hzdeleted_1806966

Should We Add Curtains or Not?

User
9 år siden
We already have white plantation shutters in the master bedroom for privacy. I'm thinking about adding some curtains-maybe either in a sheer white or sand color just to add interest and to make it more cozy. Suggestions are welcome!

(49) kommentarer

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    Here is another picture of the room. All the colors are neutral. What are some other ways I can add more interest? I don't necessarily want to add more color into the room. The carpet is a neutral color. I'm also thinking about adding a small area rug, but don't know about layering rugs over carpet.
  • Angel 18432
    9 år siden
    Personally I wouldn't put up any curtains/drapes. The room has nice clean lines right now.
    You could wallpaper the back wall if you wanted to add some pop.
    User thanked Angel 18432
  • kathryn2616
    9 år siden
    I would add linen curtains in a natural/light tan color for a romantic cozy room. Your room looks beautiful :)
    User thanked kathryn2616
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks Cyndiemarie for the great picture, and thanks Angel for the idea about making the back wall an accent wall by adding wall paper. I've also though about using stencils and paint to make it look like wallpaper. I like the linen idea, Kathryn.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 år siden
    Whatever you decide, it looks great. Love your mix of pillows and throws. I'm ready for a nap. lol :)
    User thanked zazfuzzroc
  • Patricia Crawford
    9 år siden
    i could see velvet curtains (they will go well with the side tables) for warmth or something textured but in a light or white color to match the shutters and bedspread. pottery barn has a beautiful ivory color. note that the curtains will reduce the light as the rod will not extend much past the window frame. beautiful room.
    User thanked Patricia Crawford
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Never thought about using velvet before. That could be very pretty and luxurious. I was thinking about using a sheer sand curtain-Restoration Hardware has some great choices, but now I'm not sure. Linen, velvet, or sheer? Sheer would be soft, linen would feel classic and tailored, and velvet would feel luxurious! I should probably get samples and try all of them in the room.
  • Natalie
    9 år siden
    Hi---very pretty room. Floor to ceiling (as high up as you can go), linen panels. I recommend panels the same color as your walls, but one to two shades darker or lighter than wall color-(examples shown in pics). Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Traditional Living Room · Mere information
    ][houzz=
    Jane Lockhart Interior Design, Kylemore Model Home "Dublin" · Mere information
    ][houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-dream-home-bedroom-at-merchandise-mart-transitional-bedroom-chicago-phvw-vp~213842]
    User thanked Natalie
  • dorothyferguson
    9 år siden
    Definitely needs curtains. That will put a finished touch on the room.
    User thanked dorothyferguson
  • dorothyferguson
    9 år siden
    I think sheers are nice.
  • mp1983
    9 år siden
    i agree with dorothyferguson... sheer curtains will put a finished touch to the room
    User thanked mp1983
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks Natalie for the great pictures! Very helpful.
  • dorothyferguson
    9 år siden
    I think when you get your nice curtains put up, it might be nice to sneak a little touch of color in there somewhere, such as a pretty throw pillow, a candle and maybe picture that you would be happy with. I like your room.
  • dorothyferguson
    9 år siden
    This is very pretty.
  • Free Ketal
    9 år siden
    Karen! Lovely Room. Roman blinds might work.
    User thanked Free Ketal
  • Patti Gagan
    9 år siden
    Please no curtains. It is so clean and lovely now. I see what you mean about needing interest. My suggestion is to change out the mirror over the bed for something with some color.
    User thanked Patti Gagan
  • mermaide
    9 år siden
    Remove mirror and substitute art, that could be your color
    User thanked mermaide
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Would love to do roman blinds, but they don't give you the same amount of privacy as shutters and our room faces the neighbor's bedroom....so we really need to have the option of opening and closing easily. While roman shades are beautiful, ) I have them in other places in the home) they are a pain to open and close. Have tried several paintings in that space and can't seem to find the right one. Will keep working on this project :-) Thanks for all the great suggestions.
  • PRO
    Images Everything Photography
    9 år siden
    Lovely room! I do agree that sheers will finish the room, but I also think you have enough room above to add a scarf atop each side. They would drape down over the sheers by only 6-8". Perhaps pulling the green from the pillow on the chair, it would tie it all together but in a light/simple way.
  • jnd123456
    9 år siden
    I think you should add curtains
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I'm aiming for the look in this picture. I want to keep the colors very neutral but just add some different textures to create interest. It's not easy to achieve.
  • Angel 18432
    9 år siden
    Those pictures with curtains do look nice.
  • PRO
    Images Everything Photography
    9 år siden
    As for layering the rug over the carpet...go for it! Again, pulling that green in with your other colors will ground the color scheme and make it cohesive.
    User thanked Images Everything Photography
  • Angel 18432
    9 år siden
    with curtains.
    User thanked Angel 18432
  • Patti Gagan
    9 år siden
    What I see I the photo you like is texture. Maybe change out your duvet for a chenille bedspread. Add pillows with faux fur and Mongolian wool. Shaggy rug. That kind of thing.
    User thanked Patti Gagan
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Yes, Patti! Love your idea of faux fur pillows and a shaggy rug. Love the look of cowhides but just can't use them bc I love animals. Hate to replace the white, cotton duvet because it's fairly new and easy to wash. I have 2 cats who mess up everything, but I could maybe replace the coverlet with a chenille one. That would really be pretty! Thanks for the idea.
  • caroje 27
    9 år siden
    Yes, definitely add drapery. It will finish your room.
    User thanked caroje 27
  • PRO
    Ekhaya Designs
    9 år siden
    The ultimate decision on whether to add window treatments or not has to do with what do you wish to accomplish in the end.

Here are some things to consider: do you want the room to keep its lines or do you want to add softness to the room. Adding panels will soften the hard-lines in the room.

Do you want the window treatments for looks or function? If you need them just for looks you can add panels but if you need them for function you may need to consider panels wide enough to cover the entire window, or panels with black out lining if you are trying to keep the sun out.

How much are you willing to spend for your window treatments? Custom panels can cost a lot, but you can purchase ready made panels that would still look beautiful and not cost an arm and a leg.

The room already looks great and I am confident that you will make a good choice. Good Luck.
    User thanked Ekhaya Designs
  • Lisa Barrett
    9 år siden
    Grass cloth the back wall! Adds texture color and interest! No curtains. Maybe a lil pop of color in the pillow? But really I thing the walls could really warm up the room.
    User thanked Lisa Barrett
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks Ekhaya for the wonderful advice. Yes, I really do want to add panels to soften the hard lines in the room. I have looked around and can purchase reasonable priced linen or sheer panels at Restoration Hardware instead of having them custom made. I think your points are excellent and very helpful.
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Lisa, love the idea you have about adding grass cloth to the back wall to add texture. I think I just have to decide whether or not to either make the wall a focal point by adding wall paper or doing a faux finish or just simply adding panels to the windows to soften lines of the room. Such great suggestions!
  • PRO
    Divine Design
    9 år siden
    Why don't you add simple linen & silk (same colour or similar) striped voiles to the windows (one each side) these will soften the lines, give you privacy when needed, add texture, give the illusion of taller windows & look amazing
    User thanked Divine Design
  • hatetoshop
    9 år siden
    Unfortunately, with the angle of your ceiling, panels could only be hung from directly above the trim.
    User thanked hatetoshop
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Yes, hatetoshop! I agree. The ceiling limits me from going only about 1 inch above the window/ casing. That's my only concern. Will that look good or will it actually accent the lines of the room more? In other areas of my home, I put the curtains very high above the windows to make the ceiling height look even higher.
  • hatetoshop
    9 år siden
    If you want the panels, then I think hanging them lower is fine. In all four of my bedrooms, on the upper floor, the angled ceilings cut right through the trim! I've decided to embrace the simple look of roman blinds.
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I'm sure roman blinds look great. Love them! We already have plantation shutters (very expensive but practical-so easy to open and close for privacy. Our bedroom faces our neighbor's bedroom. Thanks for your help, hatetoshop. Just love that name!
  • PRO
    Ekhaya Designs
    9 år siden
    Great observation by hatetoshop. Roman blinds will look great too. Check out some of the blind looks from one of my favorite go to The Shade Store on line they also have store fronts so you can visit and check out their fabric choices.
  • Geneviève
    9 år siden
    Yes they will give your room a bit more warmth.
    User thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    9 år siden
    yes, Add stationary panels in a box pleat so that the lines will stay clean and pull to the corner away from the bed. It will add softness to the room and make it look more inviting. They can match the color of the wall and a monochromatic embellishment like a greek key tape in the neutral color will add more interest while keeping the look your are going for.
    User thanked Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks Maison for the great idea about adding a panel and pulling corner to the side. Yes, a box pleated panel would add a more traditional and tailored look, right?
  • sandradclark
    9 år siden
    Do you have an Ikea available where you live? If so, they have lovely velvet or linen panels. I just bought a pair with grommets for $29.99. You might find a pair (all you need is one panel per window) with a lovely ikat pattern like your inspiration room.
    Your room is fabulous the way it is, but I would like a little texture or subtle color added. Maybe a faded Persian area rug extended a little beyond the foot of your bed. Could be on an angle. Keep everything else as it is.....close to perfect!
    User thanked sandradclark
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    I wouldn't add anything to window. You could change out lamps for a bigger base, and cream drum style shades.
    User thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    9 år siden
    Yes it would look traditional and current at the same time while adding softness to the room
    User thanked Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
  • janroze
    9 år siden
    I definitely like the subtle printed simple drapes with your style. Yes, rug on carpet or rug on larger rug is OK. I like the layered look in many things, cuz it is warmer and cozier, as is m;ore and more texture, but you need smooth stuff fo contrast too.
    User thanked janroze
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 år siden
    Your room looks great...if you want a more cozy feel, i would suggest the sheer panels. something light and nothing too graphic. I agree with Nancy, change out the lamps with a bigger base.
    User thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • kathryn2616
    9 år siden
    You don't have to spend a fortune on curtains. I purchased 96" linen curtains from homegoods for $19.99 a pair and they look great! Here is a pic of them in my living room. Also I definitely agree with layering a shag carpet under your bed :)
    User thanked kathryn2616
  • Free Ketal
    9 år siden
    They have come a long way with privacy screening,that you wet and attach to your windows. This will give you complete privacy is not too expensive and you can keep your plantation shutters.
    User thanked Free Ketal
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Yes, Kathryn! Your curtains look great, and your colors are so similar to mine--neutrals! Thanks for the picture. I just ordered some sheer panels in the color, sand. I can't wait to put them up and post a picture. Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions :-)
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.