere in that range. I don't count your china cabinet as being antique because it has such clean lines.

So, far you are at zero (unless you add your china).

Okay, you can go to an auction today after all!! haha

My Mom used to go to auctions and I have a few of the things she bought. A long, church kneeler is one of my favorites.

Okay, we are going country cottage chic.
  • Rina
    10 år siden
    How smooth does it feel to the touch? If it's at all rough you are going to have to do a lot of sanding before painting. Paint doesn't hide rough patches, it accentuates them. My first feeling was to re-paper with a paintable wallpaper -- not textured, just plain paintable and tough. I'm also a "woodsman, spare that tree" kind of person, but sometimes the tree needs paint on it. If it is smooth, well, panelling can look wonderful painted. Given your magpie tendencies, go neutral, of course. You never know when you want to bring home something purple.
  • Rina
    10 år siden
    PS Your cabinet is a beauty.
  • PRO
    Madeleine Lamont
    10 år siden
    Place some nice art work, contact me at madeleinelamont@rogers.com or view my work at madeleinelamont@rogers.com I have new .paintings in my Toronto studio
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år siden
    Before you decide on a paint color, buy a rug or a piece of art and then you can go from there (no, I do not sell art, rugs or any product!)
  • halfpint2
    10 år siden
    Sand it down and paint it a light color!
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Wow! It looks great! Love the color you chose, too :))
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år siden
    Looks great!!

What are your decor ideas?

I would say goodbye to little plant and small table in the corner.
    Are you in love with the runner? I would say goodbye to that, too.

Need window treatments to soften.
  • bluenan
    10 år siden
    It looks great, well worth the effort!
  • Stephanie Martin
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    The plant normally goes on the little table outside but is in for winter. The room is essentially empty bc we haven't used this side of the house. So I am all open to ideas. Also super budget ideas. Lol. The table runner was from fall but we started this ro then so it is just leftover from then.
  • PRO
    Cate Comerford Design PLLC
    10 år siden
    White-wash the walls with a light paint color that is thinned down with a product called Flotrol.
  • PRO
    Cate Comerford Design PLLC
    10 år siden
    Here is sample photo of this product used on a wood wall. The paint color here was BM Clay Beige that was thinned down with Flotrol.
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    She's got her paint, folks!!
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    What style are you going for?
  • syncope
    10 år siden
    You've accomplished a great deal. CDR is correct about softening windows and I see you have what appears to be a window AC unit. Perhaps something along this line would do the trick. I'm not crazy about the colors but I think the idea has potential

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lush-Decor-Lydia-Beige-Valance/7356928/product.html?refccid=EX4NTSVSBRRK6ECNKRNWSDWPXQ&searchidx=395

Sorry I couldn't just straight post a picture but the site didn't allow a copy/paste.
  • syncope
    10 år siden
    I believe she mentioned cottage chic earlier?
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    A shade like that would be great and would work well in that space. The table appears to be too close to the window.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år siden
    Okay, let's get started and do this on a small budget

-Remove all from the table (no cost)
    -Recover chairs (very little cost DIY project)
    -Cabinet---does it need rearranging? (no cost)
    -Place 2 end chairs off to the side (against back wall or side wall-need more photos) Chairs will be on the sides only (no cost)
    -Do you have a large bowl or something to put in the center? Something blue? (no cost)

Need photo of cabinet and photos of the room from other angles
  • mickisue
    10 år siden
    What a project! And it turned out great. What we do to our houses to save our plants, huh?

Can the plant go somewhere else, and the little stand into hiding for the winter? All that hard work you did, and the eye is drawn to the stand, because it's out of place.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 år siden
    Ahem...Please excuse me , but speaking on behalf of others, i like that plant, but not its location.
  • marilyn3780
    10 år siden
    We had a similar problem in a family room. We covered it with bead board and painted it. Brightened up the room and provided a nice surface to paint.
  • Helen Way
    10 år siden
    Don't ever cover up natural wood
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Helen, what would you have done differently?
  • runnergirln
    10 år siden
    Was this a water based paint used on the walls above?
  • Helen Way
    10 år siden
    Leave it as is but I think u should stain it with a protection. If you were ever to sell you house natural wood has a lot of price value plus lots of people like it.
  • runnergirln
    10 år siden
    Sorry I was directing my question to Cate Comerford, AIA PLLC. I want to know if this BM white washed paneling was painted with oil or latex paint?
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Helen, in this case the natural wood is construction grade wood. It is what the house was constructed of in the 1940's, not what was used to finish off the interior. They tore off the original wallpaper and this is what they found. Most people would run away screaming. Short of sheetrocking or panelling the whole room, this solution worked out best and most economically for them. It turned out to be a beautiful solution, too!
  • Rina
    10 år siden
    Lovely result, Stephanie. You're not going to have to do much at all to bring it to be exactly what you want. I'd like to see art to the left of the window. When the budget allows, a generous-sized rug might add to the cosiness but I'm not sure about that as we'd need to see the whole room and whether the floor is too nice to cover.
  • wlkgbrz
    10 år siden
    I would use a colored stain/wash. If you want to stay in a wood tone, then I use painted furniture in the room. I really like the look of the wood, removing the glue must have been tedious but worth it.
  • syncope
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    For those of you who haven't read through the complete thread prior to commenting, the paint has been applied and the results are lovely (see pictures above). Stephanie is now moving on to other parts of the room, I believe.
  • feeny
    10 år siden
    Beautiful result!
  • happyasaclam
    10 år siden
    Also, Stephanie has let us know that the plant is in its WINTER home. It needs to stay there for now!
  • Margaret B
    10 år siden
    Looks fabulous! So much more interesting than drywall or plaster. I can't wait to see what you do next.
  • Stephanie Martin
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks all for the input! Yes, the walls are done. It wasn't good looking to leave bare. We are super happy with the finished product. And yes, the plant and it's stand are hibernating for the time being. The only things that are permanent are the hutch and table. And that's the only places they fit! All else is open.
    I will take more photos so it helps see what's happening in there. I love all the help.
  • Stephanie Martin
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Also, maybe I'll start a new post when I do post more photos to help with the confusion... ;)
  • Rina
    10 år siden
    Please, if you start a new post, give us the url here so that we can find you again.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år siden
    Stephanie. You've done a great job.

Just a note to some of you who may be new to Houzz: some people do not read. I am not sure what they are thinking. It doesn't matter how many times you post that the room is now painted, the poster does not want to move the plant, etc, some newcomer, apparently reading only the original post, will chime in with an idea that has been decided or discussed.

I actually came up with an acronym: "D and D" (discussed and decided).

Now, I just move on, because I figured out, they probably also do not read the posts where you tell them that the issue has already been discussed.

Some posters are so kind and keep explaining.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.