valecrest

Bathroom Design Help!!! Open -or-Closed Shower?

Valecrest
9 år siden
We are in the design phase of the remodel of the master bathroom in our new house...

This is a preliminary concept and I am looking for people's thoughts and advice.

Does anyone have any experience with a doorless shower? Seems like a cool idea but not sure how it would be to live with on a daily basis...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts / ideas.

(15) kommentarer

• lefty47
    9 år siden
    HI -- That little wall may bug you after a while and kind of confines the room. Perhaps moving the toilet beside the vanity and then having the shower across that end of the room might make the bathroom more open . This will also make the shower deeper and place the shower head further away from the opening . Then you might be able to not have a shower door but one can be added later if you don't like it all open . Some people love just walking into the shower and not having to pay the price of the glass door. Not sure if this will work for this bathroom . Walk in showers are usually in bigger bathrooms.
  • PRO
    Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
    9 år siden
    It may be passe to think about this, and you don't have to like it but I am envisioning a swanky glass wall as the angled one for the walk in, that way you will still have privacy coming in the door if in the shower and someone can still use the facilities if they wish while the shower is being used.
  • PRO
    Home Design Consulting
    9 år siden
    I like the privacy that you have for the shower with the walls arrangement. A door-less shower is possible as long as the shower head is the right size and positioned correctly.

You could also have a glass shower walls and door without that wall partition the space will feel much more open.

It is all dependent on how you want the space to function.

Good luck!!

Home Design Consulting
  • PRO
    Design Set Match
    9 år siden
    Personally I'd prefer to have an enclosed shower, Having the steam encircle you keeps you warmer. Professionally, I don't like the space that is being wasted by having that entrance. Wouldn't it be nicer to have a shower that was a little bigger and maybe even have a bench to sit at on days when you're simply not feeling good? Using a frameless glass door will maintain the open feeling of the room, but I recommend practical function over fun ideas when they don't mesh well.
    Computer Renderings · Mere information

Computer Renderings · Mere information
  • Holly Handford
    9 år siden
    I like the idea of moving the toilet beside the vanity and the stretching out the shower to the full width of the room. The window will have to move up the wall above the toilet or line up with the end of the shower, again moved up the wall (clerestory window). Also the short wall by the door should be removed.
  • Holly Handford
    9 år siden
    Enclosed shower is better, warmer!
  • makaloco
    9 år siden
    My open corner shower is similar to your design but with the opening on the diagonal (i.e., the two partitions perpendicular to the bathroom walls are closed, with the opening between them). No door, no sill, and I love it because there's nothing extra to clean! The shower head is adjustable and can also be hand-held. A little water tends to splash out during a shower, but the bath rug catches it.

A frameless glass enclosure looks great in photos, but with our hard water it would be a mess of mineral deposits in no time. And I would absolutely hate having to squeegee after every shower.
  • Valecrest
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Brent: The space measures approximately 8 X 13

Lefty47: thanks for your ideas, I will try them out on paper to see how they look!

MHHBC: The idea of incorporating some glass or possibly even glass block is appealing to help keep the space feeling more bright and open... (Maybe even in that short wall next to the door.)

HDC: I like the privacy of the shower as well. I'm struggling with how the entire space will function in general :)

DSM: the idea of a bench has grabbed my attention! I'm concerned however with the maintenance day to day of keeping an open glass shower clean...

Holly: I like your idea as well however the hit to the budget for moving the plumbing and window may be a deal breaker :(. Your concern with the open shower has me thinking whatever we do it may be wise to plan for the option of adding a door in the future if the open shower doesn't work for us if it's cold...

Makaloco: mineral deposits are a big issue in our area as well. I'm going to also try out the shower design you suggested as well. Do you find the doorless shower cold or drafty? (I'm wondering if the design / shape of the shower plays a part in that.)
  • makaloco
    9 år siden
    Valecrest, my bathroom is chilly in winter because my house is unheated. :) But I don't notice that it's drafty, even though I live alone and usually shower with the bathroom door open. The shower opening is only about 18", and the partition walls (concrete) are a little over six feet high. I do think size and placement of the opening in relation to the bathroom door, windows, or ventilation flow might affect draftiness, but I've always found that the worst part is getting OUT of the shower!
  • PRO
    Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
    9 år siden
    Maybe half of the short wall next to the door can be glass block and mimic that in a half wall next to the toilet, keep the rest of the shower walls open, curbless shower with a linear drain by Schluter?
  • Valecrest
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    So attached are pictures of the layout I have in mind... The details aren't necessarily what I'd like to see thought...

Any Thoughts???
  • makaloco
    9 år siden
    Looks great, and I actually like this layout better than the one in your plan, if it would fit. I don't think you're going to be happy with that short wall next to the door.
  • PRO
    Design Set Match
    9 år siden
    I agree with Makaloco, but it would require relocating your toilet if you are trying to avoid that I don't know
  • PRO
    Tissino
    9 år siden

I have a single glass panel at home in a setting that isn't dissimilar to yours, it's open, spacious and airy and I love it. We do dry it afterwards but you can squeegee a flat piece of glass in no time - it's been in pace for 3 years now and looks like new. We sell treated glass panels which is obviously what i went for! Like the others, I think you might regret having that stud wall in place, I think you'll find it quite restrictive. Water does splash outside the enclosure but we installed underfloor heating which takes care of that.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.