benjaminnel

Tower Room Ideas

benjaminnel
9 år siden
Hi,

The lounge in my flat has very high ceilings. Enough to build a mezzanine in. I am planning to build a small mezzanine to be used as a home office. I do not want to take away from the felling of space so was hoping to use materials such as glass or grated metal so you can still see through the floor. I also really like industrial design and was hoping to use some mechanical mechanism like designs from Tom Kundig. The current velux windows in the roof is also the smallest you can buy and I wanted to upgrade them to larger ones. Ideally I would like to be able to look out of them as there are very good views over the city of London. Any ideas, tips would be useful. I am also looking for interesting ideas on lighting and what to do with the ceiling. Many Thanks.

(19) kommentarer

• PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 år siden
    Perfect for a mezzanine. Glass balustrades gives the feeling of space, although I am not sure about grated metal for the floor - would give a strange feeling looking through. Have you thought about giving the upper space a tinge of colour - say light grey or light caramel?
  • benjaminnel
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Hi, yes I did think a bit of colour would help make the space a bit more personal. I was actually thinking about going quite dark to a black or dark grey perhaps if that wouldn't make it feel too small.
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 år siden
    Any dark colour would reduce the spacial height - I would suggest either a light/mid grey or a light/mid caramel. This can be complimented with cushions/ throws / pictures in the same hues.
  • PRO
    MAXLIGHT
    9 år siden
    What about an opaque walk-on glass ceiling, glass balustrade and staircase? Would keep the feeling of height, give you extra space but block none of your light! Totally agree with the wall colour's mentioned above too.
  • headers13
    9 år siden
    What a gorgeous space - very jealous
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 år siden
    A glass ceiling/floor?? Sorry but practical takes over - dust? continually cleaning, potentially dangerous, and certainly no privacy.
  • PRO
    MAXLIGHT
    9 år siden
    Hi Ensign, they are actually really safe, structurally reinforced, and frosted or patterned for privacy.
  • PRO
    MAXLIGHT
    9 år siden
    something like this glass floor which lets light through to the basement below.
  • minnie101
    9 år siden
    If you like industriał style you could combine a glass and steel floor, something like this from Horton design. I can't work out how big the lounge is though as you wouldn't want to overpower the space with too much steel
  • PRO
    MAXLIGHT
    9 år siden
    I agree - looks fab! You could even powder coat the steel to match the ceiling colour, so it feels less invasive.
  • minnie101
    9 år siden
    You could also paint the windows grey to build on the industriał. I can't find a pic strangely enough (or is that a bad sign?!) so I'm being brave and adding a pic of our basement. I personally think the windows make a huge difference.
  • benjaminnel
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Hi Guys, thanks for all the ideas. I am not too concerned about privacy as I just wanted to use the space as home office or something fun. I really like the industrial design with steel and glass. Also agree with windows being painted a dark grey it looks great. The best outcome for me would be to find a way to have view to the outside from the mezz. I guess options could be to create a window where there is a recess in the brickwork or create a mezz that is mechanical in some way and can move up and down allowing to reach a level where a sneaky view can be observed from an enlarged skylight. Or something else?
  • minnie101
    9 år siden
    Re bigger skylights, it's difficult to say without knowing the height from the floor of the mezzanine. Ignoring if there are any budgets constraints and whether it is structurally possible, it would be nice to have the side of the roof where the windows are as just a sheet of glass, although I'm not sure what could be done with the inside supporting beams. The recesses over the terrace would look also good with windows. I came across a couple of London based glass architects online the other day, it may be worth speaking to them if you want something special. I'm getting a bit carried away now and spending hundreds of thousands but a glass pyramid roof would be fantastic!!
  • benjaminnel
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I agree, a glass pyramid would be amazing! But I imagine too expensive :-(. If just one side could have one big panel it would be better. Currently all 4 sides has the smallest size you can get. With regards to sizing. I can stand on the "lip" and my head would just about reach the cross beams. The skylights are perhaps 50cm above that.
  • minnie101
    9 år siden
    It would and I can only find pics of subterranean ones so would be very unusual. I'm backtracking slightly. I think aesthetically from the exterior, it may be better to have either the windows in the recess or the single pane of glass rather than bigger skylights. Do you agree? Another option, is a glass window seat all the way across the recess, again over the terrace as presumably it would me be much easier re access for building. I found this the other day. It's from Platform 5 architects and I think it could look fantastic
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 år siden
    Before you start thinking about windows etc and changing the exterior of the building - if your flat is leasehold you will have no chance. We are going through the process of simply knocking two flats into one, and not changing the exterior at all - and the hoops we are having to go through with council and building regulations is ridiculous. Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but just something to consider.
  • benjaminnel
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I agree it would look fantastic but unfortunately the recess isn't quite tall enough to allow for a window seat. But I do like the idea of the window extending to the outside. This house looks very familiar, I think it's actually just a few minutes walk from me and was in Open House a while back. They did an amazing job.

Do you think a single pane of glass can be used in a roof? Are there any complexities to consider when putting glass in a roof? I think even if a single pane isn't possible and the current support structure could be used with glass filled in it would be great. (Ie glass between the cross beams?)
  • benjaminnel
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Hi Ensign

Yes, dealing with the management companies can be tough. Our aim is not to change the look of the building but through a better design make it more appropriate to today's needs. The case with my building for example is that it was converted in the early 90's to residential. Back then the location wasn't desirable. So at the time the developers choose the cheapest options possible. Silly design mistakes made and allot of shortcuts were taken. What was done in the early '90's should not in my opinion be seen as a way for things to stay. Today there are better materials etc available that can be used and ideas have grown. So let's try and explore if we can be creative and make something happen?
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.