lkblair13

Wood doors

Lesha Blair
9 år siden
The wood in my Spanish revival hour is very dated looking. The doors, baseboard, and casing are all this muted brown color that shows a lot of the grain. The baseboard is thin and looks cheap. I'm not sure what the best solution for updating is. I would rather not replace all of the doors and trim since there are other more major projects that will need to be completed as well. The pictures don't really shown the brown as true to life as I would like. They do shown the grain though. The best picture of the color is the one of the upper cabinets. Should we try to stain the doors a darker more modern wood color? Should we paint them? What about the trim?

(8) kommentarer

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    The trim in the second picture looks good, however, it doesn't look like the trim on the door. Is it the same?
    If so, leave the trim stained and paint the door white.

Cross Lake 1 - Hall · Mere information

As for the kitchen cabinets...well, dated is a very good description. I first would put my money into replacing them.
  • PRO
    New England Design & Construction
    9 år siden
    What type of look are you going for? I think there are definitely a lot of ways you can update the appearance, but a modern look is going to be very different than eclectic or something that would be in keeping with a historical appearance.
    Do you have other pictures of the space and your style overall?
  • PRO
    Charles Neal Interiors
    9 år siden
    If possible, I would consider replacing the doors and adding thicker trim. Those doors look like composite doors which you cant stain. Your only option would be to paint them but then again painting all of your doors and trim is a huge pain and the quality might not come out as desired.
  • PRO
    Exclusive Wood Doors
    9 år siden
    The doors displayed are veneers, therefore in re-stained or finishing the you must be cautious when sanding. Veneer is just a very thin layer of wood and can be sanded through. If you attempt this I recommend sanding by hand. However, replacing the doors could be good option.
  • Lesha Blair
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @new england design & construction: The house is a spanish revival. We are trying to update the entire house to be a bit more modern but also keep some of the spanish feel. (The exterior is stucco/clay roof with some wood details.) So we dont want to have a completely different style on the interior. The interior primarily has the knockdown texture. It has nice tiled arches in areas. The problem is that all of the finishes are very very dated. We are going to start in the two smaller bedrooms since those will be easy to finish and consider "done" The issue is that I feel that whatever "trim/wood decision" we make for the entire house should be carried into those rooms. We could probably stand to keep the baseboard and just paint it white. However, a decision needs to be made for the doors. I was thinking they were veneer doors. I don't have any experience with staining etc. So I wasn't sure what the best option is. The doors are extremely light.. not sure if that helps determine if they are veneer or not.
  • Lesha Blair
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @judyG designs. you are correct about it not being the same trim. That particular trim is around a mirrored bifold door that is adjacent to the doors in the other photo. I took the picture quickly and didnt realize it was different.
  • Maureen
    9 år siden
    If you can't sand, cupboard doors and kitchen cupboards could be painted with milkpaint and I believe you don't have to sand (change handles on all). You could take down the border and change paint color to help with some updating before a complete redo. Good luck.
    houzz=
    Plantation Inspired Kitchen · Mere information
    ]
  • anne dee
    9 år siden
    in the kitchen you might replace the cabinet doors and paint the kitchen white with new hardware
    Add a rough hewn wooden floor
    And some added elements such as the stain glass window
    ref inpiration pic
    Prospect Circle · Mere information
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.