jennifer_rencher

roof pitch question

Jennifer Rencher
9 år siden

Help! Our plans have been engineered and are all ready to go. We were just informed by our HOA that the roof pitch needs to be 9/12 minimum. In our plans, the main roof is 8/12, but the garage is 10/12. Will it be expensive to change the plans? I don't know anything about a roof pitch and so I was wondering if anyone out there could explain to me why it matters to my HOA that our roof is 10/12 instead of 9/12? Thank you!

(9) kommentarer

• Jennifer Rencher
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

oops- I meant why does it matter if the main roof is 8/12?

• Jeff H
    9 år siden
    Hi Jennifer

It is typical that the main roof and opposing roof lines be 2 degree difference. Reason is that the main section of the home is typically wider that the others opposite direction trusses so to get the ridge line close to same height you have the difference in pitch. To answer your question have you bid the project out, distributed the plans for bid? If not simply change the pitch to 10 & 12. Main house 10/9 and balance 12 pitch.
    Jennifer Rencher thanked Jeff H
  • Jeff H
    9 år siden
    HOA is enforcing the rules set buy the developer/ person whom sold the land. Conformity & keeping homes to a higher standard.
  • Judy Mishkin
    9 år siden

you really wouldnt want to have to own or sell a roof with a lower pitch than the neighbors. even tho your original 8/12 is no slouch, it wouldnt look as nice as the neighbors houses. the other bright side is you'll have more usable attic space as well.

Jennifer Rencher thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    CJ Evans Home Designs
    9 år siden

The homeowners association / developers have a baseline of architectural requirements that need to be met. This basically ensures the type of home being built in the neighbourhood is harmonious with other houses and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb! They generally specify minimum square footage, colour restrictions, minimum shingle requirements, etc., and can become quite stringent in some communities!

You should discuss the changes with your home designer. This is something that should have been researched beforehand!! There may be some design aspects that may be affected by changing the pitch of your roof... the higher the pitch, the lower the fascia line, typically speaking. This may impact your windows if they are close to the fascia line. Usually, a narrower roof overhang and/or a higher heel roof truss would solve that issue. You can also approach the truss supplier to make those changes, but you do run the risk of errors happening (as explained above) with just making a wholesale change.... the truss supplier will not likely look at any of these other issues (as it's not their responsibility!).

It shouldn't be too expensive of a change to have made... depending on the impact those changes will make. The engineering shouldn't be impacted by changing the roof pitch. Costs of construction would be marginally impacted... you will have slightly more roof sheathing and shingles /roof finish.

Jennifer Rencher thanked CJ Evans Home Designs
  • Jeff H
    9 år siden
    Changing 1-2* is not going to change anything but slight increase in material.
    Jennifer Rencher thanked Jeff H
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 år siden

Drive the HOA nuts and curve the roof.

• Jennifer Rencher
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

hahaha! Thanks Mark! I needed that!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.