amelia_steltzer

New home! Help!

Amelia Steltzer
9 år siden
Hello all! Small kitchen- not much width so can't add island. I am planning on changing appliances to stainless steel. House came with this black granite that I am willing to try to work with for now. The home is a cute cape cod style. I need help with color ideas?! Paint cabinets white? Would that contrast too much with the black counter? Will change out lighting and hardware as well. Any suggestions? Thank you all! Will eventually remodel the kitchen but need to work with this for a few years first. Any suggestions would be helpful!

(24) kommentarer

• PRO
    JAZ Design, Inc.
    9 år siden
    Hi Amelia,
    I would paint the cabinets white. It's not an easy task, but for the time being it will brighten up the space and do wonders for the existing wall color which I happen to like. I would also look into a working island. They make some fairly nice styles in a stainless or painted finish and many are narrow. From the photo it looks like it will work well. Many are on casters so if you need to move it out of the way for any reason it's very easy to do. You could go with a simple white or or a stainless model that will tie in your new stainless sleel appliances, Try C&B or Ikea. It will be well worth the extra counter space for 2-3 years.
  • Kendrah
    9 år siden
    I would hold off on getting new appliances unless these ones truly don't work. If you are doing a new remodel in a few years, get new appliances then. Stainless steel might not be what you want at that point to compliment the rest of your kitchen. I personally like white appliances. With the kitchen being on the smaller side, I would like to see white cabinets and white appliances - it will look less choppy in a small space. I think it can look fine with a black countertop. I would paint the walls and ceiling a soft, lighter grey to tie it together. And then I would get some kind of farm table or butcher block on high legs to put in the center of the room as extra counter space. I think it can all have a nice cottage like feel to it.

Congrats on your new home.
  • raineycarole
    9 år siden
    Keep the white appliances, paint the cabinets white and make the walls a light grey.
  • rananashville
    9 år siden
    Paint cabinets white (not easy), keep countertops. See if you can find a freestanding kitchen cart (in stainless steel or white-painted wood) that will fit. I don't even think you'd need to paint the walls! It looks nice!!
  • marilynellis
    9 år siden
    I think you have room for a small rolling island or even butcher block type. It will help create a room rather than a galley feeling.
  • Mike
    9 år siden
    I would definitely refinish the cabinets in white w/ ss appliances.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    The cabinets are very dated. I would paint white. Make sure you use a paint made for cabinets. Lowes sells. White will be perfect with the black counters and stainless appl.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    You could use a backsplash of stainless and mix with black, white and gray. Mosaic, Lowes carries one. Paint wall color is perfect.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Put a white pleated shade on window. Floors are good.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    After Christmas. There will many sells on packages of appl. Look for them. Stainless will up date your look.
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    9 år siden
    I would paint the cabinets white they will look great with the black countertops. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Flo de Bretagne
    9 år siden
    I just read all the answers you got an everyone seems to agree on white. Yet I still am sceptical about it. I would paint your cabinets in light yellow instead.
  • rananashville
    9 år siden
    A very light taupe color (think feathers) would also work -- and you still would not have to paint the walls -- but I do like the thought of white, as you originally proposed.
  • PRO
    Flo de Bretagne
    9 år siden
    I also like the taupe color idea.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 år siden
    the lighting is good for the space, and white cabinets, or change the color of the walls.
  • PRO
    Home ReNewal Painting & Cabinet Refinshing
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    You could raise the cabinets by adding some crown with a rope, and if you have the budget build an enclosure for the refrigerator which would allow you to move those top over the fridge cabs forward so you could use them better---I have seen people put a television in there too. Somehow though, it does not look very cozy, perhaps some kind of countertop table with stools or something, if that is in the budget--but I agree with the need even if it is movable, some kind of island or something to make this space more inviting. If you get a real cabinet painter it will look like a furniture grade finish.... That white and black combo is great but you can tweak it a lot by moving the colors a bit to coordinate with your preferences. If you have a huge open orange floor, not a closed in one, you might not want to use a pure white--I have seen SW Eschelon Ecru used once esp if you add crown and a rope trim and some glaze in the grooves--more people use "off whites", the cabinet color is going to be there a long time and it need not be "matchey-matchey" to the trim but if you do an overall glaze, that color would be a good base color.
  • Tina
    9 år siden
    I think your cabinets are okay, however I think having the floors the same wood tone as the cabinets is the problem. Stainless appliances will update the look. If you decide to paint the cabinets white they will look good with the wood floor and the dark countertop.
  • SusieQ Martin
    9 år siden
    I agree with the first comment what no one to date has mentioned is adding a contrasting color of trim at the top such as black crown with a white rope moulding would dress this kitchen up considerably. That is if you were to paint the cabinets white and keep the black countertop. I do tend to think that the white appliances are quit ok with it. Moulding are the least expensive addition and would dress it up greatly.
  • angelmom1025
    9 år siden
    I have white cabinets, black countertops and stainless appliances. It looks classy, modern and clean. I love it everyday!
  • pattio06
    9 år siden
    Your kitchen is almost exactly like mine. We opened the wall between kitchen and small dining room. We always had room for a small table in kitchen so we took that out and made an 48" island using 2- 24" cabinets with drawers that matched our present cabinets. Then hubby made a butcher block top with overhang enough for seating for 2 stools. We sit with our backs against the wall but still enough room to be comfortable. I have never regretted making this small island. Just the right size for the room. More storage and still enough room to open the appliances.
  • pattio06
    9 år siden
    Sorry. I should have added. Our kitchen is 11 1/2 feet wide x 13' long. I never thought that would give me room for an island but it works
  • Marci
    9 år siden
    We purchased a Belmont island from Crate and Barrel for our tiny kitchen and it works well for us. It now comes in three colors: black, white, and mint, all with butcher block top. We use it with wheels, but it also comes with legs. It significantly increased the storage space and there is a drop leaf that one can prop up for more counter area-very helpful for more elaborate cooking projects.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 år siden
    Hi there. that kitchen would look smoking hot by painting the cabinets white. Also use your appliances white while they work, that is money you can use elsewhere. Nowadays they do not last that much anyway. change to stainless as they stop working. get your fridge stainless for example and work from there.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.