dlosinger

Hardwood floors or laminate?

daybreak08
9 år siden

We will be building a new house this year and are deliberating on what type of floor we want. We currently have a (new) hardwood floor that has given us nothing but trouble - hence the decision. I know laminate is less expensive and easier to maintain - what am I not considering?

thank you!!

(5) kommentarer

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 år siden

what has been your trouble with HW?

• Tania Summers
    9 år siden

What's the issue with your wood floors. Have you considered engineered hardwood besides laminate?

• daybreak08
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

not sure they were installed properly - alot of space between boards. more than just summer/winter variance

I have considered engineered as well - we had some in our last house and had no problems

• PRO
    Advantage Developer & Constructor
    9 år siden
    You should go with the engineered floor. It gives the same look and quality as hardwood but it is more stable ( no deformations due to heat or cold) . However , it is mandatory to use professionals to install it , otherwise you can have big issues with it .
    daybreak08 thanked Advantage Developer & Constructor
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 år siden

Solid hardwood isn't always appropriate in some areas/homes. An engineered hardwood is an easier "fit" for many places in the USA. If you've had "nothing but trouble" with solid hardwood in your current home then several things have either "gone wrong" or the solid hardwood was an inappropriate material choice to begin with. Without knowing where you live now, nor where you are about to live (the new build) then it is very difficult to give advice on whether or not "hardwood" is a good option.

If you've had engineered before and did not have a problem then I would say that is the obvious choice for you. Laminate floors are a price advantaged option for low(er) end homes. If your home is mid-range or above, then you may want to keep up the investment and work with engineered hardwood.

I'm wondering if your current problems with your solid hardwood are due to your location more so than with the wood itself (of course a poorly installed solid hardwood can still have problems).

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.