What would you put here?

lighow
10 år siden
Picture? Paper towel dispenser? Rack?

(58) kommentarer

• PRO
    George Ramos Woodworking Inc
    10 år siden
    Tile it or leave it blank. A mirror has no place there. If it was a very fancy and or ultra modern space then maybe but based on the simplicity of the room I think a mirror would look like you were trying too hard. Subway tiles always work in these applications.
  • PRO
    Capitol Group Kitchen and Bath Center
    10 år siden
    Improved function and look is what's needed so, remove the two upper wall cabinet doors and white putty the hinge holes. Install a white valance below the wall cabinet. Add a light behind the valance. Use the now open cabinet for colorful bowls and cups that can be used in the microwave.
    Tile the entire backsplash in the kitchen with glass subway tile in a green, tan, or gray color. More light and color will create a fun and functional improved look.
  • charliebeth
    10 år siden
    Another post on Houzz yesterday was of a kichen with a mirrored backsplash...and they were asking if they should take it down. You might want to try to find that thread to see what that looks like. Most of the posters on that thread were saying it was too dated looking and encouraged the homeowner to remove the mirrored backsplash. Not trying to be disagreeable with Cathy above, however. Mirror gets spashed while washing dishes and you will find you are constantly wiping it down.Just my humble opinion.
  • armygirl1987
    10 år siden
    Nothing
  • PRO
    Envision 3D Home & Landscape Design, LLC ™
    10 år siden
    Subway tiles would be a classic choice, as noted by many commenters. But you might also consider a slender glass tile in a colorful hue that is pulled from the rest of the room, combined with stone tiles of the same size and shape mixed in. They look great in a space like yours laid horizontally. A good tile store will have many of these to choose from, as they are a very hot trend that lend a modern vibe. It will look radiantly translucent and add depth to the kitchen, which seems (from this photo) to need some color and depth.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år siden
    I have used a mirror to not feel so confined. It will bring more natural light from other areas. Just feels more comfortable.
  • pegonia1
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I have almost the identical size space above my sink and I have a picture. I am not a messy person, so it only needs to be wiped down on rare occasions. Paper towels might be convenient, but would look tacky.
  • Margo
    10 år siden
    Expect the unexpected- and someone said I didn't have an imagination Hah;)
    Jackalope, Adhesive Wall Decal · Mere information
  • spacidy
    10 år siden
    I saw something on a blog today that had a menu board above the sink. I can't find the blog now, but those DIY menu boards are all over Pinterest. It was cute & functional.
  • anne dee
    10 år siden
    the tiled back splash in this inspiration pic would look nice
    Miller Kitchen · Mere information
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 år siden
    Consider a wall clock
  • PRO
    Envision 3D Home & Landscape Design, LLC ™
    10 år siden
    Yes, the image that anne dee posted captures what I was trying to describe. Great look. Also, consider a shelf over the tile. You can place changeable items on it, such as a clock, a menu board, cannisters, keepsake/photo, Jackalope head (LOL), etc.
  • Don Or Janet Cook
    10 år siden
    Maybe even a tiled niche between the studs with the backsplash? Or is that too "bathroomy"? Could be a nice spot for pretty dish soap container and hand lotion.
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    10 år siden
    What is your budget? It looks like a tiny kitchen. The space is too small for a knick knack shelf and a mirror will just be a mess. Tile from wall to wall and between the upper cabinets and splash is the best choice. Make sure to run it behind the stove. If you need a lower cost option a 4 x 8 sheet of wood bead board can go a long way in a small kitchen. It makes a nice back splash with a washable gloss paint finish. A vinyl wallpaper is the least expensive option. There are wall papers that look like tile.
  • nwduck
    10 år siden
    What if you found some tiles that are sold as hanging art pieces? I've seen small ones, so you could do a series that appealed to you, or one big one (like a 12"x12"). Local weekend street markets are a good source, if there is one in your area. That way, if it got grungy, you're in the right place to give it a quick wash!
  • regina5697
    10 år siden
    Consider a mirror that looks like a window.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1301480
  • Monica Towns
    10 år siden
    A mirror or mirror tile would be really nice. Just a quick wipe clean every day will keep it looking great. OR. A favorite landscape picture to help you "escape" as you stand at the sink washing pots Both would be nice. Happy decorating!
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    I like the menu board idea a lot! Or a chalk board to write fun notes. Maybe an inspirational piece on wood.
  • Christine Watts C.
    10 år siden
    Lots of good ideas given here already--I too face a wall at the sink, and I've been wanting to purchase some wallpaper-like scene in a washable material that could take being splashed on, and wiped clean--something along the lines of an outdoor Italian countryside scene would be nice--just something to look at while washing the dishes instead of a blank wall--right now I've placed a musical clock over the sink that is pretty, and plays a tune on the hour--it's better than staring at nothing but wall board anyway, and costs lots less than most things I've thought of putting there--I also liked the idea of placing a mirror there that resembles a window--but maybe just covering half the space since I, myself, don't enjoy the idea of just having to stare at myself the entire time I'm standing there, lol.:)
  • carol103
    10 år siden
    I would have put white subway tiles on the walls, keeping it light and airy. I would pick up color with accents on the counters, towels, utensils, etc.
  • carol103
    10 år siden
    The colors are off. The walls are a yellowish/gold and the sink looks pink. Not great combinations.
  • Rawketgrl
    10 år siden
    Paper towel vote practical and sanitary
  • Cynthia Celenza
    10 år siden
    My vote is for a pretty tile or stainless to help the light reflect back in that small area.
  • trolauemicol
    10 år siden
    I saw a small kitchen space that had a window on the wall adjacent to the sink area and they mirrored JUST behind the sink with tile on either side and it made the space feel light and bright as the window was reflected in the mirror (as a result of the angle from which the camera snapped). You could always find a mirror from a thrift shop that is about the size of that space and place behind the sink and try using for a week or so to figure out if it works for you or if the maintenance would be too much.
  • PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    10 år siden
    Tile back-splash and hanging wine glass rack
  • lighow
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Great suggestions. Budget is tight so I think I will try either a mirror or a faux tile backsplash.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 år siden
    A nice large painted plate, antique or not.. in a plate holder that will simply hang on wall and serves no function but looks nice while you wash dishes. I bought some hand painted French Haviland plates on Ebay. You have a modern spot so I'd think a lacquer platter with a fun design would look nice. TJ Maxx would be an easy place to find a large platter.. The plate hangers are cheap.. I got mine at a Michaels' art supply.
  • Christine Watts C.
    10 år siden
    Trompe l'oeil--that's what I was trying to say when it came to what to place on that wall above the sink--thanks Scott design inc.! Some scene that is enjoyable to view while standing there doing dishes--that's the plan I have for my own wall space above my sink, so I agree with you.:)
  • lvanderhoek
    10 år siden
    I'd suggest a neutral subway tile back splash right up to the cabinets to enlarge the space
  • oxen
    10 år siden
    No paper towel holder please. I like the large plate idea. I also like grouping molds together (copper, wood, ceramic). My last idea-- have u seen the Dickens tiles u can buy at nice shops. You have a huge choice. You group them together on walls. Google them so u can see what I'm talking about. You could do 4 in that space.
    If u like music, choose a music tile. Choose tiles according to your personality, likes, etc.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 år siden
    I have a stone type of sculpture in that space, in my kitchen. It has a loose form and a boat in it, my kitchen is nautical themed.

Whatever you put there, make sure it can wipe down easily...it will get dirty from cooking.
  • judith1922
    10 år siden
    stainless steel backsplash
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10 år siden
    Subway tile backsplash for sure. Our pearl subway would look great in your kitchen, see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 år siden
    Tiling the whole wall is the obvious choice but if that's not in your budget you can put an ironwork scroll. These aren't very nice but it's just to give you an idea. But you actually don't really need to put anything in that space.
  • Design Fanatic
    10 år siden
    Hi, this is my first idea submission - hope you find it inspiring :) well, here i have used a glass cutting board which cost me less than $15 - personally I love it as it not only protects the wall behind but also serves as a nice inexpensive backsplash! Furthermore, i find it easy to clean as you can either just wipe it off or wash with your dishes - Since it is more like an accent piece, i dont use it as a cutting board! The picture did not come through very clear but you get the idea ;)
  • Design Fanatic
    10 år siden
    Here's another idea - its a pre-cut sheet that I bought from Home Depot - you can buy more pieces to cover the entire wall or do something as i did - they carry it in different designs (tiles etc) - hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Ceratec Tiles & Stone
    10 år siden
    Why not try a tile backsplash, light grey subway tiles with a white glass insert, it would link your counter top to your kitchen cabinets. Also we recommend an époxy or urethane grout for easy clean up .
  • melyndaben
    10 år siden
    Try a customized mosaic tile back splash. I have lots on my Pinterest board, Andalucia by design. http://pinterest.com/pin/292100725802556668/
  • lighow
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I'm going to go with a stainless steel backsplash. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • PRO
    Unravel Design
    10 år siden
    Love the stainless steel back splash idea. It's reflective enough to mimic a mirror.

Kitchen renovation project in Palo Alto · Mere information
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 år siden
    Don't make it too shiny, not like a mirror, well, unless you're attractive and don't mind watching yourself do dishes.
    Will you post the after picture when you get around to it please?
  • edithsmom
    10 år siden
    Lighow, please post a photo when your backsplash is finished...I have the same situation and have been following all the suggestions and researching.
  • PRO
    Palermo Flooring, Inc.
    7 år siden

A nice floating glass shelf may work.

• abbyjean
    7 år siden

THREE year old thread...........

• PRO
    Palermo Flooring, Inc.
    7 år siden

Geez.. I had no idea, I just took this over. My apologies.

• abbyjean
    7 år siden

Sometimes the threads appear on the side and they are old ones. Just wanted you to know in case you do not get a comment or response about your suggestion. Guess I have started looking at dates when I see things in different places on here.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    7 år siden

Hi there abbyjean!

• abbyjean
    7 år siden

Waving a big hello to LB Interiors! Happy September! Where did summer go?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.