benjules1

Window treatment dilemma

benjules1
9 år siden
You can see how close the large sliding glass doors are to the coffee table (behind the table is my sofa). Window treatments have me baffled. Tried curtains and looked heavy. Help pls!

(30) kommentarer

• PRO
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Expensive???
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 år siden
    IKEA has them
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Meant drapes and felt claustrophobic. Help
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 år siden
    You can get an approximate idea by typing in your sliding door measurements on this web site:
    http://www.selectblindscanada.ca/panel-track-blinds/1-sheerweave-premium-panel-track.html
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Vertical blinds (s shaped with texture) would be too outdated?
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 år siden
    Yes, i would not recommend vertical blinds to anyone.
  • PRO
    Two Blind Guys
    9 år siden
    Some sort of vertical blind is going to be your best bet. Check out Hunter Douglas Applause or Duette Honeycomb Shades. They are an accordion style shade that stacks nicely to one side.

http://www.twoblindguysstl.com/cellular-shades.html
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    i get it cabin girl. I'm on the fence. Don't want to spend thousands on window treatments but want it to look right and classy. I actually did the verticals for the kitchen sliding glass door but the header is flimsy looking so may have crown molding above instead. Does that sound ok?
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Would something like this work???
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 år siden
    Personally I'm a fan of bamboo roll-up blinds...but you have to like them to have them work for you.
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    You like the bamboo roll up on large sliding doors in the living room? The proximity from the sliding doors to the couch is pretty close so I don't want to have anything look heavy or closed in. Thank you so much for commenting! As you can all tell, this is new to me!
  • PRO
    Goosby Design
    9 år siden
    I have a few questions for you. What is the function of the window treatment for that room? Privacy? Glare control or to darken the room for TV? Insulation? Just to dress it up? Would the needs for that window change at night? Basically, how will you use the window treatment? With so many options out there, it would help to know what you are trying to achieve before making any suggestions. I notice you have a sheer there. Is that what is currently there and is too heavy for you?
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    You raised very good questions. As it is a townhouse, that is the standard window in the development and literally taking up most of the main wall facing out to visitors parking so privacy is a must, although I like them somewhat open during the day to let the sun come in and I like to look outdoors. That drape that you see is one that I tried but didn't like the way it looked at all. Not sure if it looked too flimsy and maybe as it was white, just wasn't the right color and the rod needed to be lowered bc the drapes looked too short. I have Benjamin Moore sailcloth paint on those walls in that room. On the tall, narrow side windows in that room are cellular blinds. The sliding glass windows are each 6 feet wide and 80 feet long. I want a classy look. I tried a different drape but looked too heavy. It's an open floor plan but where those sliding doors are, they are literally in your face as you're sitting on the couch. See my dilemma?
  • PRO
    Goosby Design
    9 år siden
    In that case, I would have to second the Panel track idea. They come in many fabrics, so you can pick one that blends in so that you don't feel so "closed in". Plus they are very slim so you will not add any bulk into the room. The vertical honeycomb will work too and they stack even smaller. Another alternative for those windows would be going with two roller shades or honeycomb shades mounted above the frame. Then you can have them up out of the way during the day and drop them down in the evening for privacy. For honeycomb, you can even do Top down bottom up for additional privacy. If you still need to, you can dress up the shades with stationary drapery side panels, like the ones that you were considering.
    benjules1 thanked Goosby Design
  • daylightca
    9 år siden
    Roller shades with a mesh fabric would by far take up the least amount of real estate. Darker colors provide a better view through them and reduce more glare. The lighter colors offer less of a view, but are better for reducing heat gain.
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Can you send a pic of the mesh blinds you think would work? I'm on a budget as well.
  • PRO
    Goosby Design
    9 år siden
    The roller shade (mesh) fabric is called a solar shade. That is the picture above with the sheer roller shades. This is a great option where privacy is not a concern, since you can see through the shade. If you can see out during the day, then you can see in when your lights are on at night. They come in different opacities from completely sheer 10- 14%, to barely sheer 1%. The 1% may work for you. Or just go with a regular semi opaque roller shade that functions the same but is not see through. It's probably best that you contact a local window treatment dealer and have them come out and give you consult so you can see the fabric options and how they relate to your paint and furniture. The roller and solar shades will probably be the most cost effective for you, aside from doing the vertical blinds.
    benjules1 thanked Goosby Design
  • buster57
    9 år siden
    I too am having a sliding glass door dilemma. Didn't see this post before I posted my own issue. I very much like the top up/bottom down thing. Do they require attachment to the floor? I also don't have a window design place & Home Depot hasn't a clue when I mentioned it to them last week.
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 år siden
    Hey there.

I have a few blog post that my help you out.

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

In this case this is what I suggest...Its affordable and high style..
  • smusec
    9 år siden
    Maybe if you bought longer curtains and took them to ceiling height it wouldn't feel so claustrophobic? Having the curtains just above window height would definitely give it a boxed in feeling. Do thy need to be functional for privacy and light control? Of so maybe the shades for that purpose no then fixed curtains for the decorative effect just on the sides.
  • PRO
    Goosby Design
    9 år siden
    buster57, the top down bottom up shades do not attached to the floor. The are only mounted at the headrail. Go on the Hunter Douglas site and then search for a dealer in your area. There is bound to be someone who does window treatments somewhere near you.
  • csales
    9 år siden
    Not sure what your budget is, but another idea is to change your sliding doors to the kind with built-in mini blinds INSIDE the glass. The blinds won't get in the way when you open the sliding door. See http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Doors-Double-Sliding-Patio-Door-with-Internal-Mini-Blinds-500004/204999725.
  • buster57
    9 år siden
    Thank you Goosby. I just tried Marburn & they don't have top down/bottom up. Hunter Douglas here I come!
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Your thoughts on my drapes? If I lower them an inch , would that be ok?
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sorry pic came out dark
  • benjules1
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    May be better pic
  • buster57
    9 år siden

Thank you Timothy Rivers Interiors. I just saw this comment. So far I am loving the $5 paper blinds I bought from Home Depot. I just need to make it work on the stationary part of the sliding door.

:)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.