traditional.

We’ve struggled a little bit with the table area because
it’s relatively small and we’re a family of 5, so we need plenty of seating. We
had a larger table in here that we’ve relocated to our dining room because it
felt like we were always banging the chairs into the wall, tripping over the
chairs, or unable to access the pantry when someone was seated at the table. We
love this vintage table and feel like it fits the space better, but it’s still
tight. The table is 40” wide x 60” long and when it’s centered under the
current light, we only have 25” between the edge of the table and the wall.

We thought we might be able to save some space by placing
bench seating against the wall and chairs on the ends/other side of the table,
but we’re having trouble finding something we like and pulling it together. We
want to stay away from anything upholstered since we have three kids 6 and
under, but leather would be ok. I found this one from pier 1 and thought it
might work, depending on what the color really looks like.

We’ve been looking at black chairs to tie in with the
island, but I’m afraid it might feel too dark. I tend to like things a little
lighter and brighter. We both like the crate and barrel chair, but would need
to test it out because the reviews say it isn’t very comfortable.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to seat 5-6 comfortably in
this area???

We also need a new light fixture over the table. I like the
idea of a rectangular drum light, but we’ve used a drum light in our dining
room and foyer, so I’m afraid it might be a little boring. The other thing we
considered since the area is small is replacing the light over the table with
recessed light. Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your help!

(106) kommentarer

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    What about something like this?
    http://houzz.com/photos/4410254
  • tgb1
    9 år siden

I definitely prefer the beigey island that looks great with the backsplash - but I would do a lighter chair - get away from the black.

User thanked tgb1
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Scratch that. They look like they might be hard to clean.
  • Avery
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

Hi Laura, love the idea of using Eames chairs! One reason is that they are one of those classic, yet fun chairs that can go so many different directions. Perhaps if you're not sure which color, go with both or even mix more color(s) in (1-2 different colors if adding a banquette depending on the banquette fabric choice, but you can do more than 2 if no banquette IMO). Or you could just do something like a gray, even a red or light blue (I think there's a little bit of blue in your drapes?).

If I could do it all over again, I think I would have seriously considered the Eanes chair myself....again, such a classic, fun look and easy to clean (especially important for us moms, right?).

Linden Hills Contemporary · Mere information

Bay Area Remodel · Mere information

Jamaica Pond · Mere information

House in Dublin 4 · Mere information

User thanked Avery
  • elean13
    9 år siden
    I liked Igshores' suggestion of a green colour island. That would tie nicely with the wood tones in the room.

I believe that fabric chairs would do nicely especially if the fabric can easily be removed and washed in the washing machine. The idea of a green colour island led me to these Ikea chairs that I believe would add a colourful touch to the room.
    User thanked elean13
  • Alexandra
    9 år siden

I actually like your black island. I would go with lighter chairs and lighter, clean space in general in the breakfast table area. If you like grey, you can definitely do grey curtains with some sheen to them.

User thanked Alexandra
  • Avery
    9 år siden

Just to add, you may also want to wait until you decide what color fabric, etc. you want for a banquette before deciding on the color(s) of chairs. Maybe you'll want the chairs to blend or contrast with the banquette fabric.....or even pull a color out from the banquette fabric (if it's a pattern).

I also think you can do a more neutral fabric on the banquette, then add pops of color in with 1-2 throw pillow(s) and perhaps also with the chairs. :-)

Santa Monica, CA · Mere information

Kitchen remodelling in South Bristol · Mere information

Built in Kitchen Storage Benches - Williamsburg Renovation · Mere information

Contemporary Dining Room · Mere information

Nathan Cuttle Design · Mere information

• sandradclark
    9 år siden

Have you checked into a drop leaf or gate leg table?

• sandradclark
    9 år siden

Laura, I found the perfect chairs for you. They are extremely comfortable, simple lightweight Aluminum Café side chairs 2 for $218.00. You can see them in my Ideabook for Kitchen, chairs. Do a left click on my name, click My ideabooks, kitchen, chairs. So practical

User thanked sandradclark
  • peggylayman
    9 år siden
    Cream island and cream chairs and no rug.
    User thanked peggylayman
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Avery, Thanks for so many pics with the Eames chairs - they really are versatile! I would love for my house to look half as good as any of those!

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Sandraclark, We have considered a drop leaf table - every time I see one at an antique store, I tell my husband I want one - but we really like the table we have and would love to make it work if we can. And thanks for those chairs! I'm not crazy about the silver, but I think I've seen similar chairs in a variety of colors before. I'll take a look around for something similar. Good find!

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

I've been thinking about Avery's suggestion to figure out the banquette before committing to a chair and I think she's right.

We played around with the seating area a little last night. We added the leaf to the table, but at 22" inches it makes the table too long for the space. After a little experimenting, we decided that an extra 8-10" gives us enough room to seat 6 comfortably, so I think we're going to cut down one of the leaves to give us the right size table.

I also pulled in two benches from our porch to see how it would feel if we built in a long banquette along that wall, and as much as I love that idea, it felt pretty crowded. I think a free standing bench will work better and give us more versatility in the long run. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind (or be convinced otherwise). ;)

So if we're going to do something freestanding, do I go for a back or no back?

Pics to follow in a minute...

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    The chairs were in the dining room when we had the table there. We don't love them here because they're upholstered, but I think they give a good idea about how cream chairs would look.
  • Alexandra
    9 år siden

I think the bench style would depend on the chairs you will purchase. I really like the cream/white look that your dining room chairs are giving.

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks, azotova! It's like the chicken and the egg: What comes first? The bench or the chairs? We've made a few decorating mistakes lately, so I'm trying to come up with a plan before we make any more purchases. :)

I like how it looks with the cream chairs, too. My husband (who recently told me he hated those chairs) even said when he saw this: "You know, I think we could even use these chairs in here for a while." I couldn't believe it.

And here's our debate about the bench: he thinks we need something with a back for comfort. I think it might look to crowded. What do you think?
  • Alexandra
    9 år siden

Personally, I'm not that good planning everything out from scratch. I have a general idea what I am looking for and how I want each room to feel/look. Your original plan may find a bump along the road. Just take one step at a time.

If I were you, look for chairs you really like (style and color) and then search the Houzz photos to see what bench works with that style. Also, you may find that a bench won't even work with that style and may opt for two additional chairs or stools. For example, I am in the process of redoing my bedroom. I was stuck in terms of drapery/window treatments. I was getting a lot of great ideas from Houzzers, but I was getting more confused as people commented because the suggestions were very different from each person. So I searched photos of small bedrooms (which is my case) and focused on what window treatments were in the inspirational photos. It really helped me narrow down what step I needed to take next.

Another thing you can do is just buy two different types of benches and see how it looks. You can return one or both to the store if you don't like it.

• jh77
    9 år siden

Measure between the table legs on the sides. That will define how wide chairs can be. You will want a few extra inches between the legs beyond the width of two chairs to allow people (especially smaller kids) to pull the chairs in and out without bumping the table. I haven't read all the comments but I see a lot of mid-century modern type chairs, including shell chairs. Given the style of the table I think that is the way to go. Since your kids are small and the chairs may take a beating I'd look at Ikea and at some on-line mid-century reproduction chairs. Or look at contemporary chairs with thin metal legs. Don't try to match wood, it probably would not work. Lighter chairs will give some pop to the space. Armless chairs will make it easier to get in and out. In fact some of the midcentury chairs with a rotating base (chairs are on one pedestal and turn) might work because they don't have to be slid in and out to sit in them. Good luck.

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply!We're kind of the same way - we usually have a general idea of what we want and then adapt as we find things that work or don't work. I think we get held up sometimes because we're both pretty picky, so it ends up taking us forever to get things done (we've been working in our living room for over a year!). I can also be a little impulsive - especially with a paint brush - and that never works out well. But in the end, we usually end up pretty happy with the results.

I'm going to see if I can find something with a back that I can bring home. Good idea!
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thanks, jh77! Shell chairs are at the top of our list. Love them!
  • Alexandra
    9 år siden

Yeah, I am super picky and particular about some things too. I think the mid-century ideas are great, but doesn't seem like your style (I could be wrong). I really like the clean look of your contemporary dining room chairs in the kitchen. They break up the traditional look of the kitchen, without it being obvious.

I also have small children and I don't think you should opt out for furniture you are not totally in love with just because you have kids. Everything about my recent remodeling has been about functionality AND style. I actually got rid of a dark couch and replaced it with a beige one (totally against my initial instinct). However, my beige couch is managing to stay clean for some weird reason.

Another after thought, I personally have difficulty holding back from buying something that looks beautiful in store, but doesn't really go with my style or decorating plan. Just make sure that you at least have an idea in terms of color or style when you go shopping for furniture pieces and decorative pieces. Just because it is beautiful in store and is a great price, doesn't mean it is a good choice for you and your home. A "loose" game plan will guide you to a finished project.

• whirlwyn
    9 år siden
    Laura, to make more space, especially with kids 6 & under, think armless chairs, not benches or backless stools. I'm sure yours are well behaved, but a bench for 3 reminds me of my 4 kids under 6 in the car - even with seatbelts. Kids in armless chairs which may be a little narrower in the seat. Consider 2-4 chairs with arms for adults. Not all chairs at the table - 1 could be off to the side. Place your table where it fits and suits you - would it still be in vogue if you ran the electric cord (stylishly) to the new center? If not, an electrician or DIY can run it thru the ceiling to new location.
    Having to rearrange benches at every meal seems awkward....unless it's an assignment for the kids, lol. What fun for your family.
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    We have pretty eclectic taste. We're drawn to a lot of mid century stuff because of the clean lines, but we don't want our house to feel "mid-century," if that makes sense. We love craigslist and flea markets and have fun looking for treasures and then mixing them up with more traditional/transitional pieces (sometimes with more success than others - ha!). I think what you said about the clean lines of the dining chairs going with the mid century table and breaking up the traditional feel of the room without being obvious is exactly what we're going for. I'm toying with the idea of making slipcovers for the chairs so we could just throw them in the wash when they get dirty. Hmmmm....
  • PRO
    Pam Garcia
    9 år siden

I would go with an off white to tie the lighter island color and backsplash to the dining area as well as work with the more formal dining area close by. You can bring in pops of color on the large wall as some accessories in the kitchen to tie the two rooms together.

User thanked Pam Garcia
  • whirlwyn
    9 år siden
    Second thought abt the light....can you replace the current lamp with "track" lighting? Easier electrical and more updated?
    User thanked whirlwyn
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    And it makes me so happy to keep hearing from people with young/large families. Sometimes I feel like alone in wanting to make my house beautiful even though we have young kids. :)
  • peggylayman
    9 år siden
    I can see variety of art on the wall. Cream painted benches on each side (like what we had when I was in school) and a chair on each end. When grandparents come let them have the chairs. I'm in my 60s and I could manage a bench (set plate of food on table and then step over bench LOL). Maybe just paint the bench seat cream and bottoms stained painted legs. Check unpainted furniture then DYI. Just a thought. I have chairs that are cream and they really show wear and it's just the 2 of us.
    User thanked peggylayman
  • Alexandra
    9 år siden

By the way, I originally thought that your table either had to go or needed to be painted because it seemed too out of place in the kitchen. However, these chairs just make the table tie in the kitchen so well.

On another note, I did a quick search of eclectic kitchen and came across this photo. What do you think of this seat? Is it a bench...is it a chair...is it a loveseat....? lol Just to throw an idea out there.

Sweet and Sophisticated Girl's Room - Los Angeles, California · Mere information

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

I love that - for my daughter's room! :)

So if we keep the chairs, I'm back to looking at this bench from Pier 1:

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Here's a close us of the cream chairs:
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

I might need to invest in scotchguard. Lol.

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

By the way, we've been planning on four chairs with just a bench along the wall. Most of the time, I think we would probably only have one child on the bench and the rest of us would sit in the chairs. When we have company (grandparents!), we'd make the three kids squish together on the bench. ;)

• Alexandra
    9 år siden

The bench you posted above would add texture and interest without clogging up the space.
    It looks like it will go well.

Look at this photo. I know this is not the style of your kitchen, but I like the texture of a bench with a back. So I think you are on the right path.

Ravenscourt Road · Mere information

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Ooo. That is pretty!

I think we are pretty set on something with a back. We talked about it a bit last night, and we decided that the Pier 1 banquette is a little too formal/traditional for what we're looking for, so the search goes on.

My husband is a bit obsessed with Craigslist (in a good way) and was looking at benches last night. He found a really cool, Danish modern black leather bench that he really liked, so we were toying with the idea of staying dark. After some experimenting this morning, we've decided to stick with lightening things up.

We also played with a headboard to see how something with a back would look with light versus dark fabric. Pics to follow...

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Just to compare back vs. no back and light vs. dark. Assume the island is cream.
  • fivetoads
    9 år siden

The light chairs look very alive in this space :) I vote for the bench to be light also. (great idea using the headboard for a 'stand-in'). With a cream island, your space will come together for you in no time! I know you said you were taking down the curtains, will you add your own curtain with a print? I think it softens the area and is more inviting. I liked your previous idea of a kids art wall. To keep it uncluttered i would match all of the frames in black and change out the older pics for new ones as time goes on. I would also get new switch and plug-in plates that blend in with the wall better. Speaking of which, I love the paint color! This looks like a very nice home :)

User thanked fivetoads
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thanks, fivetoads! We love it here!

I like having curtains, too. I'm going to keep them down until we get the island painted and figure out the bench. If they work, I'll put them back. If not, I have some great ideas for using them in our youngest's room when she moves out of her crib, and I'll find something else for here.

The paint color in Benjamin Moore November Rain. We have it throughout the first floor and it seems to work well with a lot of different colors. :)

I love the idea of swapping out pictures from time to time.

I'm itching to get to work on the island!

• reich1
    9 år siden

Get colorful chairs from Cost Plus World Market and a crystal look rectangle chandelier with dripping crystals from Z Gallerie

User thanked reich1
  • Karen Blanchard
    9 år siden

James and James online

makes awesome farmhouse tables for 500.00

User thanked Karen Blanchard
  • PRO
    City Living Banquettes & Booths
    9 år siden

Why don't you put a banquette in your kitchen? It will create more space for more seating and look great. I am an Interior Designer at CityLiving Design. Banquettes are our specialty. Check out the website at citylivingdesign.

User thanked City Living Banquettes & Booths
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thanks for the suggestions! I love all of the different ideas!

We're hoping to keep our existing table and are definitely planning on a banquette for the wall. We'll check out your site, CityLiving Banquettes. Thanks!

• marilynellis
    9 år siden
    I like your very un jellyfish drum light!
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

LOL, marilynnellis! Now when I look at our existing kitchen light, I actually think it looks like a jellyfish. Or an octopus. Or something sad and droopy. I'm really looking forward to getting that out of here (mostly because it's falling apart).

And, thanks, I like our drum light, too. ;)

• julynovember
    9 år siden

Hello, I am noticing that your tile is beige, large island is black, floors are dark and your drapes appear to be a red print. I might try finding four chairs of beige colored wood and upholster them in the same shade of red. For your light fixture I would find something that is the same beige wood with black rod iron. There seems to be a lot to pull from just looking at the colors in the kitchen along with the existing drapes.

• dorothymooney
    9 år siden

Just a word of advice...it's really hard to get on and off of a bench/banquette unless your table is a pedestal. The four legs get in the way and you are always moving the table in and out. That said, I really like your first choice of the Pier 1 bench with the back.

User thanked dorothymooney
  • roysylvie
    9 år siden
    A nice steel black pendant would be nice !!!
    User thanked roysylvie
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 år siden

Saw this on a random site today and immediately reminded me of you kitchen colors and duxbury gray island!

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    How funny!! I think they even have the same granite as us!!

I have to confess, I went to the paint store and picked up some samples the other day - including Duxbury Gray. The other is Manchester Tan. (The kitchen is too messy at the moment for a wide shot.)

Thanks so much for the visual because we've been staring at these samples and honestly? They could both work. It just depends on the look we want.
  • User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thanks, dorothymooney! I've been a little worried about that. I'll have to give it some thought. Most of the time, my four year old son is the only one that sits back there and he doesn't seem to mind, but it might not be the best long term...

• User
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thanks, roysylvie! I've been eying the light in the picture. Is something like that what you had in mind?

19th Century Farmhouse Renovation; updated photos by Mick Hales · Mere information

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.