tfaelnar

Ugliest fireplace on the block. Help!

Tanya
9 år siden
Need design help with my tall walk around fireplace. I am ready to tackle this monster but am so scared to make a decision as it is such a huge focal point in our small 1 story ranch. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

(15) kommentarer

• MarleneM
    9 år siden
    Your FP looks very top heavy, and the darker tone on top just exaggerates that. I would rip out the mantle that juts out, and then cover the whole thing in new cement board, including niches, so it's a nice clean look. Add one niche for TV as in attached photo, and then tile all one colour with very large tiles.
    Beaugureau Studios · Mere information
    Tanya thanked MarleneM
  • hayleydaniels
    9 år siden
    Get rid of the ledge or shelf as it makes it look deformed. Raise the fireplace up a foot or so like in the picture posted above by MarleneM.
    Tanya thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    Eat Live Sleep
    9 år siden
    If you wanted to make it look less 'heavy' you could get a glass merchant to cut a mirror to size and fit on the width and glued seamless into place?
    Tanya thanked Eat Live Sleep
  • Tanya
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you everyone for your input! Hayleydaniels and MarleneM, I was thinking of doing just that, demolishing mantle for a sleeker look. I was thinking of thinning out the base so that it just juts out maybe 4 ins. I gain walking space that way too especially since the area around the other side if it is so narrow. I was going to have a cabinet installed in that niche to house equipment. Any thoughts? Liking the idea of a shallow tv niche too. Charrette design, you nailed my taste in materials and color choices! Love your ideas!
  • apple_pie_order
    9 år siden
    What is the chunky white mantle made from?
  • Linus Reimann-Kaißer
    9 år siden
    I like it.
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    Hi, tfaelnar! Like you said in your original post, "it is such a huge focal point" in your home. So perhaps you can use it to display art you enjoy. There is enough room for a mini art gallery there. It is just an idea, of course, and I am partial to art too :) but I also think it is always better (and easier) to take advantage of the existing space and improve it instead of all out remodeling if you can help it... Raisa
    Tanya thanked It's a Beautiful World!
  • PRO
    Custom Stoneworks Inc.
    9 år siden
    Stackstone is a great choice in my opinion. These are a few projects I've done using Norstone brand panels. Hope this helps. Good luck
    Tanya thanked Custom Stoneworks Inc.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 år siden
    Duplicate post.
  • Tanya
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Apple_pie_order, I think chunky white mantle is made of cement and plaster. Hopefully, it's an easy takedown.
  • Tanya
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Dytecture, yes it's a duplicate post but don't know how to remove other post. I got a message that first post didn't go through that's why I reposted it.
  • User
    9 år siden
    You have a somewhat contemporary look to your fireplace. I had the same dilemma while renovating my whole basement myself. I used stack stone till the ceiling. Go with earth tones so as not to make that "monster" too dominant and heavy.
    Tanya thanked User
  • groveraxle
    9 år siden
    Sorry, in the ugly fireplace sweepstakes, you don't even come close. A bit of simplification is all this needs. Get an RF system and put your TV components somewhere else. Remove all furniture from the back side of the fireplace. That side is useless except for maybe a plant or two. Get rid of the radius bullnose tile on the hearth. Paint. I can't believe I'm saying this, but...no art.
    Tanya thanked groveraxle
  • Natalie
    9 år siden
    Hi---such potential. How about a mix of stacked stone and steel---Love this one. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    A House With Zip! · Mere information
    ][houzz=
    A House With Zip! · Mere information
    ]
    Tanya thanked Natalie
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.