joe_nicklo

When is a bench appropriate for a dining room?

Joe Nicklo
9 år siden
We've always liked the look of a bench. When is it considered appropriate to use a bench instead of two chairs? Are there any "rules" on using a bench at the dining room table?

(42) kommentarer

• crowley48
    9 år siden
    I think you should do what you love. :).
    I've never followed "the rules" in decorating my home.
  • Joe Nicklo
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @hayleydaniels you make a very good point. I think this is a "form over function?" scenario. I love the look but like you said, it is probably uncomfortable.
  • Darzy
    9 år siden
    We only use a bench from the bedroom for extra seating at the table when we need to. And, as Hayley mentioned, my husband and I use the bench. Not our guests.
  • stryker
    9 år siden
    Consider ease of use, or lack thereof. You can't scoot it in and out, And look how much lower this particular bench is compared to the chairs. I agree with hayley: I wouldn't be happy either if I had to sit on a hard thing. Personally, I think it's impractical and not worth potential style points.
  • Cristina Lo
    9 år siden
    You can always put nice bench pads to make it comfortable. I think benches are space savers, say one side of your dining table is a high traffic area, a bench can help give the illusion of a bigger and cleaner space
  • PRO
    User
    9 år siden
    The bench doesn't need to be hard. There are beautiful upholstered benches that offer both comfort and style. There is no right or wrong on when to use a bench. And you'll be on the edge as benches are definitely growing in popularity. Enjoy!
  • groveraxle
    9 år siden
    A bench is appropriate for squirmy kids in the breakfast nook.
  • 747.2fra
    9 år siden
    I like the back rest of a chair. This provides comfort to leave back and enjoy conversation. Benches are for kids and those you don't want to linger.
  • User
    9 år siden
    Since you like the *look* of a bench, use it. No rules against looking;))
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    I don't even like the look of this photo, (no offence) it is way too out of balance for me. Besides all the bad aspects of a bench in a dinning room as mentioned above, when one of your guests, or whoever is sitting on the bench needs to get up, the the other person/people would have to get up. also. I do know that when a lady gets up from the table the men used to at least get up also until she left,....
    As others have said though, you need to do what appeals to you ;0).
  • Joe Nicklo
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @tw123456 No offense taken. It's not my dining room. I definitely see the reasoning behind not doing the bench. I've decided against it. Never really took into account most of what's been said here.
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    Good morning Joe ;0), I am glad you have decided not to go the bench way. Houzz is a great site to make friends, and get good advice from pros, amateurs, and some who think they are pros (snickering).
  • Joe Nicklo
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I still don't know what dining room set we're gonna go with though.
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    what styles do you gravitate towards, do you entertain a lot, are you more formal than casual, or somewhere in between? You must be thinking, what's with all the questions ;0(? LOL.
  • cabingirl13
    9 år siden
    outside on a farm is what comes to mind....but you do whatever you want.
  • lisask12
    9 år siden
    I like the look of the photo - very pretty, but have been seated on the bench ar various times. I agree that it is not very practical, but if you are not using the bench often, it might be fine. My other concern is with the height of the bench, which must be high enough for guests yo reach the table comfortably.
  • karen3000
    9 år siden
    I agree that a bench would be uncomfortable for dining. Your guests will want to lean back after the meal while enjoying conversation and a glass of wine.
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    I guess if someone has to have a bench, maybe the bench should be placed against a wall, so the guests can lean back and not fall off. LOL
  • carebear_zb
    9 år siden
    I agree about the wall. My grandmother had a bench, but it was against the wall and was a great way to get 6-7 kids all on one side of the table. Or just push the table to the wall to get more room. But otherwise I wouldn't offer one to my guests at an indoor table.
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    I was joking about the wall, but come to think of it guests might appreciate it, lol.
  • Joe Nicklo
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    @tw123456 I really hope this makes sense...my wife and I are pretty much simpletons when it comes to interior design. If I weren't a Graphic Designer by trade I'd probably have zero clue what I want. Anyway, the style we gravitate towards is best described as "simple and clean but not modern". We like darker wood. Love black. I like a lot of stuff on West Elm – in particular this table...

http://www.westelm.com/products/emmerson-dining-table-g504/?pkey=cdining-tables&cm_src=dining-tables%7C%7CNoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-&group=1&sku=6499610

Only thing is, we want that in black and as you can see, they don't offer it in black.

Also, this is our first house and with our first baby on the way, we intend on taking over hosting some of the family holidays. We want to have family & friends over often so I guess you could say, yes – we want to entertain.

When it's just my wife and I, we eat at our little table in the kitchen so I see our dining room table getting used 1-2 times a week.
  • Cristina Lo
    9 år siden
    Hi Joe, there's a table at Urban Barn that is pretty dark too, don't know if you like that or prefer the total black ones
    http://www.urbanbarn.com/product/ironside+extension+counter+table.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=
    Joe Nicklo thanked Cristina Lo
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    9 år siden
    A bench in a dining room can often be used if you would like a more casual, homely look. Another reason to use a bench is when you have spatial constraints. I just did a layout and used a bench up against the wall to make the dining area roomier and more functional. Comfort is the number 1 design element I would consider in a bench.
  • PRO
    Carey Reid Kirk inc.
    9 år siden
    Good morning Joe, Have you considered using an upholstered bench with a back, somewhat like a banquette? This would provide fanny and back comfort/support as well as good design.
  • sarainitaly
    9 år siden
    I am doing a bench, but i have 5 nieces and nephews. I also have 8 other chairs (that will be coordinated) at other tables that I can pull in and swap for the bench, as needed per dinner party. I love the look, and also love the fact that chair backs won't block the front view of my table. The two styles will be similar to these:
    Joe Nicklo thanked sarainitaly
  • Joe Nicklo
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @Cristina Lo That is a really nice table. Thanks for the link.
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    Joe, I don't know how large your dining room is, but I thought since you will be entertaining your family a lot, the size of this table might be good. Would you please post some pics of your space, and what you have in there. What is your budget for the dining room, I will be looking for some more sets. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Warehouse-of-Tiffany-9-piece-Brown-Juno-Table-Dining-Set/9040008/product.html?refccid=HJVYN7QTKUEZYYKAY4VPGA7LIQ&searchidx=6
  • Joe Nicklo thanked tw123456
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    Table just above is sold separately.
    Joe Nicklo thanked tw123456
  • rouxb
    9 år siden
    Not a fan of dining benches for adults. You have no control over your own comfort in terms of distance from the table and access can be problematic.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 år siden
    I love the bench and two chairs look! It's perfect for a space with modern asian flair :)
  • glschisler
    9 år siden
    I grew up in a family of 8 kids & a small dining room. Mom had a very nice long deacon's bench on one side for 4 of us & a slab bench my dad made that was on the wall side of the room. The table was pulled out from the wall at dinner time. The deacon bench was swung around to to living room when guests visited. Benches are quite functional.
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    http://www.worldmarket.com/category/furniture/dining-room.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&pp=191 This black table seems like a handy table, with extension hidden within the table itself. I am trying to post this pic, but having trouble, will try again.
  • Joe Nicklo
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I'll post some pics. We just moved into the house from our apartment so we have very little furniture. Clean slate.
  • tw123456
    9 år siden
    Joe, one thing you and your wife might consider is, if you are going to buy a coffee table, try to remember that the baby is going to be trying to, and later will stand near and at the table, so what I mean is, you might consider some kind of soft upholstered ottoman/bench, maybe even leather or faux leather which will hold up well. This type is used for seating, eating on, and many other ways. If you do buy a table, you will need to buy bumper pads for the edges of the table, (sold at baby stores) so baby doesn't get hurt on the edges of the table.
    Joe Nicklo thanked tw123456
  • cyprinella
    9 år siden
    I have a table with regular chairs and a bench. The bench is great for my kids and even better when we have parties. Lots of kids can fit as opposed to two chairs. When having adult company, my husband and I gladly take the bench if the kids are not eating with us. So, for the right family, a bench can be very practical.
    Joe Nicklo thanked cyprinella
  • Joe Nicklo
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @tw123456 Here is the photo of the space. My wife pointed out that she wants a dining room table with a stone top. I had showed here the tables you linked to me and while I love them – she's leaning towards something a little different.
  • PRO
    Old English Fireplace Benches
    9 år siden
    On benches and dining rooms, consider a club fender. The fireplace is probably rarely lit and therefore ceremonial. The fender bench will add design interest and relevancy. Before or after formal dining, it'll provide casual seating. It's a great place to set down a tray when the table is otherwise set for meals.
  • PRO
    B. Thrower, Interior Redesign and Home Staging
    9 år siden
    Padded and tufted....clearly a personal preference. I have two each side of my dining room table.
  • annacabana2000
    9 år siden
    my dining space s against a wall- so I will have quite a deep bench outfitted with sheep skins and cushions for a cozy feel whre dining guests can lean back and get comfy during a long meal...on the other side of the table I will have two chairs. Some people may not enly a dinner where they cannot get comfy and lean back into a chair /against a wall...just a thought :)
  • gianna0322
    6 år siden
    what about in a small breakfast nook with
    a small table?
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.