adriannie911

What can I do in this space?

Adrianne D.
11 år siden
The column is driving me crazy! The space is about 15 x 12 but if I took out the column it could expand to 20 X 18. I am just not sure of how much it would cost to remove the column and whether it is neccessary of not.

Thanks in advance!

(97) kommentarer

• gumby6506
    11 år siden
    A pool table would fit nicely in that space and the column could be used to hang pool cues or a chalk cone....or how about using it as an exercise room? Treadmill or exercise bike and maybe a flat screen tv to hang on the wall? I like the column personally, adds character to the room.
  • dreamlaughalot
    11 år siden
    Floating room dividers that serve dual purpose with shelves and/or cabinets IKEA
  • dcostello82
    11 år siden
    I would go the way of the room divider by adding a pillar and making shelves for your boasting things for your guests to see.It will help with the beams and make a nice room divider. make the smaller room a salon with just a small settee or 2 small lounge chairs and a small tea table in the middle.
  • Diane Waterloo
    11 år siden
    Make the column larger and trim it out with upper and lower moldings for trim = can put a light coming off it for reading and a chair next to it - add a large round rug to incase the frame of the staircase to cement the room...
  • PRO
    Simpkins & Associates, Inc.
    11 år siden
    What is the size of your family? Who will be using this room on a regular basis?
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    11 år siden
    This was what I would do:
  • lechezz
    11 år siden
    You could expand the column which ever way would work and mount your t.v. on it, or as above add a recessed gas fireplace.... actually it might be overkill.... but you could do both... fireplace on one side... t.v. on the other????
  • PRO
    KHI Designs
    11 år siden
    Adrianne,

Here is a rough conceptual space plan. Very small, I hope you can read the text on the drawing. Feel free to question anything you would like clarified.

I actually made the existing column wider than it is now, but kept the same depth. The bar can stop at the closet or go all the way to the outside wall. When it is measured out exactly this will help decide that issue. If it goes to the closet only - you will be able to fit only 2 bar stools - if you take it to the outside wall, you can fit 3 stools. I hope this helps.

Use that purple couch! Awesome with the grey on the walls. Good job!

Karen
  • PRO
    KHI Designs
    11 år siden
    Too big a file - I'll try again!

Karen
  • LEYA Matalas
    11 år siden
    I highly doubt its anything BUT a structural support beam, in which case the removal is expensive- you'd have to use a steel beam.. Id go with the design solution.
  • PRO
    Simpkins & Associates, Inc.
    11 år siden
    I like KHI Designs solution very much with 2 or 3 edits. One of the chairs in the TV area appears to be in front of the door to the bathroom (I assume that is where the door leads based on the floorplan). The front room by the stairs is a traffic area and looks a tad crowded so would consider deleting one chair if this is drawn to scale. If the closet is not needed I would extend the bar under the stairs and use an armoire in the entry to take its place.
  • jillybeansisme
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    In a heartbeat I would make the den my new dining space. It would be lovely. I adore your staircase! It is beautiful. Are you a musical family? If so, I would make that area a music area with mini baby grand piano and other music equipment. If not, then I would probably put a game table and chairs in the area. I would trick out the column and make it sort of triangular with storage and a built-in comfy bench facing the game table area and some of the storage (like shelves and cabinet/wine rack space) on the other sides. I love plants (real or silk) and might incorporate plants and a columnar fish tank (even if just goldfish) in the curved stairway area -- it could still have a framed mirror to add dimension and light. If that is a closet door, I would replace the door with a "hidden room door". People will think it's a piece of furniture, but it opens like a door when you need to get into the closet! This way you incorporate the "door" as a piece of furniture. Then I would be putting my couch, loveseat, chairs and TV on the other side of the "triangular" column with the tv placed so it could be seen from the game table area. Now people can do a puzzle, homework, snacks etc. while in the "family room" and somebody can be lounging in the triangular seat area reading a book while everyone else is in the television area. If you're having a party you have a landing place for food! But I sure do love that stairwell!
  • PRO
    COCo
    11 år siden
    Lot of people on this one, I have only looked at the photos, but the room is still 20 x X with a column.
    So use the column as shown above, why would you remove it, people put columns in, If you dislike the color than cover it in marble the tree design is nice is onyz and would look great on a square column. well you would need two and make a seat on the top at 18 inches and a bookcase underneath. or expand it more and make it a small bar area for drinks, there are a ton of drawings up top, great space, embrace it.
  • PRO
    Interiors International
    11 år siden
    I think there is a huge advantage into having the dining room be in its own space. I would actually extend the column to make a wall big enough to take a mirror, and to enhance the separation between the dining room and the foyer. And yes, the curtains should be more formal and go full to the ground, and a pier table or console with a bit mre scale at the bottom of the stairs.
  • amature
    11 år siden
    Looks like a living room. (?) There are a lot of colors and components going on that distract from the beauty of the room = curving staircase and big windows. Blinds and patterned curtains - curtains really needed? and they feel like they are in the way of the bottom step and not going to the floor feels off. Can you just use the blinds for a simpler look? Colored walls and white ceiling seem to cut the room off at the stairs - paint ceiling a lighter shade of the walls to make it flow up.Ceiling fixture seems in the way visually of the stair's beauty - something flush which also might not bring the ceiling down. Small table by stairs is too small for the space. A grouping of pictures or a oval table? An inexpensive version could be plywood base with simple, tailored solid table cloth. Column - 2 ideas - curving staircase vs. square column seem to fight. Make it round and add another round one. Or keep the square and build a low bookcase , storage unit or wall between them and put the couch in front of that. If the column is in the wrong place to put two how about moving the one you have and putting the two spaced appropriately in the opening. That also directs the traffic from the stairs along the wall where the small table and door is. Agree with another person to paint the door the color of the wall. If you don't use that closet a lot put a slideable fabric wall hanging instead of the door. Also to simplify the look how about making the column one color rather than painting the trim white. Again the contrast seems to break up the room. Just read your idea of switching the f.r. and dining room - it looks like you have children (?) well do you really want to have their space (mess/toys) next to your adult space? Isn't it nice to have an adult space to go to for a break. If the family room feels too small do you have good storage, too may toys out to play with - try swapping them out periodically? To simplify the space it would also be nice to have the hat rack in the front hall rather than the living room space. And lastly to simplify - pictures, mirror seem small for the wall space they are on - group them? And if you need something to fill a big space use a piece of fabric , branches/twigs in a basket, collection of baskets, plates whatever makes you happy ...enjoy the process!
  • Adrianne D.
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thanks everyone! The house is 2250 sqft and we are a family of 4....we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. We are quicky growing out of the house but I think that we could stretch several more years out of it if we convert the dining room and 2nd foyer to more usable living space. I like the idea that this could even be done without moving the column!!

I am attaching some additional pictures of the current den (which will be the new dining room) and the kitchen space that it shares. I am also sending a picture of the exterior.

Thank you all so much!! I was very upset thatbthe sale of our house fell through. You guys are helping me to see that with a few changes, I will fall in love with my house all over again!
  • PRO
    Joe Howard Fine Cabinetry
    11 år siden
    Agreed that column is probably structural = however, you CAN replace with an exposed beam that would extend from one wall plate to another.... Please hire a licensed contractor to do this work - we have seen so many "flub" jobs that result in sagging of the upper story, cracked drywall, and more! Your city building code enforcement department can recommend licensed contractors if you don't know any - don't take word of mouth advice - there are lots and lots of unqualified people who call themselves contractors... In our area, replacing a column with a beam is something we have done many times. Exposed beams were not in vogue in the past, but they add character and charm... and can also serve as a visual division between spaces! When in doubt, a structural engineer is worth the money -
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 år siden
    Cool house, Adrianne! Thanks for the additional photos. I just had one thought on switching your den and dining. With young children, don't they play in the den while you are in the kitchen? When we moved into our house - an1890 Victorian - I changed the dining room (adjacent to the kitchen) INTO the den because I had young children. We still use it this way. Question: what is on the kitchen wall common to the dining room? Is that a kitchen table and chairs I see on that wall? Could you open that wall up at all? If you could, I think you might enjoy your switcheroo even more because you'd be able to see into the living area. I think that would make the house flow even better. In addition, it looks like you might be able to capture some of the light from the dining room windows (is the kitchen a bit dark?) If you switch the rooms now and then at some point want to switch them back, it would also make sense from a serving point for the dining room. Or, you could open it up and put your kitchen table in the current dining room. Could this even double as your game table? If you did what I recommended in my earlier post, you could make the one side of the low wall a banquette. Or, perhaps if this becomes a casual eating area you would want to make the low wall storage on that side. I would make the finished counter of the kitchen opening 42" above the floor - the optimum serving height. You could even make this a counter with stools, depending upon how casual you want it to be. Is this making sense? Basically, I think it makes your rooms even more interchangeable. Also, there are ways of creating the opening with shutters/doors, if you like the idea of being able to close it off. This would be a low-cost project (depending somewhat, of course, on how you finish it off) and I think might make a bigger difference in how you use your house even more than fixing the column will. Just an idea!
  • Adrianne D.
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    I would love to open up that space but I am not sure that I could. Between the kitchen and the current dining room is the AC return, a small powder room, and a pantry (all running next to each other in a 3x15ish space). I know that the main water line runs in that powder room, so I don't think I can remove it.

Right now we use the sunroom off of the dining room as a playroom. I was thinking that we could continue to use that as a place to contain the toys and the children (lol!) while hanging out in the den.. Since the kids hang with us in the kitchen while we are cooking anyway, I was thinking that an actual dining table would give them more space to sit and spread out (color, puzzle...homework eventually). The only "eating space" we have in our current kitchen and den is a small counter area with barstools and our ottoman. There is no kitchen table right now and the dining room seems too out of the way and impractical most days for us all to eat there.
  • PRO
    Sunil Chaha,Sr.Vastu & Fengshui Consultant.
    11 år siden
    well, there is no need of column in between.but before removing it you have to go with a strong downbeam in the roof, which can be covered by the down ceiling.moreover, the downbeam is necessay that there is possibility of pillar/colum's extensions at the first floor.but my dear friend, age of the unhidden pillars / columns has gone now.
  • ashantombi
    11 år siden
    Well, what fantastic views and ideasbut I would not fool around with structural things. Leave the column where it is. However, my penny in the pond is to agree with Mellony from London; cover the column with mirrors. I would add, however, for you to change the closet door to something less obvious, then place a large container with plants in the corner under the stairs. ( Move the small table somewhere else). You have a gorgeous window there, so change your seating to accommodate something like a reading corner. Put in a cd player for background music. And put a stunning ROUND throw on the floor - just to bind everything there together, but not to hide that beautiful wooden floor. See, hardly any costs!! Enjoy!
  • PRO
    Sunil Chaha,Sr.Vastu & Fengshui Consultant.
    11 år siden
    well thanks joe howrah for putting my views.our friend has to take the help of a qualified engineer, who will visit at the site and acess the width of the downbeam pliiar.best wishes.
  • amature
    11 år siden
    Since you have the children playing in the sun room then switching the den and the dining room looks like it might work. The drawing on the graph paper looks nice.. But can you really fit the furniture and a bar with stools? Would a solid wall and a couch there give you more seating for TV viewing? Maybe the TV on that solid wall so you don't see it so much and the couches along the kitchen wall and between the windows? Putting the two chairs in that space facing the windows might give a more open feeling. Having the sitting area by the staircase hugging the front window looks good because then the traffic flow goes around it from the front door and to and from the kitchen and not thru it. Best of luck. Most of us have had to deal with less than ideal homes and tried to make the best of them!
  • April Burrows
    11 år siden
    I see you already have so many great suggestions! I couldn't read them all. I am no interior decorator, but I love decorating. That being said, I would definitely put in a nice area rug, maybe something like this: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Chamberlain_Area_Rug/150/. I don't see the need in removing the column because it is a nice way to separate the dining area. Adding another column like one person said above and creating lighting or shelving between columns would be nice. You should move the love seat away from the column and add a chair or two. This could be an area for guests to socialize. You could add some art on the walls, and I also love the idea of a foyer table!
  • frasier4
    11 år siden
    I am sorry I kind of like it. But the color? Maybe either help it blend in by painting it the same as the other walls or maybe a really bold color like Burgandy. You could repurpose it as wine storage by having one side or both sides having racks up the side and store wine maybe if room have have a small "bar like" counter installed with spots for wine glasses. If the counter was long enough - or maybe use an antique console table- you could use it as part of a buffett for the dinning room
  • Renee Crosby
    11 år siden
    I think your original concerns (besides hating the column) is the square footage to gain. I don't think you can gain the square footage. So next step is deal with the column. I feel like the door is the key. Put an area rug there and a small table to the side to make that part an entry way with a mirror over the console table. Another idea would be to place a large floor mirror leaning on that wall next to the door as part of the entry. It is not part of the living room. So don't treat it as an interruption to the living area. Treat it separately. I think once you get past that- I think the living room arrangement will flow for you better. My suggestion for redesign is to remove from the living room everything after you make an entry way. Then start over. No drapery or anything. I think you'll find you will naturally recreate the space!
  • sharonaandlime
    11 år siden
    Paint column entirely white and maybe change base moulding to match its ceiling moulding. It may look a little better.
  • Mark Rousso
    11 år siden
    I just went through this -and my guess is it's most likely load-bearing. First, have a reputable and licensed structural engineer come out to look at it (this visit is approx $300-500). He'll need your blueprints, he'll take measurements and possibly put small holes in the drywall to see what he's dealing with. He'll then leave and do a ton of calculations based on his measurements and your property and explain your options (That portion was an additional $900). Usually the options are either steel or wood support that would reach along the entire room most likely, and depending how far the beam has to go will depend on whether you use a thinner steel beam or a much larger wood beam. Steel can be much thinner vs. an equally strong but much thicker piece of wood (I had room in my ceiling so they hid a $100 wood beam instead of the $1500 steel option). From there it's having your contractor deal with the permits and opening up the ceiling, installing whichever option you went with and closing everything up. This sounds like a lot of effort but it's really not ---and it's so worth it - I doubled my usable living room space and the whole thing cost me about $3,500 and took only a few weeks (only actually 2 days of physical labor - the real time is waiting for the contractor, the engineer's calculations, permits, stuff like that). Good luck!!!!!
  • swewer
    11 år siden
    Yes, put in a second column to balance it out. Then run a half height wall with molding to anchor the space. Try putting a faux ficus tree up next to the column to semi camouflage it. Dont be afraid to use a beautiful area rug when creating this living room space
  • heather888
    11 år siden
    Your column was put there for a reason - undoubtly for structural reasons, it will cost you big bucks to remove it and put in an I beam. I'd make a lovely reading area, big over stuffed chair with ottoman, side table and a large decortative lamp that reachs over to the chair for good light. I wouldn't change anything unless you don't mind spending unnesseccary money.
  • Keri
    11 år siden
    I would start by moving your sofa away from the column. It draws attention to it by backing it right up to it.
  • deb jo
    11 år siden
    Hello Adrianne, for all thats is worth I find the column really pretty and also find the idea of a faux one real good as well. But if you want to play around before committing to something permanent, you can try to make the column and the space itself more useful as a sitting place with a small bench or chaise lounge, depending on your style and budget. Also you can use sweethome3D for ideas and redecorating without actually moving any furniture. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 år siden
    Consider returning to the round column, painted to match your room and surrounding it with 360 degree seating. Move the dining to the den if it extends too far into the dining area. Alternately you could surround the column with a 360 buffet...round or square with storage beneath. Mirror or hang prints or plates on the column if you like..
  • PRO
    Silifi_Art_Bijoux
    11 år siden
    Paint it! Make stencils of designs that please you. Turn it into an art piece! Add texture and make into a sculpture. Could be very very funky and fun. Do you like totems?
  • bivanka
    11 år siden
    if u can;t get rid of it ,then it is best to seperate the room by having a long and hip heght cabinet.that way the column will dissapear.and use the front room ( with the stairway)as a living room with a t.v on the wall .that way the sofa should back the cabinet!! just an idea...
  • bivanka
    11 år siden
    and paint the column white and round it if u can!!!
  • Good Taste
    11 år siden
    You have a column, so you have two small rooms and not one big one. Deep breath... zen acceptance of pain and impermanence... in 100 years the column will be gone... and decorate the space as two different rooms, with different rugs and etc.
  • Good Taste
    11 år siden
    Others have posted in Houzz with this problem. I suggest you search the threads.
  • Connie Carbary
    11 år siden
    I would add a weighty round table in the curve of the stairs to draw the eye away from the Column. Put a bar set up as a flow into dining area. In the center of the room I would add 4 club chairs. A rug and a round large coffee table. Great meeting area for before dinner add a few floating chairs on the walls. Anchor walls opposite column with large art with lighting. Drawing your eye away from column.
  • Adrianne D.
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks everyone for the comments!!! Here are the results..... as always, suggestions are welcome!
  • nanainatl
    10 år siden
    Very nice job. The pole does not stand out at all. It may be a little dark sitting at the table. An electrician could probably fish a wire in the ceiling from the current fixture location to over the table where you could hang a fixture.
  • pjprather
    10 år siden
    If it is not weight bearing, take it out. It adds nothing to your lovely room. Will not be that difficult to remove. Make sure it is not a weight bearing column!
  • pjprather
    10 år siden
    Love the wood floors!
  • Kathy
    10 år siden
    I didn't read every comment so pardon me if I am repeating. I would put four club chairs around an ottoman for a conversation area. Beautiful home!
  • jwhitt1
    10 år siden
    Dance!
  • PRO
    karen l dodson inc
    7 år siden

quick fix install drapes from ceiling to floor

move the blue settee to the curve area or go on wayfair and buy an inexpensive curved settee and place where the square table is.

put in an area rug and add a round glass top table keeping it airy and put it in the center of the area rug

add a painting on the walls of the curved steps.

I am sure this would be less expensive than the removal of the structural pillar

good luck lovely house you have a lot to work with

• PRO
    karen l dodson inc
    7 år siden

and a chandelier with glass pieces

• Seajay Sparkles
    7 år siden
    Seriously? 94 posts with fantastic ideas and this is the result. Please get rid of two single Venetian blinds on window near beautiful staircase and replace with double woven wood Roman shade leaving drapes on either side.
  • Adrianne D.
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    These comments prompted a major reno. Here are the pics of the current space...
  • Seajay Sparkles
    7 år siden
    Adrianne: love the new space. Congratulations on a great new space.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.