roz411

Kitchen remodel

Rob Rosner
9 år siden
So here is a kitchen design question. When a client is working with a designer how many designs can be expected until the client is happy with the entire design? I seem to be having issues with my designer and am not sure if it is me or my designer. I feel that if we are paying a high price to get our kitchen remodeled then we shouldn't have to rush into contracts, especially with no timeline, until we have on paper exactly what we want? We started looking in May and picked a designer in June who doesn't really like to email me back and I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with her sometimes. Is it me? I could really use some feedback.

(6) kommentarer

• Rachel H
    9 år siden
    Do you have any contract with this designer? You shouldn't expect a designer to work out every detail for free until you're 100% satisfied with the design. They are putting in a lot of time in with no guarantee that you'll even use their design in the end. If they come with great recommendations/referrals and you trust they can deliver on a final product, let them be assured that they can expect you'll deliver in the end as well by committing to a contract. Otherwise they might think you're just wasting their time which might explain her lack of response and attitude. Have you checked her references?
  • PRO
    Kustom Home Design
    9 år siden
    You should expect to sign a design services agreement or contract with your designer before you ever see a design. Some designers request a retainer (I don't, but some do). You should then expect to pay your designer for all services performed. You will have to trust that they will create a design you love. Most of the time I am able to develop a design that my client loves within one two meetings, but design is a process that requires communication and development. If you are having trouble effectively communicating with your designer, you may want to interview some other professionals to find the right fit. In the end you will have be honest and open with your feedback because even the best designer cannot read your mind. Pay your bills in a timely manner to show you value your designer's work.
  • Rob Rosner
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Well this is kinda of funny because she has been paid $2,500 by me already so it's not like she is working for free. One of the reasons we did go with her was the fact that she first came to the house and then did a free proposal which we liked so we gave her money towards it thinking everything would fall into place after that but that is not what seems to be happening here. I've had to come back to her office three or more times just to get my ideas worked on and although we actually have one side of the kitchen that I love it is the other sides that need work. I'm just wondering if that is normal? There was a company not a client that did refer them so I didn't go into it blind. I just feel there is a lack of response on her end and the money is not a drop in the bucket for me so I like it when someone works with me and not against me.
  • Rob Rosner
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Yeah i totally agree. I am frustrated with her and her lack of response. I know there is an end here and hopefully an agreement so this kitchen can finally take on new life. Thank you for responding to this dilema.
  • PRO
    CQC Home
    9 år siden
    This is all relative for what part of the country you live in. All designers charge different rates in different parts of the country. California and New York being at the top of the list. We are located in N.C, so this will apply for areas close to that region.

Our design agreement is completely separate from the build agreement, I believe that hers is as well. We do two house visits and that usually is good for "most" kitchens... For pricing - we recommend discussing how much your current designer thinks your kitchen will cost to actually complete the build phase. Your design agreement should be close to 10% of that, based on the above information...

I'd guess your kitchen remodel is close to $25,000. If you are thinking "Oh, no! It's way more..." than you have a steal of deal for your designer. But alas if your thinking "What? No way I'm only changing out the cabinets and counter tops and they are all going back in the exact same spot!" Then yes perhaps you will need to discuss your expectations with her before going any further.

Hope this was helpful & can't wait to see your before and after pics when it's all done!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.