cern01

How to buy kitchen appliances?

cern01
11 år siden
Do you buy them ALL as a "suite" or can you buy different brands of each (ie, Whirlpool fridge, kitchenaid range, etc...)? Also if anyone has ANY recommendations on brand that would be sooo helpful! It is overwhelming!

(13) kommentarer

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 år siden
    Personally I would go with the same brand of appliances across the line so it wouldn't be as over-whelming. Personally I would start with the fridge since it usually takes up the most amount of space and the bulkiest item a kitchen, then the stove, oven, microwave oven, and dishwasher. Others may have different priority list.
  • ccwatters
    11 år siden
    Not sure this will give you any more clarity, but I have a house and a cottage, have had some experience with different brands and can tell you my thoughts:

At home, I purchased my appliances 9 years ago. I have loved my Thermador Ovens, Wolf Cooktop, and Bosch dishwasher (quiet!). My GE refrigerator is ok, don't love it but don't hate it. GE microwave too.
    At my cottage (bought them all last year), I went with a lower price tag but still wanted decent appliances . I have actually been thrilled with my Bosch Range (gas), and went with another Bosch dishwasher. I even went with the same GE refrigerator (was affordable and 'ok'), and again, a GE microwave.
    My refrigerator at home is needing to be replaced (used for 9 years and by a family of 5) and I am considering the Kitchenaid as my friend loves hers and has had less issues with it than my GE (though her Kitchenaid wall oven/microwave was very problematic). That's why I am not a fan of going with all one brand....
    The brands don't have to match, but the finishes do.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 år siden
    I don't think they all have to match either. There are some products that just stand out in certain brands but no one brand has the top of everything. We like Kitchenaid ovens, but not wild about the dishwasher. For a gas cooktop, we love the Wolf. For a refrigerator, we like Kitchenaid and have used the Samsung successfully. For hoods, we like Best by Broan.

If you want to go with all in one brand, then hands down I would say Wolf/Subzero but use the Bosch dishwasher.
  • gumspring45
    11 år siden
    I just replaced 3 appliances. I bought a GE induction cooktop and love it! :-). I bought a Miele basic DW, an love that. I didn't want any bells and whistles, just good quality. I LOVE the silverware rack at top...3rd rack. Who knew it would work so well. And finally I bought an Electrolux Wave convection wall oven. Had to get 27" since that's the space I had. I like it too. I have a French door GE fridge that's about 3 years old. Would research that before I would buy it again. Love the French doors and double drawer freezer. Some people want all the handles to match. I don't really notice them in my kitchen. Enjoy the process! (Everything breaks..so, I try to be ready for disappointment that way)
  • gumspring45
    11 år siden
    Forgot to say I bought the wall oven on the web from a popular seller. Was a great experience and would do it again. Others were local purchases from independent vendor.
  • User
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    I have more than one brand. One thing I always insist on after many years is a GE dishwasher. They actually wash the dishes and are quiet. I have had two Kitchenaid dishwashers although it has now been awhile and you had to wash the dishes before you put them in. I also like my flattop range with separate oven in a wall. It is much easier to clean then a gas with all those things to take apart. I also love self cleaning ovens b/c they are such a mess to clean - not all ovens are self cleaning. And trash compactors are the best- our 1st one lasted over 20 yrs. If you have pets they cannot possibly get in them. I also just use heavy garbage bags in them instead of seeking out the special trash compacter bags. B/C you compact the garbage, you dont have to empty as often.

You can get some great deals on black Friday. My husband bought a French door stainless refrig on the internet from Lowes or HD last year then ran to the store to make sure it was as great as he thought-big savings.
  • olldcan
    11 år siden
    gumspring45, said it perfectly "(Everything breaks..so, I try to be ready for disappointment that way)" . My lovely Maytag $ 649.99 over the range microwave, handle broke. No problem right? just call the Maytag repair man....... No wonder the guys not busy, you cant just replace the handle and have to purchase a new front.... yes, not just the door with handle, for $525.00. Seriously, for $125. difference I'll by a new one instead of repair one thats 5 years old. I must say that a Kenmore Elite dishwasher is very quite, don't even know if it's running so I always open it up to find it's mid cycle :) arrrgg!!!!!
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    11 år siden
    if you're purchasing all new appliances I'd say make sure you're going with the same brand. You can check out companies like ABC Appliances, P.C. Richards, or even Sears to get a rate on a bundle deal. I'm sure Black Friday there will be good deals. Make sure to ask them about contractor prices.

As for brand, look at reviews on the models you're interested. There are so many options when it comes to features. Kitchenaide is a trusted brand. You should also consider buying something that's Energy Star Certified- those appliances often come with a rebate.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    11 år siden
    KWA nailed it. You get the best when you mix & match. There's no single company that's an absolute expert in every type of appliance.
  • feeny
    11 år siden
    We mixed and matched for the same reasons outlined above. No one company made the best in everything, plus there are sometimes other design concerns and configurations that make one company or product preferable to another. We went with a Wolf gas range, Broan SS range hood, Bosch panel ready dishwasher, and GE Monogram SS cabinet-depth french-door refrigerator. Love them all; no problems with any, but it has only been three years so not a good test of longevity and durability yet.

Good luck! For me the refrigerator was the hardest choice because I hated the thick handles on so many of them. Silly thing to obsess about, and yet it mattered to my sense of the design....
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    11 år siden
    A little note regarding Energy Star when it comes to range hoods. Can't speak about other types of appliances, but when it comes to kitchen ventilation, Energy Star is more of a negative than a positive. Here's why.

Don't consider the ES logo a deal-maker, or the lack of it a deal-breaker. It's a nice thing to have, but what a lot of people don't realize is that the ES process requires a re-certification if ANY part of the design changes, which makes it too much of a hassle for the type of companies that are constantly inventing new models & improving existing ones. Change a lightbulb for a more efficient one? Recertify. Update the electronic switch panel? Recertify. And so on...

For example, we have over 200 models of range hoods, and NONE of them are Energy Star certified. They're extremely energy-efficient, and can easily be ES certified, but we're updating them on a regular basis, and it's just not worth the bureaucracy.

Most other range hood manufacturers do the same. Take a look at these examples of searches from popular shopping websites. When it comes to range hoods, focusing on Energy Star cuts out the vast majority of the market... for absolutely no good reason.
  • olldcan
    11 år siden
    Thanks Futuro, that sure is an eye opener. Research and more homework before purchase.......
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.