merritts79

Custom shower vs. tub/shower combo

Sarah Merritt
9 år siden
We have a very small master bath. I think that we should make the most of our tiny space by getting rid of the tub and having a huge beautiful custom shower. My husband thinks it will hurt resale value down the road. Thoughts?

(27) kommentarer

• sandradclark
    9 år siden

If you have a tub in another bath, take out the tub and extend the size of the shower. Make it a steam shower & add heat to under the flooring.

• PRO
    Design Your Kitchen and Bath
    9 år siden

Like the other commenters said, I don't think it will hurt resale value if you have another tub in the house. Your bathroom doesn't look too small, it just seems like the tub takes up at least 4' of the bathroom width-wise, I'm guessing? If you take it out and do the shower, it will feel and look more spacious--even if you don't go out as far (from tip of tub to wall) with the shower.

• User
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

Personally, I like a tub. I just purchased a home with a small master, gutted it and put a tub in...many people wouldn't want to do a gut job, so I'd think about resale and stick with a tub.

Here was my solution (I think these things would work for you):

1. Free standing soaking tubs are the way to go in a small bath (they are the new trend); they take up far less space both physically and visually. The tub I purchased was only 68 Long x 31" wide with a floor mount faucet. I imagine this would save you at least 6-8" from your current tub width. Every inch counts in a small bath.

2. Go with a clear seamless glass shower enclosure. Again, your eye needs to travel all the way to the back wall for the illusion of space. You shower is small, so this shouldn't break the bank.

4. Consider using a very large tile 12x24 calming (light) color and extending it over the entire back wall (seamlessness gives the illusion of space). If that's not in the budget, match your wall paint color to your tile. AND, bring this same color to the ceiling. Painting the walls and ceiling the same light color will allow your eyes to continue traveling with no harsh stops.

5. Consider a wall mount toilet (it saves about 12 inches)

6. Consider moving your toilet paper holder back so that it's not in the line of sight from the doorway...this is a small detail, but again, it makes it more seamless. Same goes for towel holder...is there anywhere you can put it?

The bath below is larger than yours (it's not my bath), but notice how your eye travels all the way to the back wall with the frameless glass enclosure. Also note the same color on ceiling and walls matches tile. Opens up space.

Good luck!

Classic White and Gray Bathroom Renovation · Mere information

• User
    9 år siden

Oh, and in case I wasn't clear in my comment. I do think it hurts resale value. I don't want to soak in the same tub my kids soak in...it's just not restful for me. I looked at hundreds of homes and wouldn't purchase one where I couldn't fit a tub into the master.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    9 år siden

Steam Shower - Alexander Lake · Mere information

This steam shower would fit in the existing space. I get the tub thing but I don't see this detracting from resale. ( My opinion Only )

• sunburn
    9 år siden

Down the road? True, resale matters, but who is the house for? You or the new (few years from now) buyers? Life is too short to build a house for someone else at your expense. So if a larger, more useful shower is more fitting for your life, then that is what would probably make the most sense. I personally like to see a tub, but a too-small shower also hurts resale, and if the tub makes the shower too small-then it's a wash. A beautiful, functional shower can do as much for a resale as a gorgeous tub, IMO. Maybe more.

• Bethany
    9 år siden

I had a hideous green cultured marble corner jetted tub, and chose to remove it and just free up space for a tall dresser to help make up for a smaller than desired master closet. I left the shower the same size, but upgraded the finishes to travertine, etc. It sold to the first couple that looked at the house, with zero mention of no tub in the master. Do what is best for your family today, and as long as you make smart resale-appropriate choices on finishes you will be fine.

• Kelly Young
    9 år siden

I didn't buy a house because there wasn't a tub in the master...I NEED A TUB and I really don't care what the other bathrooms have...they can have a large sink with a hose but MY BATHROOM IN MY MASTER HAS TO HAVE A TUB...that's all

• blueocean66
    9 år siden

Personally, I hate free standing tubs, because they are a pain to clean. Seems to me you could update the shower doors so they are clear glass and seamless, and you would make the room appear larger + keep the functionality.

• pamcasual
    9 år siden

I know MANY people that have NEVER used the tub in their ensuite bathroom. Not once. We have 4 bathrooms and only the main bathroom has a tub and that works for me. As long as there is a tub in one of the bathrooms I'm fine. And that is probably the case for most people as most people use showers on a daily basis but like to have the occasional bath in a SOAKER tub. And of course, people with little kids will always want a bath tub in their house.

• ednasoto
    9 år siden

Resale down the road may depend on the market. Example: mature (65+) with difficulties getting in & out of tub vs. family with children.

• bunnit
    9 år siden

Removed large, soaking, whirlpool tub in master and traded it for large, luxury shower, separate vanities, enclosed WC, linen closet and separate his and hers closets. Who needs a tub?

• patconner
    9 år siden

We are building a home and actually took the tub out of the master bath in order to enlarge the space and conserve the budget. This is our retirement home. We are putting a very nice whirlpool tub in the guest bath. We think it is a good compromise and will maximize the space. So, obviously, I think eliminating the tub and enlarging your shower using glass surround in the master bath will be beautiful!

• PRO
    House Proud
    9 år siden

You only need to worry about the re-sale value if you are planning to move. For the time you are there, do what makes you happy, after all it is your house. If the next potential buyer has a small child and they don't feel comfortable bathing them in the shower they will install a tub. If the next potential buyer is anything like you they will love the shower. Do what you love!

• kgbtt
    9 år siden
    We have a gorgeous soaker tub that fully drains our hot water heater... Haven't used it since we put a hot tub in the backyard! One tub is enough in a house. Most people are in a hurry and would prefer a large shower over a tub for regular use.
  • Jeannie H
    9 år siden

I'm going through the same thing. I want shower only in the tiny master. I don't think the value would be any different considering that it is tiny. As long as there is another main bathroom for family use that has a tub. There are plenty of couples who just shower and go.

• Steven
    9 år siden

I think that you should keep both, but in your renovation I'd create a completely transparent shower glass enclosure to make the bathroom feel bigger.

• alyssacal0808
    9 år siden
    I think u should have a tub/shower combo!!
  • PRO
    HUGHES KITCHEN AND BATH COLLECTION
    9 år siden

We are seeing a huge trend to remove tubs from smaller master bathrooms like yours and really providing a luxurious shower experience. I agree with an earlier comment about adding steam, hand held and a rain head (not as your primary shower head). The heated tile floors is also a great idea. True no one wants to bathe in their kids bath but for the twice a year most homeowners say they actually get in it we think you are fine. (As long as one bathroom in the house has one.)

• saltcitybabe
    9 år siden

No one ever died or lived longer due to tub or no tub. Do what you like.

• PRO
    IPC Reno Crew.ca
    9 år siden

The trend is leaning to walk in showers and steam showers, let's face it we were all brought up showering, so if you are keeping the home go for it, keeping in mind resale to a family without a tub might create an issue yes

• User
    9 år siden

I like in SoCal. A master, in an average suburban home, without a tub but with a nice big shower is desireable. We have water issues on a regular basis and a tub is a water hog. Much nicer to have a great shower.

• robynd62
    9 år siden
    We just built a house last year. Left out the tub in the master and made a huge shower. We love it. We have one tub in a guest room. Not worried about resale at all
  • robynd62
    9 år siden
    And a pocket door makes a big difference too
  • Kivi
    9 år siden
    Turf the tub and build the shower you want. A tub that I wouldn't use and takes up space that could be a nice shower would devalue a property for me, so the devalue argument can be seen from two points of view. Renovate the space for you, not for some unknown future owner.
  • Daphne Woodman
    9 år siden
    As long as you have one tub in the house you should be fine. Not everyone likes baths. We took our enormous garden tub out (which was subbing for a clothes hamper) and doubled the size of our shower. We capped the water lines behind the wall, the next home owner could always put in a claw foot tub.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.