granahan

Material for outside deck

granahan
9 år siden
Is the man made synthetic material the best for an outside deck. I want something very low in maintenance. What are the pros and cons.

(12) kommentarer

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 år siden
    Composite decks are low maintenance and somewhat environmental friendly due to their longevity.
    granahan thanked Dytecture
  • granahan
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you!
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 år siden
    I agree with Dytecture above. Composite is the way to go. They are definitely more expensive, but in the long run the lack of maintenance and durability will prove well worth it.
    granahan thanked Chermac Builders Inc
  • lagwagonshow
    9 år siden
    We have some friends who put in a composite deck a few (3-4) years ago. I can't say I've witnessed less maintenance, nor does it seem more durable than wood. They power wash every year to keep it clean, for which they bought a piece of equipment - still looks a bit on the dingy side. UV beats the heck out of it, so the color is bleached out.

Plus side, no splinters 10-20 years down the road (if it lasts that long), and it is a way to recycle the plastic for another go-round before it finds its way to the sea.

It's a perfectly functional material, nothing wrong with it - but the claims of longevity and lack of maintenance are sales pitches.
    granahan thanked lagwagonshow
  • granahan
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    My deck is on the North side so doesn't get the sun penetration - have had lots of problems with carpenter ants and carpenter bees. Also rotting and splinters - but can't complain too much - it is 20 years old and is now rotting away. Thanks for your input.
  • abbyjean
    9 år siden
    WOW! Great info just shared! Makes me soooo happy to have the hardwoods!!!
    granahan thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 år siden
    Great information AdvantageLumber.com about hardwood. We are out in Las Vegas, and that is the first time I've ever heard the use of hardwood for decking!! Got to love this forum!
    granahan thanked Chermac Builders Inc
  • PRO
    Thomas Decks, LLC
    9 år siden
    Even though as deck builders we install composite for our customers, I personally will have nothing but a hardwood deck or porch.
    granahan thanked Thomas Decks, LLC
  • PRO
    Maison Moderne Home Staging
    9 år siden
    We built this deck out of Mangaris Diamond wood this summer. It looked beautiful, however it caused a lot of staining on the surrounding area when wet. We were not made aware of the problem with that particular type of wood when we bought it. I was told to water it daily in order to get the chemicals out and it seems that after a few months the water runs out the color of "light tea" and doesn't cause staining. The wood has lost some of its rich color and has water stains so could you advise on what would be the best type of sealant to treat this wood. Thank you
  • PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    9 år siden
    Hello isasharp,

I am terribly sorry to hear what happened to the Mangaris. The Mangaris is also another type of hardwood from the tropics of Malaysia and it's actually Red Balau (Mangaris is just the brand name, like kleenex). From what we understand Mangaris is naturally resistant to decay and termites which is a bit odd that they said you needed to wash it daily to get "chemicals" out.

We would suggest trying to use Ipe Oil or Messmer's UV Plus for Hardwoods. They are both mineral based oils that are made specifically to penetrate these dense hardwoods like Ipe, Cumaru, and Tigerwood but will work with any other hardwoods like Red Balau.

Having said this, I would suggest using some sort of brightener and cleaner to remove whatever previous oil or stain was applied and then getting a board and applying a small coat of the sample (follow the directions because the penetrating oils have to be wiped off, not just left to dry). If it works, and doesn't run off the Red Balau then it has been a success.

If you need a sample of Ipe Oil, we would be more than glad to supply it. Just send us a private message.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
  • PRO
    San Diego Cable Railings
    9 år siden
    Our experience with mangaris diamond decking and dimensional timbers is that even when prep sanded and sealed prior to installation bleeding can occur. We notice it most when moisture is present via morning dew or the first rain of the season. Bleeding looks like an over application of stain at times, and some people mistake it for stain because of the reddish color.

Bleeding actually comes from tannins inside of the wood and moves outward. Typically after the initial bleeding the mangaris does not continue to bleed, and the feedback from many long term mangaris deck owners is very positive.

We have heard from other pros that mangaris can be water soaked prior to prep sanding and staining in order to expedite the bleeding. After the initial bleed the planks can be sanded and sealed once the timbers are dry.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.