schmuttis

Need kitchen backsplash ideas.

schmuttis
9 år siden
sidst ændret:9 år siden
We recently installed all natural maple shaker cabinets in our kitchen which has an oak floor (to be refinished). We aren't sure what we want to do with the black-splash so we're asking for some input here. Originally we painted the back-splash area black to match the black galaxy granite countertop (black with bronze metallic flecks). We figured making a paint change was a lot cheaper than making a back-splash mistake. We received a few negative comments including one from our granite installer about it being too dark. So when I just painted all of the kitchen walls a light color I painted the back-splash area too. The pictures I'm posting are of the painted back-splashes so you can see the difference.

Looking at the pictures, we think we still prefer the darker back-splash since it gives more of a contrast. One thing we know is that we really don't want a "busy" back-splash. We want something simple and clean looking.

We found a bronze toned mirror mosaic tile that we think we like. The only question about this is that it looks quite different in different light. Other things we've seen that we like: black bead-board, black back-painted glass, antique mirror panels, antique glass, horizontal black boards, and one black matte finish that we can't figure out what it is. I was only able to post 4 pictures here so I'll add pictures of things we've seen that we think we like as comments. We are definitely open to other suggestions and would appreciate knowing what you think.

(51) kommentarer

• schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    Here are some more considerations: antique glass, black bead-board, horizontal black boards and we have no idea what the last picture shows. Any idea?
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    All three of these are black back-painted-glass. If we go with this for our back-splash, we would paint the glass. So what do you think? Do you like any of these or do you have another suggestion?
  • Lisa Williams
    9 år siden
    I really like the look of your kitchen with the lighter painted back splashes. I realize paint is not a good option for a back splash but I might choose a material that mimics that color. Even a painted glass in a taupe color? Something that doesn't try to compete with the natural beauty of your granite.
    schmuttis thanked Lisa Williams
  • Sheri
    9 år siden
    How about a black subway tile?
    Maple kitchen · Mere information
    schmuttis thanked Sheri
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sheri I hadn't considered subway tile because I always thought of it with white grout. It might not look so busy with black grout.
  • Sheri
    9 år siden
    I've been seeing it around here more lately and I think it looks slick. You can also consider stainless steel colored tiles to provide some monochromatic shine, but not quite as much as the mirrors. Good luck :)
    schmuttis thanked Sheri
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Stainless subway. Keep it simple.
    schmuttis thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Or something with bling to pick up on counters.
    schmuttis thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    The only thing we have stainless in the kitchen are the sinks and faucets. All appliances are black since we aren't fans of stainless. We had looked at gold tiles but that was just too much!
  • acm
    9 år siden
    Count me as another vote that the black paint looks terrible compared to the light. So I'd follow that by looking for relatively light tiles -- you could probably get a neat mix of glass types, if you want glam, or a simple tan, grey, or gold glass subway tiles would be nice. (and yes, a nonobvious color for grout) Otherwise, your mirrored mosaic has potential.

Serene Mother of Pearl Glossy & Matt Square Pattern Glass Mosaic Tiles, Sheet · Mere information

Zen Jura Gold Polished Random Bricks Marble & Glass Tiles, Sheet · Mere information

Gold Metallic Glass Tile · Mere information

12"x12" Hand Color Stone and Glass Tile Mosaic Backsplash, Set of 11 · Mere information

Zephyr Black & Beige Pinstrip Glossy Bricks Pattern Glass Mosaic Tiles, Sheet · Mere information

Light Travertine Glass Basket Mosaic · Mere information

Silver Gold Taupe Metallic Glass Tile Mix · Mere information

Tumbled Mesh-Mounted Slate Mosaic Tiles, California Gold · Mere information

Vibrations Glass Subway Tile, Carton · Mere information

Soho 2"x8" Subway Glass Tile, Carton · Mere information

Surf Subway Glass Tile · Mere information
    schmuttis thanked acm
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Here are better views of the entire kitchen.
  • PRO
    Goosby Design
    9 år siden
    What about black basalt? It's a natural stone and the colors vary between dark grey to black. It gives it more dimension rather than the flat black paint. It also comes in many sizes, from subway to the mosaic. Or a metallic glazed porcelain tile, which has a bronze tones to pull from the black granite.
    schmuttis thanked Goosby Design
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    Your kitchen design strikes me as modern, sleek and Zen.

If it were my kitchen, I would take Sheri's suggestion of the black subway tile. Nothing busy, as for me it would clutter your clean lines. I would not even care for the stainless subway. The counter has enough bling, and kitchen accessories with a punch of color will add enough. I keep my counters clean, but when I set out my Le Creuset roaster for serving, there is a punch of color (then clean and put away). Or a small vase of flowers, or dramatic art bowl (even stainless) of fruit--lemons, etc.

Do pay attention to grout color (black) and dimension (consider thin as possible, so likely no sand and should consider sealing), size of tile (I wouldn't consider mini-bricks) and keeping edges of tile clean (no "pillow" style). Lastly, take a piece of the granite with you when picking out the tile, as "black" tile can vary and you want it to match well and the finish to be appropriate (shiny vs matt vs satin). All those details do matter.
    schmuttis thanked jsilvester
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    Oooh, or the black basalt, if the variation in color can match the counters. I assume you have undercounter (LED) lights and consider how those lights will affect the backsplash.
  • ruthmand
    9 år siden
    The black is very dramatic and if you can live with having to keep it clean I would certainly go with the black. I love how the black paint above the cabinets sets them off. Check out black 4x12 tiles or even larger in the bathroom tile section. That type of tile often requires very small grout lines and would reduce the amount you need as well. Whatever you do insist on epoxy grout for easy maintenance.
    schmuttis thanked ruthmand
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Yes jsilvester we have recessed under-counter LED strips
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    BTW, we aren't keeping the paint. We were just using paint to help us decide what color back-splash we preferred.
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    For those of you that like the black, does it need to be shiny like the granite or can it be matte?
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    @ruthmand...the one word I was missing...dramatic...I agree.
  • dbh
    9 år siden
    I like the black-- much more dramatic. And if you want to stay away from anything "busy," I have no idea why you would even consider the mosaic glass. SO busy, in look, and then it will be reflecting everything under the sun, too. The best suggestion here is the one by Goosby Design-- the black basalt or metallic glazed porcelain-- either one, would look great. Stainless steel backsplash might look good, too. I personally would stay away from mosaic anything. That would look busy.
    schmuttis thanked dbh
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I should have also mentioned that we have a bricked fireplace. Plans are to remove the protruding mantel bricks and put a large mirror above the fireplace with decorative black fireplace tools hanging on either side of the fireplace. The french door will be painted the room color when the temperatures warm up outside.
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    I would test it under your lighting conditions, day & night, but I would lean towards "satin", which is not as dull as matt and not as shiny as high gloss.

BTW: love your granite and if it is "black Galaxy", don't let water sit for any length of time on the countertop, as the natural metal flecks can tarnish. I know they seal the counter, but it still has porosity. No big deal, just FYI.
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    Again, only me, but because you have so much light in the room, I would lean towards a large modern art piece above the fireplace rather than a reflective mirror. Something that would not compete with the fireplace or the kitchen, but would add color and compliment your overall design (simple, modern, clean and light because of the brick).
  • User
    9 år siden
    I love the first pictures (samples) you posted-the mosaic glass tiles and the antique glass panels. Both have that modern feel and they have both light and dark colors which tie in nicely with your granite and maple cabinets. Some have suggested subway tiles, and while I love subway tiles-used them in my own kitchen-I think your kitchen is the ideal space to do something more modern! Beautiful kitchen.
    schmuttis thanked User
  • PRO
    DirectBuy of Fort Worth
    9 år siden
    Daltile has some great mosaics that would look good on your backsplash. I think the jewel tide shimmer mosaic in black would really pop there.
    schmuttis thanked DirectBuy of Fort Worth
  • PRO
    thebuilderdepot
    9 år siden
    Hello,

Most people do not even consider it because of the cost, but because we import so much Nero Marquina marble we have our costs lower than most. Have you thought about Nero Marquina Marble Backsplash. We offer the largest collection of Nero/Black marble mosaics and tiles in North America and at great prices.

For example a 2x4" Nero Marquina Backsplash is $9.50 a square foot honed or polished: http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/blkh2x4mos.html

Or you could consider a Basketweave Backsplash in Nero with a Thassos white dot for $11.95 a square foot: http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/blkh1x2bsk.html

Or a great look a herringbone Nero Marquina Backsplash, available in 1x2" and 1x3" for $11.95 a square foot: http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/blkh1x3herrb.html

Our entire Nero collection can be found here: http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/black-marble.html
    schmuttis thanked thebuilderdepot
  • Chrisjana Acheson
    9 år siden
    I put in gray glass mosaic and love it
    schmuttis thanked Chrisjana Acheson
  • Chrisjana Acheson
    9 år siden
    sorry looking for finished photo
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    An aside for @Schmuttis: I noticed your cabinets stop just shy of the ceiling. Not sure if cabinet work is completed or a trim piece will be added at top to finish/enclose the gap (dust collector).

If not, consider adding simple straight trim in an ebony finish to tie in the look and enhance the dramatic look. Just a thought.
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @jsilvester we haven't finished everything in the kitchen yet. The top trim will just be a simple piece of flat maple. Like most homes, our ceiling isn't level so I doubt that an angled black trim would look decent. We have other things to finish yet too - floors to refinished, then the kick-space, art glass for the glass cabinet, floor molding, etc. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Now I need to get hubby to sit down with me and see what we'd like to explore. There are so many good suggestions here, I know we'll have problems narrowing it down. Thanks again.
  • dbh
    9 år siden
    Good luck. I just wanted to add here that I think your kitchen is really beautiful. I love those maple cabinets. So nice to see someone embrace beautiful natural wood cabinetry in the kitchen (rather than the ubiquitous white). Your kitchen shows how modern and sophisticated natural wood can be in a kitchen. When you choose the backsplash, do post again w/pictures.
    schmuttis thanked dbh
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @dianahb while searching for something totally unrelated just now, I came across this picture of a mirror mosaic back-splash. W-a-a-a-y too busy! You were right about that.
  • feeny
    9 år siden
    I have to admit I prefer lighter backslashes with the dark counters, but you should of course choose one that you love. Here are some photos of kitchens with maple cabinets (or other light woods), dark counters and a variety of different backsplashes--just so you can get a sense of what different styles look like against the black and maple.

Achtenberg Residence · Mere information

solid cherry cabinets, marble subway tile backsplash, stainless steel appliances · Mere information

Traditional Kitchen · Mere information

Contemporary Arts & Craft · Mere information

Culinary Craftsman · Mere information

Asian Inspired Kitchen · Mere information

Rhodes Architecture + Light · Mere information

Now and Then · Mere information

Bayview House · Mere information
    schmuttis thanked feeny
  • sfskies
    9 år siden
    First, I must say that your kitchen is beautiful with the elements that you have so far! My suggestions are partially based on my own biases (i.e., there is not such thing as too much natural light; tile mosaic is awful because of the grout lines and the fussiness of the design.).

With that out of the way, I like a backsplash that is as continuous as possible, especially with the clean lines in your new kitchen. I almost expect to see a Buddha in a tiny garden just outside your glass door.

I think pulling the gold color out of the countertop would be great, as long as it isn't bright and shiny. If you can't use a solid material, look for larger tiles and use thin grout lines. I like many of the color combinations suggested by acm, but for the fact that they are in mosaic form. (See personal bias above.) The copper suggested by City Cabinet Center in a larger size might also work, but remember that copper will develop a patina over time. Hammered nickel or solid zinc are both wonderful materials, but I wonder if they aren't a little too rough and a little too close to stainless steel which you don't like. If cost is no object, consider glass field tiles or back-painted glass. There are some wonderful porcelain tiles that are simple but look like concrete or metal or something else entirely. They are much less expensive than other options mentioned.

I also suggest that you paint the brick fireplace surround to pull together the whole kitchen/living area. And while you're at it, paint the remaining wall space the same color, perhaps a tint of whatever you choose for a backsplash or a tint of the gold flecks in your countertop.

That's my 2 cents. :-) Circular file if it doesn't fit with what you envision.
    schmuttis thanked sfskies
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    If you do consider painting the brick, you can use a sealer first that allows one to reverse the paint issue and restore the original brick. Extra step, but gives lots of options for yourself or someone else.
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @jsilvester we aren't considering painting the brick since it continues to the opposite side into the sunroom. We are going to put up a really big mirror or art work to hide a good bit of the brick.
  • jsilvester
    9 år siden
    @schmuttis - best wishes as you proceed on your gorgeous kitchen. As others mentioned, be sure to post finished photos!
  • User
    9 år siden
    Get a counter depth refrigerator. The one you've got is ruining the lines of the kitchen. Which, BTW, is really pretty.
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @adivra I'm kitchen poor as it is right now. The refrig will have to wait.
  • PRO
    thebuilderdepot
    9 år siden
    Another great option for any backsplash is Glass. We offer a large range of glass tiles and we have attempted to keep the price as simple as possible by not spending any money on marketing, just using word or mouth. Our Collection of Brilliant Glass Tiles are premium kiln fired 8mm glass tile (as I know the price may seem low, I thought I would mention that at just $9.95 a square foot and Free Shipping). Our glass Tiles are available as you can see pictured below, in 3x6", 4x8", 4x12" and 2x4".

Ocean Gray is one of the more popular colors and so is our Brilliant white. It is Brilliant white because it is made with a Virgin white glass which ensures it does not have it a green hint to it. Other suppliers skip this as the Virgin glass does add more cost, we have not passed this cost onto our customers and kept the white glass at the same price of $9.95SF.

Our collection of Glass are $9.95 a square foot and FREE SHIPPING: http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/glass.html (Prices valid thru July 2015).

We also offer a selection of matching trims. A 2x4" on a mesh makes for an easy installation and a great look.
    schmuttis thanked thebuilderdepot
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks for the many kind messages about our kitchen design. It was a lot of decisions to make and one always hopes they are making the correct ones.
  • schmuttis
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I just thought that perhaps you might like to see a few of the before pictures. The kitchen was always dark and we had to turn lights on all of the time to work. We're enjoying our new one so much more.
  • 51reno
    9 år siden
    Love the black; it adds drama to your kitchen. IMO the pale one looks blah. I've had a painted backsplash for years. When done in a quality semi-gloss it cleans up easily, and every 5 years or so, if it needs a touch-up, what can be easier than to re-paint?
    My suggestion: go back to the black. Save the money you would spend on tile to use on another part of your house, take a vacation, pay off debt...
    schmuttis thanked 51reno
  • Millie Dove
    9 år siden
    We also have natural maple cabinets. We replaced our counter with a Black and Tan quartz. I wanted a backsplash that would pull out the black, but I didn't want it too busy or too dark. We ended up getting 12" sheets of 2" square ivory glass tiles. Then we bought black and carmel tiles and randomly replaced 4 to 5 tiles in each 12" sheet. I think it gives us enough color and I love the way it reflects the light.
    schmuttis thanked Millie Dove
  • Andrea M.
    9 år siden
    Something a bit more unique perhaps? I'm loving metallics!
    http://houzz.com/photos/1087741
    schmuttis thanked Andrea M.
  • heartlander
    9 år siden

Schmuttis, that is one smokin' kitchen. Loooooove it. Please don't disrupt your Architectural Digest look by doing "ordinary" on your backsplash. Subway tiles....100% ordinary. Same with most glassy mosaics. Of all the suggestions above, Goosby Design's black basalt -in the very pattern shown- wins the prize. Black basalt is a very soft, understated black, and works beautifully with Black Galaxy. It would stay true to the spirit of the room's composition. Even if you decide to go with horizontal boards (which would also look very good in your room, and give you future flexibility), you could paint the boards black basalt in a matte finish (no shine needed; the granite has staked that claim :-). Again, great kitchen.

schmuttis thanked heartlander
  • seestheeagleaz
    9 år siden

gorgeous

schmuttis thanked seestheeagleaz
  • seestheeagleaz
    9 år siden

I think a medium shade of backsplash, somewhere between the light of the cabinets and the dark counters maybe a a 2 by 6 glass offset, Home Depot or Lowes has some nice choices

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.