edubya

POLL: Black Interior Doors - Yes or No?

Emily H
9 år siden
This seems to be a hot button issue for more than a few Houzzers. How do you feel about black interior doors? Do you give them a big yes or a no?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

(249) kommentarer

• PRO
  • Cheryl Bravyak
    9 år siden
    Love how the black door ( Iron Ore- Sherwin Williams) added more depth to my foyer! My big dilemma was how much else to paint so maybe the pic will helps others also trying to decide as well.
  • Julie Hunt
    9 år siden
    We recently painted our black doors with Benjamin Moore is Dragon's breath, which is somewhere between dark gray and black. I love it for many reasons. I'm no longer constantly worrying about cleaning off my kids dirty fingerprints. (I still however make sure to wash them down monthly.) but it looks great against our maple trim. I also love this look with white trim. I think the black door trend is a very inexpensive And quick update to any house.
  • PRO
    US Door & More Inc
    9 år siden
    Black finish is always a good idea, but it is really important that how you would decorate the interior, if there are other black accetns then the Black Door would complete it, On the other hand contrast is a good way to change your mood, so Interior doors painted black with white trim and light walls would make the change !!

Learn more from the following link;
    http://www.doornmore.com/news/black_doors/
  • greenyogini
    9 år siden
    Depends on the space. Love the look of black doors (and love all white, too), but it wouldn't work in my own space.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    I posted earlier on in this forum that I haven't seen any sign here in Australia, of a shifting trend to use black and that I would personally feel I would try, say chocolate, for example and just recently, I had to travel some 100kms away and stayed in a motel.
    I dedided to have a meal in the restaurant and what did I see, black, chocolate and dark gray everywhere.
    The room had a magnificent large 10' fireplace with a very dark coloured stained timber surround.
    Very dark, chocolate/gray wall paper accented with very large bright silver almost mirrored potsplants, which stood about 4' tall and the plants, although fake, were large bird of paradise plants.
    Chocolate/gray patterned carpet, where the main colour was dark gray with large 2' chocolate/gray circles.
    The curtains on very large windows were again a chocolate chiffon fabric, very pretty.
    The whole effect was magnificent, even though, for me, if this colour scheme was in a lounge room for example, it would have been too dark but non the less, the scheme was perfect for where it was.
    I just hadn't noticed the trend because quite truthfully, I obviously don't go out much ha-ha.....but seriously, whatever you think you might like, give it a go, as it's been stated in this and other Houzz forums when talking about black mainly, that it's only paint and easily changed in time.
    Emily H thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • lzalvin
    9 år siden
    Love them - but i would paint all doors on the same level black so it coordinated.
  • lindler
    9 år siden
    I am planning to paint the interior of our front door black and will tie it together with our painted stairway bannister.
  • gracey999
    9 år siden
    baretta11...Not for nothing, but here's food for thought...A very very very long time ago, women's and men's style changed. A certain piece of clothing came out. I'd say around the 40's or 50's, and to this day they are still the most popular clothing item in the whole world. I'm sure you know I'm talking about blue jeans aka Denim. My point is that some "fads" stay around much longer than you think. So if black doors continue to stay as stunning as they do, it's likely that so too, will the "fad". Besides as so many people have said, it's just paint! I am in process of painting doors a shad of black ... will post....they look gorgeous already :) NOW SMILE AND GO PAINT A DOOR~! JK
  • gracey999
    9 år siden
    p.s. I do know that blue jeans came out long before they became popular in regular society so don't bother to "correct" me. Let's stick to the black door topic :)
  • gracey999
    9 år siden
    J Thomas Design - Seriously? Isn't white just as "trendy" I mean it wasn't so long ago that solid wood doors was the only way to go...and many think it still is...But then white came along and now so many people have white everything...I'm happy for the trend change. If it goes out of style, I can always buy one door a year...lol and bring it back to wood doors...
  • Renee Horn
    9 år siden
    I did a black chalkboard door from my kitchen to my garage. I haven't chalked on it yet, but it looks really good.
  • PRO
    Maria Pifke for Ethan Allen Inc. Schaumburg
    9 år siden
    Since last year more and more great photos of black doors, molding, windows, railings and stairways.. love it
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 år siden
    @gracey999, yes I remember wearing my AMCO hipsters with the flared leg and a beautiful print down the side as well, so I'm with you on the "forever popular" and not really "fad" of denim jeans and obviously black too ha-ha
    But seriously, I really don't get out much as I'm a country girl living on a farm with all the trimmings like cattle, sheep and even a house cow for milk!!!.....that said, I also don't wear the traditional boots and western hat, anyway, I'm in the process of building my first ever purpose designed home at 56 years of age and because I've lived in the country and as stated earlier, I don't go out much, I have been "robbed" so to speak of the knowledge of just what's possible out there in regards to the colours, like black, that can make anyones home beautiful.
    I've been so used to seeing homes in the country, that the owners don't think of as anything more than a roof over their heads and they have no desire or pride to make more of the home which I think is sad!!!!!
    I on the other hand want my home to be beautiful both inside and out and I have posted earlier, that I have decided to paint the frame around a very large "viewing window" for want of a better term, "chocolate" for now and that's been decided purely on the fantastic pictures that I've been looking at and the possitive posts by others who have taken the plunge, so to speak with dark colours but specifically black.
    Prior to reading these posts, I would have never thought of ever using such a dark colour as chocolate, I would have stuck to tradition and been a beige follower, so I am slowly converting to new and amazing possibilities!!!
    Little steps first and then who knows!!!
  • PRO
    Perfect Piece Interiors
    9 år siden
    Absolutely!!! Go for it!!
  • Andrea Szabo
    9 år siden
    It depends on the decor. If it calls for black doors, go for it.
  • houzzzer
    9 år siden
    This isn’t black, but a dark brown. It was a compromise between myself and the wife. She wanted all white, I wanted all dark.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 år siden
    Other ... only in the right situation and design style
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 år siden
    I would use black to create the bold accent and to make a statement. I would not use black on most doors. I would like it for an entry though. I do not believe they are the focal point of any wall. Usually doors are not the focal points of a wall. Black is so dramatic it would always be a focal point.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 år siden
    @houzzer, looks lovely, can't tell wether it's black or chocolate in the photo but saying that the end result would be the same, nice comprimise.
    Question: Are you happy with the white bits and is your wife happy with the dark bits??
  • PRO
    Seekers Bazaar
    9 år siden
    Love mine!
  • runswithpoodles
    9 år siden
    @paige ward: Gosh! I love yours, too!
  • PRO
    LineBox Studio
    9 år siden
    Black is fun
  • Tammy Gibson
    9 år siden
    What is the best color hinges and knobs to use on your black doors?
  • dsdo1014
    9 år siden
    It totally depends on the space but it's a definite yes if your space allows.
  • ilhamullah yusuf
    9 år siden
    when the room is feel like clean and comfort, black door will make it more homey
  • PRO
    Independent
    9 år siden
    Tammy, I think it really depends on the other metals that are in your room, if any. Polished nickel would look beautiful or even a brushed nickel or chrome. Polished Brass is always beautiful on a black door but right now it's just not as popular. It's still the most traditional metal though.
  • Stanley Hoffman
    9 år siden
    Sherman Williams had a color palate of 13 blacks in about 2000. They will still have the ability to make all these black casts or shades. I think harmonizing your black to the other colors in the scheme is really a nice visual touch.
  • Anna DiBalsamo
    9 år siden
    A wonderful trend
  • PRO
    FurreverYours
    9 år siden
    It definitely depends on the space and overall decor. Instead of black, I may opt for a very dark gray. #BeSeenBeSafe
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 år siden
    Why not? Express yourself! What's most important is to make sure everything flows in the home. If black will not work, don't force it! - Janis, GKB
  • bono53565
    9 år siden
    Very effective in the right room. I believe every room needs some black!
  • L P. D.
    9 år siden
    I did it and love it! Brings out more cottage sophistication in my 72 yr old home. Also makes the original brass hardware sing
  • Steff Whitney
    9 år siden
    I just painted my doors SW black fox and left the trim creamy. I love the look. The funny thing is that when you get down to a LVR of 6 even just on the doors, it REALLY changes how LITTLE light reflects and we have bumped into doors in a home I've lived in for 11 years just because in low light the doors disappear! Love the look though!
  • magada
    9 år siden
    I painted my bathroom door a matt black to cover some miseries once then got carried away and decided to paint the whole room, ceiling and all as it was a very blah beige that i hated. BF was horrified at first but with new lighting and a colorful mosaic band that i made myself it turned out great and i got loads of compliments.
  • User
    9 år siden
    We just built our home and we did charcoal interior doors with white door trim all crown moulding and base board is white as well. They really pop. My problem is I "ASSUMED " they would come that color but they came white then they sprayed them the charcoal ( poorly) I can see the white in places and yes they show EVERY SMUDGE and I don't think they will last very long.
  • Coleen Supancic
    9 år siden
    like the drama of the contrast between door & trim
  • Karen
    9 år siden
    I did black doors & trim 10 years ago & still love it
  • kgut40
    9 år siden
    I did all my interior doors black and I love them! I used SW-tricorn black. Took 3-4 coats on each door but it looks amazing. I have 10 ft ceilings in my main living space so it needed something different to shrink the space down some.
  • PRO
    Provanti Designs, Inc
    9 år siden

When black interior doors are too much, I often specify a rich dark brown color that coordinates well with all the other paint colors in the home. Currently designing a remodel of a high-rise condo in Seattle; we choose Sherwin-Williams 7505 "Manor House" for those doors and it is stunningly chic!

• meddr101
    9 år siden

What are your opinions on a high gloss black front door? I really love the idea, but does anyone have any experience with this. For my interior doors, I think I am leaning toward BM Onyx - Egg shell. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Seekers Bazaar
    9 år siden

I had black exterior in a former home. Loved them. On a personal note if it is gloss I would have the painter spray & not brush on as gloss shows brush strokes & I find the strokes very distracting.... just saying...... my personal opinion....

• fixe
    9 år siden

Agree 100% for spraying a gloss finish. My experience with a black matt finish door, beautiful to look at but difficult to keep clean.

• Marie Harrington
    8 år siden

Black high gloss doors are great for doors coming from garage entrance to your interior space, or for any exterior door. Interior doors use sparingly as much depends on your overall design.

• kim8640
    8 år siden

Sister painted 2 doors black in her hallway - white trim, pale grey walls.. It looks fantastic !

• PRO
    ARCHICGI
    8 år siden

Seems unusual for me I'd rather prefer white

• User
    8 år siden

It depends on the home and the style of furnishings and lighting. It also depends on the paint quality used to finish the doors. They have to be sprayed to look good. Semi or high-gloss paint would look great. I wouldn't care for matte, chalkboard, or flat paint.

I have seen killer doors in black and others where you go, "What were you drinking when you picked that???"

• Bev
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I recently painted the interior of my front door a glossy black along with the closet door in the entryway. The black doors look great with the family portraits framed in black along with Classic Silver walls and glossy white trim!

• Jane Collis-Geers
    3 år siden

Black doors look much better with black trim around! I've looked at a lot of variations and this always looked best.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 år siden

Really depends on what the rest of the house looks like. Not sure I would want black doors in an all white room.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.