radanand

Want to breath life into my living room!!

radanand
9 år siden
Hi- we just bought this house, my living room is narrow and even though we have enough windows, we don't get enough natural light in the room. We bought the cream chaise recently but it's going back because it's fabric is like a magnet for dirt. I love bright colors and would like my living room to look big and colorful. Please can you suggest what color couch I should get and what sort of accent chairs can be bought. Also any advise on side tables and placement of the furniture will be useful. Thanks

(150) kommentarer

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    what about this space? a buffet table maybe? i like this one
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    i still feel like there is so much missing, i would love to have more art but there just isnt enough space.. maybe over the bupff[e=t table
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    i feel like i need curtains in this area
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

yes the picture i posted for you with the book cases behind the white chairs.. the curtains add softness.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

dont try to fill every space, get some more art. you dont need a table poking into the walking path.
    focus on finishing up with the bench or seating in the living room
    and the ideas for the play area....
    while your out look for some art and curtains...

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    what do you think of the buffet table?
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    ah! our comments overlapped
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sure does help me prioritize :)
  • groveraxle
    8 år siden

radanand, I'd get end tables to put on each end of the couch, either a bench, or a couple of x-leg stools--

Palmer Ottoman - Antique Gold · Mere information

--for opposite the two chairs, and that's it. You don't need more
    furniture and you don't really need more art since there's no wall space
    for it.

I would like to see you bring in another color, something cool like the teal I show above. It will perk up the space.

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Another thought: where are your outlets and do you need lamps? Lamps on the end tables could be a problem with cords and little people who (I guarantee) will find that space behind the sofa just the most perfect place. In this case, you might consider a sofa table instead of end tables, specifically for the purpose of holding lamps.

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Groveraxle- You are absolutely right about adding more to the color palette, I was thinking more gold but could can definitely add teal as well...these individual pieces, I think, will weave the colors together..I was also thinking of getting curtains with gold in them

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I Have outlets right behind the sofa, I think a sofa table will do nicely there with lamps but then there will be no walking space. Is that a design fail?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

love the color!!!!

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

oh! and any advise on where I could put the mirror? Its small but so pretty, dont you think?

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    do you think I can put this book case behind the chairs in the play area?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

if nothing else, its a great start.. not sure if its tall enough, but might work between the chairs.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

try mirror where clock was..

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

put the tea light holders on either side of the plate above the tv maybe.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

you could easily paint that book case too..

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Yes! I could paint it..or I was thinking keep it the way it is..it will break up the white layout?? In any case, now that I have one approval I will now started convincing hubby to help me take it down from the study to downstairs :)
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    The book case is an inch shorter than the chairs
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

How is this?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

too small up there arent they.. i think, the vase is out. i like the peacock closer to the painting.

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    ok!! thoughts please
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    i think for the book case to work there, the bike needs to go...its too much otherwise...plus the art is not centered either...keeping chairs in front of the case makes it look very cluttered
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Without the bike
  • groveraxle
    8 år siden

Dayum, you work fast, girl! Don't smash your mantel objects up against the molding. Keep all your decor more or less within the firebox width. Agree with flair; put peacock just left of artwork and lose the vase.

Tealight holders are too small to be useful. Don't buy anything that small again, OK? ;-)

Is there a place for that teal mirror on one of the shelves? And I think you can do both teal and gold because gold (as in metal) is basically neutral. I like such a strong red as your rug and pillows to be tempered by something cool, and a few spots of teal will be perfect for that.

Bookcase is too big between chairs. If it were wider, you could put the chairs in front, but as it is, it doesn't work. Put the table back.

As to your question about the space behind the sofa, you don't have a proper walk space there now anyway, so you might as well put a sofa table there and use it to hold lamps and perhaps one wide bowl or three table frames. Nothing else.

I meant to tell you earlier and forgot: I think you've done a beautiful job with this space. It's comfortable and elegant without being stuffy. Right now you're down to the tweaking. You've got a good eye and you've learned to let go of stuff you love when it doesn't work. I have no doubt you'll have it perfect in no time!

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thank you so much Groveraxle :-)...you and Flair have been amazing today, and since I had your attention I moved things quite quickly
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

hubby is in love with the reading nook, is there a way to make it work? change the color of the bookcase?

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Without the bike, it works. I think you have to make a decision about which you'd rather have. If you want a reading nook, but don't have to use THAT bookcase, you could put a very low bookcase--maybe Ikea's Kallax--under the window. It could double as a bench and a play surface. With bins, it could even hold some toys.

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    It is working with the book case, have convinced hubby to move the bike to our bedroom :-) it has actually added a nice warm corner to the play area :-) the only thing I did not expect was the game that my one year old has discovered- "how many books can I pull out when no one is looking:/"
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

i like the book case looks good personally! mabye a few shallow light baskets in it..but i think it all needs to go to the right about 10 -12 inches, centered to that wall. and angle the chairs just a tad.

the half wall opposite the chairs could be a place for something to throw toys in...

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thank you so much Flair and Grovel for all your inputs, to help make this play area multi functional. I am loving it!!!
    This AM was spent with hubby lying on the mat reading and baby sitting inside his toy storage :) finally feels like it is coming together!!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

to the right to the right....

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

im very happy for you. its looking like a room now!!!

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Ah!! You know what, the art piece on the wall is not centered on the wall..the book case is as per that..I had the bike on the extreme right when I got the art installed ...will go home and have a look again
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Got the leather couch today and am loving it :) Any ideas on what cushion colors to get? I am yet to add additional seating on the other side of the couch, still looking...
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    So, I thought of sharing what my living room looks like now. I got such wonderful ideas from this community. Its only fair to add this update to my first ever post on Houzz :)

Will be very keen to hear any thoughts and feedback!!
  • PRO
    Larissa Hicks- S&W Kitchens, Inc.
    8 år siden
    A deep teal color couch would look great with the wood floors and other furniture. You can add s lighter color rug
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Hi Larissa- this is all new furniture, so I am not changing it
  • PRO
    Larissa Hicks- S&W Kitchens, Inc.
    8 år siden
    Sorry, I thought you said in an early comment that the couch was going back since it was a magnet for dirt.
    Should've read further
  • radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Ah! You should see the beginning of the post, that's what I started with :) I have a leather couch now..
  • everdebz
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I like how you mixed in pillows and a furry pouf.

Like the orange-y. And dark accent walls with mirror adds something.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 år siden

love it...

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thanks Flair, always appreciated all the guidance you provided :)
  • groveraxle
    8 år siden

radanand, the view of the dining room beyond the living room--your second photo above--is SPECTACULAR! You have made these two rooms work together seamlessly. You have a very good eye. I love everything you've done!

• radanand
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thank you so much Grover :) I can honestly say that I could not have done it without all the constructive feedback I received from you guys!! A lot of people asked me to get rid of the rug, which I love, but you guys always gave me such wonderful ideas to make it all work together!!
  • PRO
    Jasper + Phoenix
    8 år siden
    I really don't like the idea of the couch being right up to the kitchen/bar...water could splash or drinks spill onto your furniture. I would find two or three slim, backless bar stools. Find a sofa shaped similar to that Hamilton Leather by west elm and move it forward in the room with a couple chairs on either side. An area rug that's large enough to define the space. In the dining room. I would move the table closer to the wall since you don't have a buffet table there. The mirror could be a much larger scale. Like was mentioned earlier, you can re center the fixture over the table.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.