glenda_fritz

Need help with four STEP-DOWN/RISER...YIKES..Any suggestion!

Glenda Fritz
9 år siden
sidst ændret:9 år siden
We are tiling our whole house and we are using a polished Crema Marfil Porcelain Tile throughout our home (including bedrooms, closets, kitchen and bathrooms, etc). Our tile is 24" and our house is about 3500 sq ft.

We are in dire need of any advise or suggestions on what to do about our many step downs, we have FOUR STEPS that separate FOUR different areas. The first lower area is the FOYER and has a doorway that leads to a bedroom then it has a STEP-UP, which is the highest point in the house, this is where our formal living room, dining room and kitchen and eat-in area are. The LIVING ROOM has a STEP-DOWN leading to the family room and remaining bedrooms and bathrooms of the house. The DINING ROOM has a STEP-DOWN which leads to another bedroom, bathroom, the garage, laundry room. In the KITCHEN there is another STEP-DOWN leading to the again to the family room and remaining bedrooms and bathrooms of the house. We can not raise the floor because of the elevation of the house, windows, and the doors leading to outside.

The picture you see here is the STEP-DOWN that leads to LAUDRY room, garage area, etc. ...I could add more pictures if needed. This is just an example so you can get the idea of how it looks.

Please can anyone help us how we can differentiate our floor so no one can get hurt. We haven't moved in yet until all flooring and remodel is done but this has us so worried. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thank you everyone for your time and we look forward to all your advise.

(9) kommentarer

• Glenda Fritz
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    MZK thank you for your advise. The reason why this is so concerning to me is that my mother fell and hurt herself when all the old tile was removed and left in bare cement (she didn't see the step-down going to the garage). I just felt awful and I don't want anyone else getting hurt. There are four different areas that have the step-down and I have never seen this in a house before that has this many steps. This is stressing me out because I would like to make it safe but also look good at the same time.
  • PRO
    MZK Home Improvement & Roofing
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    Color and texture are your friend in this case. Get some sample tiles and play around with ideas. Another thought might be painting the rooms (or just the entry ways) different colors as a visual signal. It could be the same family of color but darker or lighter. Also check to see if you can get a decorative hand rail. People may not use it, but it is a visual signal and could look quite stunning. I feel your pain on the worry of someone getting hurt. But it looks like you have several options and a solution will be found :-)

One more thought. A mosaic artist could do something special with your steps :-)
  • Darzy
    9 år siden
    Yes, you can enhance the steps with different tile, or colorful mosaics to accentuate the steps. Or, put a different color "bullnose" on the step edge to highlight the step.
    Staircase · Mere information
  • Irene Morresey
    9 år siden
    Yes a different tile colour in a complimentary colour to your main tile would be good or perhaps a darker narrow tile a couple of inches in from the edge of step
  • mellaurie
    8 år siden

I have the same problem, now installing a wood floor. My designer suggested using a different color edge in wood or stone or some type of inlay. I too am hoping that someone has a nearly "fall proof" suggestion. I can't find any designer pictures of the look that I want.

• Bimini Cricket
    7 år siden

Thought about recessed stair lights in the risers?

• PRO
    MZK Home Improvement & Roofing
    7 år siden

Stairs are never fall-proof. What to think about is making stairs beautiful and as safe as possible. One of our favorite ideas is a beautiful carpet runner. A beautiful runner attracts the eye so that people know they are approaching stairs from either the top of the staircase or the bottom. Also, the carpet adds a non-slip area to walk on. The trick is finding a a really interesting carpet for the runner to enhance the staircase without overpowering the tile or wood. You don't have to select a pre-made carpet runner - find a gorgeous carpet anywhere and have the carpet people make a runner for you.

• suezbell
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

You have four different places with one step down each?

A different color on the riser could help someone about to step up see the step but will do little for someone about to step down. A better warning "sign" would be a vertical accent stripe (paint or wall paper trim tape or actual 1"x4" board vertically attached to the wall, perhaps with the narrow edges on both sides painted red or orange or some other bright color that doesn't totally clash with your wall color.

If you're redoing the wiring, you might add a light at each; otherwise, you might invest in some battery powered lights for the wall beside each step and turn them on when you have guests that are unaware or unaccustomed to the steps or forgetfull they exist.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=battery+powered+lights+for+interior+step&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=1E05E606781744D5B067BB25A4BEB0C8

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.