buckleup2000

Yay or Nay? TVs in a backyard retreat

Luke Buckle
9 år siden
sidst ændret:9 år siden
When you want an escape from regular life and the mess of your household, an outdoor sitting area might mean you want to also escape from screen-based entertainment, but maybe you relax better with the TV on. Houzzer WobblyWendy does not agree. She posted on this story that TVs in backyard retreats are a no-no: https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/staycation-style-resort-style-backyard-retreats-stsetivw-vs~28368645

But who doesn't love a bit of Downton Abbey in the evening!

So is it a mistake to put a TV screen up in a space designated as a backyard retreat? Share your views in the comments below.

Outdoor Living Project · Mere information
Yay
Nay

(47) kommentarer

• helpingplan
    9 år siden
    I get outside to get away from the tv. Definitely no!
  • JR Smith
    9 år siden
    Definitely need one when the mates come over to watch the footy
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    9 år siden
    To watch a movie outside perhaps, but definitely not mainstream TV!
  • n247080
    9 år siden
    Typically one goes outside to get AWAY from the TV! Plus, if you have the TV going outside you're probably annoying the neighbors and the neighbors can see what you're watching.....do you really want that? And, doesn't this encourage theft from theives? Who wouldn't want to just take your TV and walk off with it while you're sleeping or at work?

Definite NO from me.
  • PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    9 år siden
    Moonlight cinema in my own very backyard? Yes please!
  • Sasha G.
    9 år siden
    I did vote nay, but @susannah makes a good point! I'd go with a projector and screen... to be brought out when the mood strikes, as a special treat.
  • PRO
    elsker design
    9 år siden
    Most definitely! We are putting one in our cabana when we build it this year. Great for watching cricket in the summer when the kids are in the pool!
  • pariscafe
    9 år siden
    My neighbours have a lovely set up with a TV in their back yard. When they first did up the area and installed the tv they used it a great deal now 2 years later it is seldom on not even for watching the cricket in the evening. I have a huge deck and did think of installing a TV on the side wall but the reality of sitting outside in the heat (Brisbane) did not appeal when there is air conditioning inside.
  • ladyrob1
    9 år siden
    A retreat is to do what one likes in. Hide the TV in an old cabinet. Use it when I please. Keep the better one in the house...also in an old cabinet rather than on display. Someone once asked me did I not watch TV...because it did not have prode of place. I showed her the cabinet...she didn't "get it".
  • PRO
    ATA & Consultants
    9 år siden
    Think outside the box here.......... you don't need to turn it on every time you are out side, and you are all missing the bigger picture, (no pun intended), BBQ, beers, footy & TV in the back yard. The MRS then, can kick me and my mates out of the house.

I am considering it.......thanks for the suggestion, footy season due to start soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stacey McMaster
    9 år siden
    A think a tv is a bit much, but i think a projector screen is perfect! It can be tucked away, and pulled out when friends come over for movie nights in the pool, or even on bean bags in the backyard.
  • olldroo
    9 år siden
    Nothing on TV worth watching INSIDE let alone outside. Definitely think of the neighbours too.
  • mkykzk
    9 år siden
    Yeah of course! We're putting a drop down projector in the alfresco area so we can play movies on the pool wall (2.1m white rendered brick wall). Each to their own!
  • fatmata2196
    9 år siden
    yeah if you want
  • Emmeline T
    8 år siden

Definitely gotta install a TV, great for watching the cricket....especially with the West Indies test coming up!! would be great to watch from outside:)

• User
    8 år siden

Yes, but respect the neighbours and keep the volume down.

• Jacinta O'Brien
    8 år siden
    Isn't that defeating the purpose of creating a retreat?
  • olldroo
    8 år siden

I guess it depends on what you are retreating from.

• User
    8 år siden

My mob usually play board games when outside on Summer evenings until the house cools to a more comfy level. A TV wouldn't go astray, better than listening to one alcoholic neighbour who parties for the whole Summer.

• PRO
    Helenscolour
    8 år siden
    Outdoor movie on a warm summer evening, yes, but agree, current calibre TV outside? No!
  • ladyrob1
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

@ Helenscolour..
    .what do you mean by 'current calibre TV'? Pardon my techological ineficciency! Outdoor movie? Summer evening? In the city? In a hot climate? I don't think I'd fancy that even with the appropriate callibre TV! The thought of it takes me back to the 1940's on Nauru Island sitting on sand in rows and rows of canvas chairs all smelling of mould and perspiration with mozzies and sand flies.....not really a retreat.

Now if you ask me about paintings I'd be able to comment on how you've used yours to good effect...would not have thought of that on the patio! I can paint up a storm but am hopeless at interior design, stuck with an old wooden house that cannot be described in terms of 3 beds, Dining, 2 cars etc....

Suppose when I go they'll sell it as the mad old artist lady's studio!
    Fun though. At least I can claim to have been influenced in how Ilive in my house by one of Australia's finest...my dear friend Margaret Olley...sadly missed! Just wish I had more wall space for paintings....mmmm...Sistine Chapel? Or maybe. a-la-Helenscolour... the outside walls of the house? You will have to tell me what paint you used!
    HA ! TV in the tree!

• PRO
    Helenscolour
    8 år siden
    Haha ladyrob1... I mean that I wouldn't want to contaminate the beautiful outdoors with regular TV...but a movie, not too loud as to upset the neighbours could be ok outdoors!
    Remember too the mozzies around the deck chairs!
    I'm not about to set up TV outdoors but can see how I would do it if I had the inclination!
    Thanks for the compliment on my outdoor wall painting. Its sealed Masonite, framed on to the wall, then painted in Acrylics.
    It was fun to do, and I'm sure you could do it too!
  • ladyrob1
    8 år siden

@ Helenscolour...OOOOH...diddums here's a bit dumb today.
    Did you seal the back of the masonite as well? Does is stand the weather?

• PRO
    Helenscolour
    8 år siden
    Yes with clear varnish. So far after 3 years it is fine. It's not in direct weather. I thought about sealing the front but wanted it matt so a matt varnish is probably way to go. A bit of fun and everyone comments on how effective it is around the chairs!
  • ladyrob1
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Me again...the painting is not in direct weather you say...so did you use oil based or water based varnish? Am interested because used to make my own boards from masonite and found that it had to be wet all over front and back and dried before being used because it would...'bow'? SP (if you know what I mean) Was in Cairns at the time. Could only seal the backs with white acrylic after that treatment. The priming on the font had to be done contemporaneously. If you forgot what coat you were up to before re-priming the back again you'd often get a bendy board. The climate was humid and quite unkind to many endeavours. Canvasses would go mouldy. One old fellow thought he'd found the solution = glue canvass to the masonite with Aquadhere wood glue. Seemed to be the answer for getting a stable board but a good while later mould came through from underneath the glued canvas and the painting got ruined. I later switched to ply and to a type of fine chipboard they were making up there that did not react so much with the humidity...(one wonders what they put it together with and if, when transported to other climactic conditions would it have succumbed.)..Oh well. Just have to paint for this climate these days, thankfully its dryer and can rely on what the archivists say about surfaces in this climate.
    Have you ever done a Fresco?

• Catie Jackson
    8 år siden
    We Australians spend approximately 80% of the year outside... We are blessed with an amazing climate... My family watches more TV/movies/sports etc outside than we do inside...
  • PRO
    SmartDigital
    8 år siden

our vote goes for the projector and screen. Than it turns from the regular TV-watching to a special treat, movies under the stars. It's like going to the community organised events, but so much better, cause you choose the movie and create the atmosphere to suit. create the most romantic night ever - in your own backyard

• PRO
    SmartDigital
    8 år siden

and yes, a photo!

Backyard Home Theatre · Mere information

• Vy
    8 år siden

nay..back yard is for enjoying company of friends or tranquility..no TVs..

• philippawright
    7 år siden

Stay inside if you want to watch TV.

If you must use technology outside use a laptop but you are probably better to leave that inside too.

• LesleyH
    7 år siden
    Do they use earphones? What about the poor neighbous.
  • Luke Buckle
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I love that this thread is still going. I am still puzzled by the question.

• olldroo
    7 år siden

????? You asked it Luke.

• User
    7 år siden

I think he meant the idea still puzzles him. Why would someone have a tv outside. (oh, lawd, I sound like spin doctor.)...lol

• olldroo
    7 år siden

Then again it might be 'doesn't everyone?".

• Swa Neee
    7 år siden

Would love to be able to sit in a 'real, pool and watch tv on those hot Brisbane summer nights.....

• bigreader
    7 år siden
    http://pin.it/p5qZPXr

If you have a tv outdoors you can do this.
  • olldroo
    7 år siden

LOL Bigreader - glad it is Nemo on the screen and not Jaws.

• Harriet Hall
    7 år siden

My favourite thing about backyard retreats is that you can take a break from the constant barrage of digital noise we are surrounded by everyday - a TV outside would detract from this. I think TV's definitely belong indoors!

• User
    7 år siden

Hehe, I just voted the opposite to chook ;). I guess I feel it should come with a lower volume than inside TVs, so as not to disturb neighbours.

• PRO
    elsker design
    7 år siden

thought more people would find it appealing! or maybe its just me with a sport-mad household and a small child :-)

• PRO
    Cozy Pool Care
    7 år siden

Good for entertaining outside

• PRO
    Atom Power Pty ltd
    7 år siden

Great idea.

• PRO
    Days Landscaping & Externals
    7 år siden

Free time from the kids programmes while enjoying the outside

• PRO
    Blueprint Images
    7 år siden

It's fantastic to have outdoor tv's for major Australian sporting events when you have people over. Usually there would be more room and it allows kids to play while the adults watch the event.

• PRO
    SmartDigital
    7 år siden

to Blueprint Images - can not agree more! Even better - if you have a really big screen - you can invite more firiends!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.