sungshinhong

Need Fire Place ideas!

sungshinhong
9 år siden
We just bought a house that we are going to update and I need some ideas for this fire place(need budget friendly ideas). My husband definitely wants to put TV above the fireplace. The floors will be changed out to dark hardwood floors and all the trims will be changed out to white. What do you think? the easiest would be to drywall the top but I feel like it takes away from cathedral ceiling fire place.

(26) kommentarer

• Rina
    9 år siden
    I'm finding that with a lot of fireplaces the main problem is the mantle not being big enough. I think you need a good solid one here. I don't know how big your TV screen is but I've been ambitious about that, though a smaller one would work fine too. One must give the man what the man wants and let him know he owes you. I don't know what that silly black bit on the edge of the hearth is, but I'd say get rid of it when you put in your new flooring. So glad you're putting in new flooring -- it will transform the space.
  • amyjeanette
    9 år siden
    Definitely a larger mantle piece. I would also just clad the brick to the ceiling with some kind of natural stone.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 år siden
    Fireplace heat is very damaging to TV's, but they don't tell you that at the store because the sooner it goes the sooner you'll be back to buy another one.
  • PRO
    Rachel @ Ethan Allen
    9 år siden
    I think the TV would be too high for the sofa being so close. There is a correct range for viewing so not to strain your neck. (You can goggle it). Can you show the rest of the room from different angels? I would recommend covering the brick with a stone veneer product or with wood that could be painted and moulded out with decorative molding.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 år siden
    I agree, a large mantle would look a lot better. Consider removing the brass covers and replacing them with a darker finish.
  • sungshinhong
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you everyone! Rachel, we plan to move the mantle down for sure. I have attached little wider view. it's relatively a long room. we are taking the wall down that's left of the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Cheryl Khan
    9 år siden
    One word of caution, putting a TV above a fireplace looks "modern" and attractive but it create a cleaning conundrum if you have a traditional wood burning fireplace. The heat can also lead to faster wear times on the TV. Here, you can read this article about it:

http://www.portablefireplace.com/blog/tv-above-fireplace/

You CAN do this, but I'd strongly recommend adding a mantel shelf to direct the heat away from the wall and the TV. Also, make sure you angle the TV for best viewing angle i.e. contrast, etc.
  • PRO
    Rachel @ Ethan Allen
    9 år siden
    Can the sofa be pulled back further from the fireplace? I looks like you have a ton of space directly behind it. Adding a sofa table behind the sofa would be a nice dividing element for the spaces.
  • PRO
    Universal Hardwood Flooring & Moulding, Inc.
    9 år siden
    Great link Cheryl Khan
  • sungshinhong
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you Rachel! yes that's a good idea. the furniture and it's setup isn't ours. we closed yesterday so I am just using seller's listing picture to get an idea. This is what's on the opposite side of that fire place with lots of space in between!
  • sungshinhong
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    sorry here is the pic!
  • sungshinhong
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you Margo, that does look nice!
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    9 år siden
    Is there another wall for the tv to go on? To me, a tv above a fireplace just doesn't look balanced.
  • sungshinhong
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    That's a good question Rachelle. I was trying to think of another way but only wall left would be right side of the fireplace but the furniture placement would be odd to accomodate the TV there. I guess I can put it in the corner on a corner entertainment center...
  • sluggodog
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    Oh boy.. I'm going to say put the tv over the mantle.. will look funny in the corner with the layout and windows. If you can't do a new fireplace insert, for sure spray paint the brass out and for an inexpensive transition you can add a fireplace screen in front of it. Agree with a more substantial mantle.
  • Debra George
    9 år siden
    Hanging the tv on the brick fireplace doesn't address the electrical and cabling needs. Where were you planning on putting the cable box and plugging the tv in? Much simpler to set up the tv on a media stand. Allows you to have a bigger tv and watch more comfortably.
  • sungshinhong
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Debra, that's a very good question about the cable box and TV wires. I was hoping our contractor has some trick up his sleeves but definitely something for us to think about. Sluggodog, thank you for the screen ideas. They are very beautiful!
  • graceous
    9 år siden
    what about taking down the double doors to the left of the fireplace and Have just an opening there and maybe make it a little wider and put tv on that wall under the stairs?
  • graceous
    9 år siden
    I would also suggest moving furniture back some from fireplace and add a much larger mantel and paint the fireplace trim a dark color with mantel matching wood floor as close as you can. With the tall ceilings, dress mantel with larger items. Hope some of these suggestions will help.
  • PRO
    Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
    9 år siden
    Need a floor plan to really work it out. Should show the walls that would be removed and window locations. If room is long and narrow it may make some sense to break it up with a seating area with a couple of chairs by the fireplace and a second sitting area for the TV.
  • PRO
    NEVERENDING ROOM
    9 år siden
    With a small budget, I would paint the black bricks using and whitish cream color to age it properly. The black stones are era aged, if that makes sense. I would get a larger mantle, maybe some reclaimed wood. Take off the brass fire place cover and either spray paint it black or buy a flat fireplace screen like the ones shown above. I don't think I would put the TV up there for the same reason as stated here in this thread. I would call a local chimney repair man and see what they think. I've attached two photos to show the brick change. The image with the black brick and bookcase is the before and then I added the creams. Its just softer and much less expensive then rip out. ( If you attempt it, add water to some of the paint and thin it to a wash consistency and keep some some straight paint to darken areas. As you move along you'll gather a rhythm and it starts to work. Don't get nervous when you start, it never looks right for the first few bricks. )
  • Bridget Synk
    9 år siden
    I would paint the brick a white or light gray, spray paint the brass with spray paint that can withstand high heat (matte black or a metal color to tie into rest of house), and install a chunky mantel.
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    9 år siden
    sungshinhong, build a new half wall against the stairs for the TV? A new plasterboard wall up to the level of the railing (like a half wall which goes up with the stairs). You could build in all the electrical work and have cavities for the tv & cabinet etc. You would have to play around with the electrical & cabinets etc if you were to place the tv above the fireplace so the cost of building a new custom designed wall to your exact specs might end up costing the same.
  • PRO
    Henry Kate Design Co.
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    The contractor should be able to chisel some of the brick or masonry cement out from between the bricks to run cables for the tv and receiver. No problem!! Then, they can either float the entire thing with masonry cement to prep for split face stone (my suggestion) or fur it out and do some really nice raised paneling. As long as you accommodate and plan with the right number/kind/length of cables, you'll be golden!! I've attached a picture of a remodel we just finished where we did the same thing. The components are actually in the furniture to the right of the fireplace, neatly tucked away! You have a GREAT space to work with! Take your time making your decisions and research all of your options and you'll be thrilled with the outcome. You're already trolling the best site for inspiration! Feel free to email us if you want to have a more in-depth discussion. Good luck!!!
  • PRO
    Custom Stoneworks Inc.
    9 år siden
    Just a few I've built. Hope this helps
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.