amt47

Add a sound proof door for a home business

Amanda T
9 år siden
I would so appreciate suggestions on the best door set up for this opening to soundproof as much as possible. I am trying to close this living room off completely so I can do home business here with clients. (It needs to be a door that is accessed easily. Solid double doors? Solid wood? Solid MDF? What exactly am I looking for? Can I do a prehung doorway from a big box store or do I definitely have to go more custom. Cost is an issue. The doorway is 48 inches wide exactly. I've ready about various materials and paints but starting with the door, what should I do? Many thanks!

(11) kommentarer

• PRO
    PPF.
    9 år siden
    Talk to a local door company. 36" is a common size, so you will need some carpentry to fill in and install.
    Amanda T thanked PPF.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 år siden
    A soundproof door equals a door that is also a very poor conductor of heat. These well insulated doors require no storm door when used as a front door, but they cost a lot
    Amanda T thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 år siden
    Mass is your friend, but the door isn't the only sound transmitter. Do you have duct work connected to that area? There probably isn't any soundproofing in the walls either.
  • User
    9 år siden
    Use an external door, otherwise I agree with River, you have to deal with the walls too.
  • PRO
    The R Streets
    9 år siden
    I agree with everything said. I will add: make sure there is a good seal around the door too.
  • Amanda T
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you everyone for your help! I am not as concerned with the sound proofing in walls: there is only one interior walls and half of it is connected to a bathroom that would only be used by clients, and the rest has a large built-in bookshelf on the other side, which I am *assuming* will offer at least some level of soundproofing. All other walls are exterior walls.

But is there anything I can do about duct work? I didn't think about that.

When you say "use an external door" do you mean a solid wood door?
  • bubbasgma
    9 år siden
    Is this a matter of privacy for your clients?

Or blocking out noises coming from other areas of the home while clients are there?
  • User
    9 år siden
    External doors are usually solid, internal doors are usually hollow.
  • Amanda T
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Trying to block out noises both ways (privacy for both my clients and my family- the front entry can be completely blocked off from the rest of the house, so sight privacy is there, but sound is my issue still and I think adding a door in this entry way is the best solution). So I guess actually I would have to be concerned about the wall area above the new door, maybe I could add insulation in there when installing the door?...
  • PRO
    Trademark Soundproofing
    8 år siden

You can buy a door panel that goes over your door or you can SP the door yourself a solid core door hung on an exterior jamb is a good start. You can read more here about Soundproofing a Door

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.