mari007

front curb appeal

mari007
11 år siden
Have lived here for 5 years and want to change the front, but do not know what direction to go..help!!

(17) kommentarer

• lefty47
    11 år siden
    HI -- What an interesting looking house . I like it . Is that horizontal stripe at the top an appilied finish or is it the done with the brick ? I think everything that is white now needs to be toned down with a creamy tan color . " Ranchwood " by Benjamin Moore might work .Then just add a pretty color on the front door ,something new and bright. This last week on Houzz there have been a few articals on color . There were lots of greens that I think would be real pretty for you. You could have the house number done in script put on the board over the garage door. I think that would look elegant You could also paint the facsia boards (roof edges) to the color of the roof like a dark grey or off black (charcoal). And then maybe upgrade and upsize the exterior light fixtures. Your lush landscaping is just beautiful .
  • ikwewe
    11 år siden
    What a beautiful classic place. I like all of lefty47's ideas. I want to add something to widen the look of the central window, but not shutters. I can't think what would look best but will keep thinking . I am sure someone will come up with a great idea.
  • PRO
    E2 Illumination Designs
    11 år siden
    I think you need something to soften the left facade. Depending on budget, I would come out with an arbor and small patio. If it isn't in the budget, change the landscape and add something vertical on both sides of the double window. Wonderful home though.
  • houssaon
    11 år siden
    I would invest in having the gorgeouse red tree moved to the left side of the house. It somewhat blocks the entryway. I like lefty47's ideas. You might want to do trellises on either side of the center window. But all in all you have a stately house to call home!
  • AMN
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    I wonder, @ikwewe, if mari007 planted some topiaries or tall, conical-shaped bushes on either side of that narrow window, if that would help that bump out feel more proportionate to the rest of the facade.

It's too bad the masonry accent near the window above the front entrance is cut off like that. It looks like some sort of wing pin you'd see on a pilot's jacket or something. Not the look mari007 is probably trying to achieve!

I tried incorporating a few things mentioned above plus a couple ideas of my own.

Adding a masonry wall to the left of the front bump out
    Wood garage door
    New trim color

A paver driveway and walk way would be gorgeous too!
    Sorry it's so small.
  • lefty47
    11 år siden
    HI -- Thanks everyone for your kind comments and now you got me thinking and I want to see what the rest of you think . On each side of the front window I was thinking an ornate concrete planter base with an ornate wrought iron trellis in black , like something you would see in Paris with climbing roses in red or pink . I think this stately house kind of looks like it could be in France . They could also add a decorative plinth molding to widen the window a little and then have the climbing roses on each side.
  • 2leftsocks
    11 år siden
    What a great looking home. Aside from planting some flowers, wouldn't change much. You've done a nice job. The taller green tree growing to the right of the french doors/windows could be a problem, eventually, if it continues to grow. I'd move it elsewhere while you can. To add further interest & balance to the tall expanse of brick, install one or a pair of trellises to the left &/or right the french doors? Then plant a climbing hydrangea or flowering vine? Would be in keeping with the home's original history & decor. (1920's-30's?) If you're ambitious & can afford it, instead - build a small walk out balcony & flank the doors with 2 large planters to match. Would enhance the facade very nicely. Agree with others re. the red Japanese maple, (?) it hides the home. But it still looks good. If you don't want to lose it, maybe just thin it out? Remove some branches so you can see the house a little more? I'd also consider replacing or painting the garage door. The white door is too much white - very glaring & detracts from the beauty of the main house. The entire garage looks like a late-added afterthought. I'd tie it to the rest of the home using the same golden brown color on the upper level, main. Or replace with a garage door with windows that match the muntins/glazing on the rest of the house. Last, some greenery planted to the right of the garage would help soften the boxy (but cute!) look of the home & balance the entire front yard. Possibly another evergreen for year round interest.
  • PRO
    eric n. malo, sustainable architecture
    11 år siden
    your home has wonderful proportions and balance. i think the left wing with the strong symmetry is fantastic and should not be fussed with. the garage is perhaps an addition to the original house, and it's proportions are not quite as elegant. compare the dimensions of the dormer window to those on the main house; it's a little squatter and doesn't have the same muntin pattern. however the house is very clean and classic overall, and this should be enhanced.

i suggest you paint (or preferably mortar wash) the whole house white to match the existing trim. i don't normally prefer to paint good brick, but i think in this case it will unify the whole house. it will emphasize the proportions and classic character of the house, while minimizing the garage since the door will blend with the house. i would also paint the front door gloss black, and consider removing the storm door.

another benefit of the white house is that it will create a clean backdrop for your nice landscaping. the various shades of green and textures of leaves will be more visible against the left wing, and the beautiful red tree (japanese maple?) will absolutely pop.

lastly, i'd consider a larger, dark metal light fixture for above the garage door. this will create an accent point and dress up the garage.

consider this house as a reference:

Traditional Exterior design by Los Angeles Architect Richard Manion Architecture Inc.

thank you,
    eric
  • Belle La Vue
    11 år siden
    I recommend a pair of tall narrowish bushes or trees to flank the large window on the left to cut up the expanse of brick. I also like the idea of a gararge with some window detail.
  • Elise
    11 år siden
    A swath of brightly, colored perennial flowers sweeping across the start of the entry walk (eliminates some lawn) and echoed in 2 matching urns on each side of the garage door.
    LOVELY LOW MAINTENANCE GARDENS · Mere information

Cottage Gardens · Mere information

Cottage Gardens · Mere information

Also consider attaching a wire trellis across the brick on each of the front window with a"twining", flowering vine that does not cling to the brick. There are so many to choose from, bougainvillea comes to mind.

Andrew Renn Design, Beautiful gardens of Melbourne Australia · Mere information

Exterior · Mere information

Landscape · Mere information
  • mari007
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thank you all for the ideas. I have considered changing out the garage door to a wood door. I also considered making the front window the formal front door and than making the porch a more casual entrance.. enlarging the doormer over garage or possibly even a curved dormer with copper roof.. lights on either side of the garage door, get rid of dental molding... painting white trim... was wondering if I could steer towards cottage of french country?
  • Elizabeth Bishop
    11 år siden
    Have you considered doubling the size of the dormer on the garage? It will add more living space, above the garage, and eliminate some of the black on the roof, and balance out the house. I like the idea of adding a substantial arbor or even better, add a sun room in white trim off to the left on the house; The house just drops off, and some sort of structure would give weight to that side of the house. Carriage doors could add interest as well. By adding a tall narrow arborvitae it would soften the corners of the house and give height. But, I think the evergreen you've planted in front may do the job as it gets bigger.
  • Elise
    11 år siden
    I like Elizabeth's comments. French country is already going on, work on the carriage doors and enlarging the dormer! Those add value to your house right away. The sunroom addition may have to wait awhile.
  • mccutcheon1
    11 år siden
    I think your interest in the door is on the money. Before major construction, however, either remove the storm door, which shaves down the door's visible surface, or paint the door and storm door the same color to give it more importance.
    Painting the trim a more retiring color will help the struggle between doorand window.
    How would it look if you remove the pediment and mimmic the striping on the windows above?
    Love Darzy's garage doors!
    The dormer's size is a bit small, but the one over one glass should also be swapped out to duplicate the number of panes in the other windows.
    Love the landscaping. Don't touch it!
  • mccutcheon1
    11 år siden
    Oh, and redo the front walk in brick, more support for the front door and classier too.
  • anitajoyce
    11 år siden
    Nice house. I would paint the garage door in a tan color. I love the landscaping and I would paint the door a plum or burgandy color like in the tree in the front.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.