waterlillimm

How to add some WOW to the exterior

waterlillimm
11 år siden
This is home we have bought and it desperately needs something to jazz it up. The house was owned previously to an older couple. Please give me some ideas what it needs to enhance the front.

(19) kommentarer

• Andrea Bashore
    11 år siden
    Some landscaping would make a big impact, also might want to think about painting the front door.
  • cindyhamlett
    11 år siden
    your garage doors being that light are taking over your house! It will be a nice house when you finish your curb appeal.
  • PRO
    Kala Construction Inc.
    11 år siden
    There are different ways to make your home more attractive, you may replace the siding or landscape your yard. While it might be impractical to redo your entire yard but mowing, pruning and weeding your yard will improve the appearance. Add perennial flowers for a touch of color.
  • PRO
    Lifestyleblinds
    11 år siden
    I love rendering in magnolia with black metal windows, black garage doors and a black front door
  • waterlillimm
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    We never realized that the white was taking over. Love the suggestions of painting them. Also we are planning on doing lots of landscaping, but it is another project we are needing suggestions for. Also what about shutters down each side of the windows and garage doors also in black? Do we need to match the roof tiles for paint color?
  • PRO
    Melaragno Design Company, LLC
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    I would suggest new garage doors as stated before, and change the porch columns to something more substantial. Oh yes, and add landscaping!
  • User
    11 år siden
    I definitely agree with making the porch columns more substantial. They look wimpy. I am sure you could find someone to create more substantial ones around the posts. Since your garage doors are the most dominant portion of the front of your house, you could consider looking at new ones to see if there are some that you like better. You can put garage door in the search engine on Houzz and a lot come up. Really depends on your budget. I also would consider driving through other neighborhoods to see if someone else has come upon a color combo that just you just really love. Because it really is about YOU! Everyone has such individual tastes. If you see it on a real house (with the color brick you have) then you will know before you do it that it will work for you.
    Cannot tell if the driveway is paved. A nice driveway improves the overall curb appeal too.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 år siden
    I think it is the two little windows in the garage doors that makes them look like a pair of eyes. Sometimes that section of the door can be snapped out and replaced. If that is the case, switch them for a solid panel and then paint. Black may be a bit over the top for your neighborhood, but do steer away from the white. Looks like you have a storm door, but with the great porch roof you can probably remove it and feature the actual front door of the home. The pencil columns give the impression that there is not enough heft there to support the huge roof - definitely beef them up. A paved drive will help. Again, steer clear of a white slab of concrete. Then landscape as per Dytecture's post.
  • zealart
    11 år siden
    Trees. The place lacks them badly. I'd invest in those first, as they take time to grow to at least a decent size. I don't think the house is the problem, but the lack of landscaping.
  • charliemycat
    11 år siden
    Look up "deflection" in discussions. You don't want to paint the garage doors black, or any dark color.
  • fife2
    11 år siden
    I so agree with everyone here - soften the garage doors and the little out-built to the right. Grey would be nice, a soft pure taupe? anything but white. layers and layers of different height landscape around the front porch, perhaps a lovely river birch at the end of the porch for some height interest and something definitely around the far right side where the house juts out. I would definitely connect this to the rest of the house front by using some natural stone creating a little walking path, and an area of base landscaping between the edge of the garage and behind a path area - to provide continuity.

Definitely go to your local AG center or call a nature center and find out some lovely indegenious plant materials - after this years drought and bad weather - lots of critters (butterflys; hummingbirds, and others are without FOOD sources) - blacked susans are always nice and finches LOVE them; most indegenious plants do NOT need constant attention. What about a lovely Trellis or framed lattice on the end of your porch with climbing hummingbird vine, or some beautiful climbing roses?

I honestly think your home is too small for shutters. Get a larger front porch light - to add interest, add landscape lighting in the beds around your home - for enhanced appeal.

I would defintiely add something like "carriage lights" to either side of the Garage doors, and add the same family of fixture to the little right side door area.

While it might no be utilized - I would definitely add some hardware to the front garage doors - to add something more of a carriage door look - This would enhance this area as well.

Would definitely consider getting rid of the little round bushes in the front : what about varigated grasses, landscape materials with different heights. A tree - like a crepe myrtle, somethingn with interesting bark? If that is a storage shed on the right - do not forget to treat it as well.

LARGE - twin bed sized porch swing - can use a twin sized futon for cushion - paint it bright yellow - or something fun? Add pillows in natural fabrics you can collect.

Light the tree base with outdoor lighting if you plant one at the end of the porch?

Looks to me, like you could have GREAT raised beds - for fresh veges? These can also be attractive - use natural forms for growing squash, green beans, tomatoes? Plant decorative cabbages? Have some shrub roses in various places? let us know
  • uhoh_busted
    11 år siden
    When we moved into our new home, we started visiting local parks and gardens...well, specifically, Duke Gardens which is nearby and lets us see what does well in this climate. There may be somewhere similar in your area. Then we started checking out landscape centers to see what the bushes and trees we liked would cost. We needed something large -- not something that was going to take 20 years to get to the size we needed, but something big enough to make an impact. For example, a 12 ft tree, not a 3 ft sapling. Look for a pretty silver maple, or a red split-leaf maple, or consider a cluster of 3 spruce. Not knowing where you are, it is hard to recommend specifically. Being in the South, we picked a magnolia, but there are some lovely hollies that would have worked, too. Consider it like a piece of furniture...you may need to spend $500 - $1500. A good landscaper can draw up a plan for you to follow, so you can build a beautiful yard over the course of several years. , and if you are buying an expensive tree, consider it is worth having them deliver and plant it for you.
  • fife2
    11 år siden
    Yes and there are 150 different type of Magnolias! Want about that? Eecks. We still do NOT know where she lives - A beautiful HUGE Magnolia would take up the space on the right lawn and if maintained would be fab. They might not have Magnolias there?

I am glad I found this again - was also thinking - what about adding a horizontal trellis (wood?) across the entire FRONT of the garage to break up this space? Growing a beautiful hummingbird vine, lovely rich jasmine - has foliage year round? It could have its base planted on the right side of the garage. Then the lovely carriage lights on either side underneath the Trellis for the garage? A beautiful RAMBLING rose, or a Lady Bankskia Rose - year round foliage? But that takes a warmer climate. I don't see any palms around in pots.

I just wanted to come back with the horizontal trellis idea for breaking up the garage front above the doors. We JUST did this to ours.
  • fife2
    11 år siden
    No - you do not need to match roof tiles for paint-colors. Especially since yours is so neutral. Go for what you want. Where IS your house?
  • waterlillimm
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    Outside of Ottawa, Ontario Canada. The second garage has about ten ft between it and the main house. There is approx. 2 acres. Driveway will be paved as soon as we move in. There is no screen door. It has a long windowed pane in the front door.( Reflective glass in it and front window) I will post another picture with a different angle.
  • Dan
    7 år siden

Full acrylic concrete render, landscaping/trees, exposed aggregate concrete driveway, new garage doors.

• sm m
    7 år siden
    You could extend the flower bed on the left and add a tree (dogwood) to anchor the house. A flower bed could also be added to the right side of the house for symmetry - make it wide enough to add a dogwood on that side as well and wrap the bed around to the side. Place trees far enough out so the branches aren't touching house/roof. Adding some trees to the yard would make a big difference (Serviceberry, Crabapple, Sweetbay Magnolia). You can buy some small trees from Arbor Day online at cheap prices. You can also buy a group of trees for wildlife on that website. I agree with making the post wider. Large planters on the porch would look pretty.
  • sm m
    7 år siden
    Also, the curtains on the window look too busy from the outside
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.