emmaal

Would appreciate any advice on making my ugly house less ugly!

M D
11 år siden
sidst ændret:11 år siden
Here is our house. It will need a new roof and I definitely want some new windows or some sort of change to the facade to improve the look. It is just simply ugly and I'm not even sure where to start. It's white stucco. I was thinking with major renovations next year (i.e. we are likely adding on to the back), a couple bay windows to replace the two really small windows on the right) could make it less ugly. Well, anything could really. I think the black shutters are too much for the house...would it help if I changed the colour to grey simply to soften it up in the meantime? I don't know where to start. Is it beyond simple cosmetic changes and in need of an architect? Any suggestions most welcome and appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.

(48) kommentarer

• PRO
    Walden Design Group - Cynthia Walden
    11 år siden
    Invest in a landscape designer who can help you create a more prominent and elegant walkway, stairway and entry to your home as well as some berms, planting beds and groups of trees, shrubs and flowers for your front yard. The return on investment in terms of curb appeal from new landscaping will far exceed that from making cosmetic changes to the building exterior. Good luck with your project.
    M D thanked Walden Design Group - Cynthia Walden
  • pcmom1
    11 år siden
    Gee, I think you must have very high standards because I think your house is very appealing.

Echo both posters above: beefing up entry area: perhaps creating a covered area that wraps from door around part of garage side. Then, paint the door, add a much larger, carriage house style light to the left side of door, a wicker chair to sit in, pots of plants.

And Walden is right: getting the curb appeal thru the yard's landscaping is great return on investment.
    M D thanked pcmom1
  • merav
    11 år siden
    I TOO THINK YOU SHOULD GO WITH A LANDSCAPE PRO BUT I WOULD START WITH UPDATING THE ENTRY DOOR AND STEPS. RED DOOR MAYBE? THEN I WOULD ALSO CLEAN UP THE FRONT. REMOVE ALL THE SHRUBS SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE. THE DRIVE WAY COULD BE WORKED ON AS WELL. EITHER CHANGE IT TO A STONE DRIVEWAY (NOT SURE WHAT'S INVOLVED IN THAT) OR AT LEAST USE SOME NICE STONE TO MARK THE EDGES OF THE DRIVEWAY WHERE IT MEETS WITH THE GRASS.
    M D thanked merav
  • Ruthie Snow_Cruce
    11 år siden
    can't tell much from the picture the yard is fairly squared off. I would cut that grass area back with curved line and curve it a bit up to the door/porch. It would depend on if you want to make it more cottage like or more contemporary, you could go either way with a bungalow. It has a very clean look to it as it is now. Very much like the houses we had in my home town.
    M D thanked Ruthie Snow_Cruce
  • Susan Rapier
    11 år siden
    This is a cute house! I agree that the black shutters are a bit much for a white house. I would love to see a soft grey or taupe, perhaps a black or red door and black shutters. Because the house is linear, you could soften it with rounded lines in the landscaping. Happy decorating!
    M D thanked Susan Rapier
  • lefty47
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    HI -- Looking closer at your house ,I think I see a very pale yellow , Am I right. ? If it is , then I would put on a more yellow ,yellow . Then with the black shutters and may be a very red front door , It would be stunning ? Yellow is the number one curb appeal house color in north america .
    M D thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 år siden
    I believe in order for you to move forward, you first need to embrace the house and see it as it really is. I can't imagine how you ended up with a house that you so totally loathe. There is absolutely nothing ugly about the house. There are certain things you can do to make it more appealing to you. However, you must first get beyond "hate", to it just might have some possibilities, and tell yourself this is how you must move forward in order to make good decisions.
    M D thanked karen paul interiors
  • M D
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thank you everyone for your time in giving me feedback. Lefty47...behind the big set of windows is the main living area. And directly behind the main living area is the kitchen. The living area and kitchen is separated by a wall, so we really wanted to remove the wall and make it more open. That's one of our main goals. The two sets of small windows on the right are the second and third bedrooms. The main bedroom is the back right of the house.

When you enter the front door there is a half wall with planter box insert! Definitely a 50s home. There is also a door on the left side of the house. That door enters into the kitchen.

I really don't want a very large house. I'm happy with the size, just not the layout and the lack of curb appeal. I know I can improve them. Just didn't know where to start.

The house is actually a stucco white. Very white. The photo must've come up a bit yellow.

I'd love to replace the small sets of windows in all the bedrooms with larger windows. Probably centre the window on the far right (to be in the centre of the bedroom). And, perhaps make both of them bay windows? Not sure if that would suit the house or be good for the climate (we are living in Minneapolis).

The garden. I like the idea of a contemporary low maintenance garden, but I definitely want plants/shrubs that hold their shape, as come winter, I'd like it to still look nice. So I'd like a fair share of evergreens, but not sure how to balance them or add perennials around then, so may need the landscape designer. I love the idea of more garden area in the yard or closer to the street. I like the idea of rounded lines to soften the appearance.

Karen....long story with how we ended up with this house, but we love how it feels, it has good energy and was occupied by the original loving owners since it was built. It's the right home for us...just not knowing how to give it a facelift. The back yard is incredible. Flat large lot with a lot of privacy. I'm the one who put the black shutters on it and I feel like I've given it two black eyes. I guess that's what I like the least. In fact, the most embarrassing bit is that to the right of the far right window (that is at the corner of the house), there was not even enough room for a full shutter...so I cut it's width to about 4 inches and put it up anyway. I'm sure that's good effort, but probably not aesthetically appealing to most!?

The driveway has peonies ALL the way up the left side to the garage. Probably about 30-40 plants! The front yard has a red maple to the right. The birch shown in the newly attached photos unfortunately was downed in a storm so no longer there.

I like and appreciate all suggestions so thank you everyone for your comments.
  • pcmom1
    11 år siden
    Beautiful! Love all the flowers!

I had one thought when you spoke about replacing the two small windows in the front. Are those your children's bedrooms? May NOT want to enlarge them, just for safety sake (protection from weirdos!).

Can you tell I grew up in a crime ridden urban area?

Plus, the small windows mean more options for arranging furniture inside. To dress up outside, I think window boxes would look nice and help to balance the size of the windows.

PS: Your shutter story is a classic!
    M D thanked pcmom1
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 år siden
    emmaal, I am so glad you love the house and that you feel the energy! That is such a fabulous beginning. I always say if we listen closely enough our homes will tell us what they want. Many people think that's just very weird, but I am a firm believer in intention. So, with that said, you should have not only a good remodel but it will most likely be a good experience! :)
    M D thanked karen paul interiors
  • coolkitty
    11 år siden
    If you like a contemporary look I could see pulling the bedroom windows and replacing with some that match the LR windows. I would pull the shutters and replace the front door with something with a great contemporary feel -- maybe even a full glass panel. A neutral taupe color paint might be nice with a rich wood color on the door. Then call in the landscape designer... I am not a fan of calling attention to driveways -- all the detailed pavers -- simpler is better for me. It's a good looking house -- great possibilities.
    M D thanked coolkitty
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 år siden
    I think from all the comments you can tell there is an applause for your house. Having read them all you are definitely receiving great energy. I think the house is lovely and needs a bit of work, but most of my suggestions are up with the rest. Take down the shutters, sorry, and hold them off for awhile.
    I would start with calling the local window door company (2) for price check. They work the area and this home is a design that can be seen in many south locations.
    It would be nice to put a walkway from the side where you would park maybe 1/2 way up a brick path to the front door. I would suggest you build the front door into a front entry, perhaps extending the front steps left to the end of the building and right past the first set of windows, you could then add a canopy and/or pergola structure to create a small welcome patio and some plants and a couple of benches. Very, very simple.
    From there, I would make the other windows larger. This is just to give you an idea to look at the house a little differently. I would call my broker and interview landscape artists and they will do the walkway, front entry and added plants on planters etc.

The color is very white and my suggestion would be a very pale beige with grey darker trim and shutters or the other way around.these two colors are always very well together. I would do the door with the door window company, it could be a lovely wood and glass and a new screen door or screen windows and no screen door, they have a. way to age a building.
    When you have a beautiful door, entry way and place to stand under the rain you will feel much different. And a couple of trees out front would be nice surrounded with white river rocks. See it is changing already.
    Enjoy your new home life is short.
    M D thanked COConsultants
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 år siden
    I think from all the comments you can tell there is an applause for your house. Having read them all you are definitely receiving great energy. I think the house is lovely and needs a bit of work, but most of my suggestions are up with the rest. Take down the shutters, sorry, and hold them off for awhile.
    I would start with calling the local window door company (2) for price check. They work the area and this home is a design that can be seen in many south locations.
    It would be nice to put a walkway from the side where you would park maybe 1/2 way up a brick path to the front door. I would suggest you build the front door into a front entry, perhaps extending the front steps left to the end of the building and right past the first set of windows, you could then add a canopy and/or pergola structure to create a small welcome patio and some plants and a couple of benches. Very, very simple.
    From there, I would make the other windows larger. This is just to give you an idea to look at the house a little differently. I would call my broker and interview landscape artists and they will do the walkway, front entry and added plants on planters etc.

The color is very white and my suggestion would be a very pale beige with grey darker trim and shutters or the other way around.these two colors are always very well together. I would do the door with the door window company, it could be a lovely wood and glass and a new screen door or screen windows and no screen door, they have a. way to age a building.
    When you have a beautiful door, entry way and place to stand under the rain you will feel much different. And a couple of trees out front would be nice surrounded with white river rocks. See it is changing already.
    Enjoy your new home life is short.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 år siden
    I agree with the comments that there is nothing wrong with this house that landscaping and a bright door (oh, maybe paint the shutters grey) won't fix.

As for landscaping I think you need something more than a row of plants, but rather a front garden that is quite wide and curved...

For landscaping help you might go to your local library for inspiration books. On a more practical level I suggest that you try to get hold of Susan A Roth's books "Four-Season Landscape" and "Weekend Garden Guide". Both are out of print but I found them via Amazon. They can help you form your ideas of what your garden should look like. Then investigate the recommendations from the University of Minnesota--they have a wonderful horticulture department. I get their newsletter because it contains practical advice for midwest gardeners, even those of us in Illinois. You might still want to get a landscape professional, but you will be armed with more information. My daughter bought her shrubs and perennials from a nursery who supplied a landscape designer as part of the deal.

As to winter interest, see if your library has "The Prairie Winterscape. Creative gardening for the forgotten season" by Barbara Kam and Nora Bryan. They garden in Calgary, and focus on Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Montana, Wyoming, and North and South Dakota: this isn't quite Minneapolis, but close enough for inspiration. It has a section on suitable plants and even one on those with interesting seed heads. It has been said that the truest measure of the skill of a gardener is how the garden looks in winter!

I'm sure that there are many other books, but these are some favorites.

A final note, with a white house you really need at least one birch tree. Find out which ones are recommended for your area.

Good luck.
    M D thanked yvonnecmartin
  • Diann
    11 år siden
    If it is in your budget replacing those small windows would be a great investment for this house. I agree with the designers above the black for this house doesn't seem appropriate. Funny even though yellow is supposed to be most sought after color, it is my least favorite in home colors beside blue. Your flowers are lovely, love the what looks like climatis vine . New front door , paint, windows and extending your lovely garden is all this house needs to get you off into feeling better about your house. You have a nice place here, its just a matter of tweaking a few things to get you to that completeness your striving for . Good luck it won't take but a few changes and your there.
    M D thanked Diann
  • ej610
    11 år siden
    HI emmaal. I agree with everyone on here and think your house is far from ugly. It has tons of potential, which is why you were attracted to it. I would suggest adding some craftsman touches to your home. This will give you a modern look and add charm. I would take off the colonial shutters and beef up the trim. If you're not going to replace the windows right away, I would suggest painting the bottom part a light color and use that color on the garage. Add large craftsman style lighting fixtures. I would get either silver or black so there will be contrast with the body color. A nice wood door with a large frosted panel will give you lots of light and a warm entrance. Although the house itself is very important, so is landscaping. Get a landscape designer to come up with a plan for you, and you can either have them do the work, or you can do it over time at your leisure and as your budget will allow. But a good plan is crucial! Best of luck! You have a wonderful home!
    M D thanked ej610
  • betsyweisberg
    11 år siden
    Formal French Kitchen PIedmont · Mere information

I would steer the remodel traditional. You have a beautiful home- good luck.
    M D thanked betsyweisberg
  • gailw176
    11 år siden
    I would go across the front not passed front window (new color on looks to be, glass door) with arbor entrance! And slightly around corner(driveway side of house, decorative pots with trees, on front at corners, large concrete stepping stones for floor
    Stepping stones smaller on side to driveway..makes a private foyer to front door almost....edging drive with same type stepping stones with grass coming up in-between...gives a nice edge to driveway plus expands driving space for folks that can't back out!
    M D thanked gailw176
  • PRO
    Durpetti Interiors
    11 år siden
    I agree with ej610, removing the shutters and embracing more of a craftsman look will work well. Adding interest to the front door by building a small covered porch with large cedar pillars in the craftsman style or increasing the size of the stoop with brick pavers and a curved sidewalk leading out towards the lower driveway will add tons of warmth and interest. The landscaping is not balanced. Buying evergreens in 3's for under the front window (stagger them like a triangle pointing out) and a tree toward the right end of the home (pulling the garden area away from the house and curving in outward) will help create balance and add softness to the current hard lines of the house. Best of luck, it is a great home, just needs some personality!
    M D thanked Durpetti Interiors
  • PRO
    Stanhope Design
    11 år siden
    This is a great house, I hope you will embrace its mid-century roots. If so my recommendations are:
    Remove the shutters taking a cue from ej610( who nailed it on color application) to enhance the original design attributes.
    Mid-century design was typically linear, so take the length of the living room windows to the same level as the bottom of the front door. Remove the high random shrubs in front of this grouping & replace them with shorter boxwoods or something comparable that can be trimmed to suit.
    Re-design the entry porch to compliment the style of the house. Consider revamping the steps with more length & depth then bring the level of the landing more even with the door threshold. Build up the sides into planter boxes.
    If budget allows, consider a partial entry overhang either cantilevered or you could opt for period decorative metal columns to sit on and to the front of the entry planter boxes. A great site to visit for visual aid on these columns is: www.retrorenovation.com.
    Replace the front door with a fabulous multi-windowed mid-century type and don't be shy about the color. Another great site for browsing applications is: www.crestviewdoor.com. Check out some of the renovations on their site, they've done some nice work.
    Since you are replacing the roof anyway, I would go more gray as opposed to the 1970's white. It would add a warm cap to the structure instead of taking over visually.
    I would also consider a front yard birch grouping that could be planted off center to the floor length windows. Use up-lighting to emphasize the planting.
    Also remember the details...like..fabulous period lock sets (www.rejuvination.com) porch lighting, number sets, even wall mounted mail boxes....it's all in the details.

Good luck!
    M D thanked Stanhope Design
  • Susan Liu
    11 år siden
    this house has a lot of potential because of the window placement and the shape of the house. to start, your curb appeal should be upgraded. the grass can easily be cut straight and make the lawn look much sharper. also maybe put sprinklers in/fertilizer into the grass to make it more green. then i would personally take out all the plants in front of the house because they are cluttered. instead, get potted plants for a more elegant and purposeful look. finally, the windows are a GREAT idea, they will not only make the house look good but also let in more light into the interior.the screen door and the light have to go, the floodlight can be replaced by a more modern one. and the railing on the side of the house should be updated
    M D thanked Susan Liu
  • Susan Liu
    11 år siden
    this house has a lot of potential because of the window placement and the shape of the house. to start, your curb appeal should be upgraded. the grass can easily be cut straight and make the lawn look much sharper. also maybe put sprinklers in/fertilizer into the grass to make it more green. then i would personally take out all the plants in front of the house because they are cluttered. instead, get potted plants for a more elegant and purposeful look. finally, the windows are a GREAT idea, they will not only make the house look good but also let in more light into the interior.the screen door and the light have to go, the floodlight can be replaced by a more modern one. and the railing on the side of the house should be updated
    M D thanked Susan Liu
  • magarita
    11 år siden
    hi emmaal. i have some attachment here for you. hope you like it.
    M D thanked magarita
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 år siden
    The only comment I would add is I would research the year and the time period when the home was built. I think you will be surprised.
  • Sara Gribbon
    11 år siden
    Looks like you could replace the 2 sets of smaller windows with pairs of larger windows that would fill in the entire area currently occupied by smaller windows and "filler" panels. If the new windows filled the existing opening in the brick, echoed the geometry of the larger window unit to the right, I think it would look much more cohesive. I would not put a bay window in front, as the home has a Prairie school vibe going for it and bay windows would look wrong.
    New front door, perhaps with a reeded or textured glass, would work well too. Totally agree with seeking out a good a plan for reconfiguring the front plantings and entry steps. With a more substantial entry, using natural materials and a more dynamic set of plantings, incorporating smaller lovely trees in the lawn, this home could be a jewel.
    Try using wildlfe friendly native plants, they pay back in the birds and animals that will visit your yard.
    Warning against using a black asphalt roof: they heat up easily, have shorter shelf life and the color is hard to work with. Softer grey-browns are lovely. But may want to work with a color consultant on this, especially if you are planning to paint the exterior. You have a diamond in the rough, have fun with it.
    M D thanked Sara Gribbon
  • lefty47
    11 år siden
    HI -- Emmaal -- I knew when I asked you about the floor plan of your interior that you have the classic bungalow. I grew up in the very same type house and my own house today is the same floor plan. Only my front door is where your last front livingroom window is. Now you probably can open it up more inside but that depends on how it was built. You will have to have a contractor look to see if the wall that divides the kitchen from the livingroom and runs down the hall is a supporting wall .My house was built as an open shell and then the interior walls were add after so the only support system are the poles in the basement. So I could tear out the interior of my house and do an all new floor plan . Your"s might have the same contruction . Either way the contractor will be able to tell you how to remove the dividing wall so you can open up the two spaces. I think you could moderize the look of your house a bit if you want . For the windows on the bedrooms - center them and have them a little more narrow and longer , for the livingroom window , I think a full height box bay . If you are doing the full remodel of the front then you could move the entrance more the middle so you can have an entrance hall that goes into the kitchen, if that works better for your floor plan. Then a nice modern medium strong color for the main of the house and a trim color and then some dark shutters(?) and an accent color for the front door. When we did our house we moved the back door and stairs and moved the kitchen, so it is a more open floor plan now. When you work on the landscaping think about haveing a front walkway to your entrance. From your pictures , your house and yard are lovely.
    M D thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    Boye Architecture/boyehomeplans
    11 år siden
    Hi emmaal, attached is a concept sketch I came up with showing how you may redesign the front elevation to create a new curb appeal as well as create a new definable and cozy front entrance. I am suggesting breaking up the forms of the front elevations with gable and hip roofs with a French Country design. Materials could be stucco over stone base or brick over stone base. Just an idea. I trust this helps!
    M D thanked Boye Architecture/boyehomeplans
  • Patricia Haines
    11 år siden
    I, too, really like your house and it's refreshing to hear that you are satisfied with the size (a little sick of overbuilt homes). There are some great suggestions here but I'm coming from a purely "friend-dropping-over" point of view. Honestly, I don't know how to get to the entrance so you really need to think of creating a welcoming path to the door. Incorporate some borders (plants or hardscape) to make it prominent. I'd think about the proportions of the shutters to the windows to the door. I'd try to install a larger front door(painted something cheery), install a hidden screen so you can really see a beautiful door and develop a porch area for guests to stand or for a small chair to relax in and watch the world go by. Also, I agree the shutters aren't doing much for the overall appeal. Perhaps if they weren't black they'd have more appeal. Gray may not soften - it might just depress - unless it's silvery sage kind of gray. Couple that with contrasting shutters and you might have a quick fix.
    M D thanked Patricia Haines
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 år siden
    This is a great time period for architecture and this is a classic.'I would do'a'sma.l entry doorway area past the front window and go slow. The companies who service the area will have many materials locally available. It is a great way to meet people take a drive and see what others have done. I love the long straight structure. Enjoy your home you have huge support here.
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    11 år siden
    I agree with sugar beet, do not put bay windows in to replace the two smaller windows.
    M D thanked Chroma Design
  • lefty47
    11 år siden
    HI -- Just read some more of the comments and I agree to not having bays on the smaller windows , but a bay or box bay would look great on the living room window. And I am thinking your house was built in the early fifties, post war. I don't think a cottage style would be right for the house , but going a little more modern would be great.
    M D thanked lefty47
  • Barbara Carithers
    11 år siden
    Hi, I am so glad I found your posting. I have been working on ideas for your house for a coulple of weeks off and on. I have done several versions. I live in Michigan and that is a similar house to many here. The better drawings are in the same color with changes in windows and doors. I will include my simplier color schemes just for ideas. Most of the paint companies have exterior color scheme booklets. Drive around your area and make note of what you like. I have a favorite house in our area that has very subtle color changes. The window trim is only one or two steps lighter or darker than the body color. It is quite elegant. the color way above is nice too.
    M D thanked Barbara Carithers
  • Barbara Carithers
    11 år siden
    In house version 4, I have put a single pane storm door on and restored the bedroom windows to their original size. I removed the planter box and did an elaborate landscape with palace purple huecheras - coral bells- hostas, Japanese forest grass (hakanolea ? grass) & a Japanese maple on the corner.
    In house version 5 I have a siplified garden theme, but I have replaced the front window with a 3 panel picture window. ( part of the Japanese maple got cut off.)
    In version 6 I have just repeated your bushes with a big arborvitea on the right side of your house and dotted the landscape with what looks like more barberry bushes (cranberry colored).
    In the last versions # 8 I gave you a couple of colorways to contemplate, with just simple bush suggestions.
    Have fun with your new house! I hope these give you some ideas to think about.
    M D thanked Barbara Carithers
  • M D
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I'm really sorry it has been 12 months since I've been on and able to thank you all properly. Unforeseen circumstances. I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions given to me and have taken careful notes. We have not done anything to our house in the last year, so still need to start. I really appreciate the time and effort you have provided me. Thank you very very much.
  • Maxine Roth
    10 år siden
    Your house is darling. Remove the storm door and hang a drop dead gorgeous wreath with over sizes red bow. Plant ivy and red flowers in window box, trim neatly where grass and driveway meet. Embrace it for its charm and you will quickly fall in love.
    M D thanked Maxine Roth
  • Maxine Roth
    10 år siden
    Ps - add smaller window box to the other two windows to balance out the other one.
    M D thanked Maxine Roth
  • Maxine Roth
    10 år siden
    Pss - add a white lattice archway to the left of the front door to elongate the house somewhat.
    M D thanked Maxine Roth
  • M D
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks Maxine for all the suggestions. I am appreciating it more each day, even though I haven't done anything to it yet!
  • pcmom1
    10 år siden
    Yes, cute house! I think adding a planter bed right where the driveway and street meet would add softness and dimension and set the tone. Mimic the plantings that you use around the front of the house. You could add a mailbox or light or small tree (crape myrtle, Japanese Maple, dogwood).
    M D thanked pcmom1
  • juniperjo
    10 år siden
    emmaal, i'm actually so glad you haven't done anything to this house, and glad you're starting to appreciate it more and not think of it as "ugly"!

please please PLEASE don't try to re-make this charming, original home into something it's not -- some of the renderings above just made me want to cry. it's a 1950s ranch house, which is not a bad thing! you can easily go more "cottage," "bungalow," or "modern" with this home with its current lines. a few minor updates will in my humble opinion go a long way toward refreshing the look of this charming, timeless home. just be consistent with whatever you decide to do. in other words, decide ahead of time if you want to make this home more of a "modern" ranch, more of a "craftsman" bungalow, more of a cottage, or whether you'd like to emphasize it's honest, humble 1950s ranch roots. can you tell what my preference would be? ;)

(as you have already noticed, there's something that just "feels good" about a lot of these modest 1950s houses. unfortunately not enough people appreciate this and try to turn their humble little houses into mansions, which is just... wrong.)

i want to echo stanhope home's recommendation that you check out the retrorenovation.com website (pam kueber, the blog host, is AWESOME), and also look into a crestview door (or authentic vintage 50s door -- try craig's list or eBay) for the front of your home. this house has true 1950s roots and they should be respected. i am currently looking for a home, and i see so many 1950s homes that have been butchered by their owners who are trying to "flip" the house and sell it for twice what they paid for it, it just makes me so sad, especially since so many of these houses were carefully tended for years and years by their original owners. gah!

i agree with those who recommended removing the black shutters you added. they were a good idea, but your home wasn't designed with shutters in mind, and there really isn't ROOM for shutters (as you found out with the corner window). even the "full-width" shutters you were able to install are too narrow for the windows they are framing -- shutters should generally be half the width of the window they are intended to cover, since their original purpose was in fact to protect your windows in a storm. (i attached a picture of my own house -- which my dad added shutters to in the 1970s -- which also aren't quite the right size for our windows! i will replace them... as soon as i can decide what style i want to replace them with!)

also, you are incredibly lucky to have "inherited" such great perennials! definitely gives you good bones to work with!!!

lastly, when you get around to replacing the roof, think long and hard about the color, especially if you are thinking of some day changing the color of the house itself. i would go with a medium-grey or a dark-brown roof, personally, but there are lots of other ways you could go (e.g., a red roof could be adorable if you want to keep the white siding and go more "cottage").
  • juniperjo
    10 år siden
    P.S. It is always always *always* a good idea to consult with an architect, especially if you are considering an addition off of the back of the house! Make sure you interview the architect first though, and make sure he's sympatico with what you're trying to do. Not all architects are created equal...
  • PRO
    Ananda Landscapes
    9 år siden
    First of all, you have a beautiful home emmaal, not ugly at all. Have you considered landscaping your front yard? Your front yard looks sloped from the picture and retaining walls work well for sloped spaces. Here's an image for inspiration!
  • Tarey Cullen
    8 år siden

wow! lots of comments since I left. I Have not read all, but many take same approach as I did. I wanted to show you- adding a larger front porch (for more outdoor space and larger entry on the outside. (Plus a great sunny seating area to enjoy the warmth of the fire pit or Sun (when you get some in MN ) . larger width steps up from the drive and Porch rails will redefine the front entrance look and also help separate the side entry from view. ( and the more spacious deck will create a comfortable feel

at the entry. )

Front door shown in deep red, full glass storm. lengthen shutters on bed rm windows and trim back bushes to get more finihed look. Option to paint out areas below windows in soft gray tone. Not sure about far right corner- do you have room for a shutter ? looks tight ??

T

• Cammie Owens
    8 år siden
    The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't find the front door. I guess it was a design in style at the time to put the front entrance at the corner or the house... Idk, but.... the solution depends on your budget. With structure as it is, I would do as others have suggested and paint the door a different color to emphasize it. I'd also place a walk way from the front door to the drive way that visitors can easily see. What's annoying to me is the back door in such close proximity it seems redundant. So I would personally want the emphasis OFF that back door when you drove up and visually separating them as much as possible.

Depending on your budget and I read you thought about replacing the big LR window.... I'd use that time to switch the door to the other side, placing it more central.... Extending your NEW window down to where the hole left by the door would be and hopefully you'll have the header you need there already. Some stucco patch and electric outlet rewire... then have the stucco painted.... butter cream? Heck if you're replacing the roof the sky's the limit on exterior color options.

Extend your sidewalk kinda lengthy may help give the visual illusion that the front and back doors aren't so close.

Add a gable roof extension over the front entry.

Build a deck/patio the width of the door and the large LR window. This helps create a front entrance AREA look where you can add seating. Beware of height of this as I think anything over 30" above ground requires a handrail.
  • PRO
    AAA Distributor, LLC
    7 år siden

Just a simple sketch. Now close your eyes and imagine this in full color.

• User
    7 år siden

Very old post

• M D
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Yes, but I still have only done minor changes. So thank you all for the advice!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.