nickibritton

My brick is ugly and I can't decide what color to paint the trim

nickibritton
9 år siden

Help please! My trim badly needs repair and painting, but I'm stuck on what colors to choose. Nothing looks good to me. What would you do?

Here's a view from the side. It's taken at night, but you can see the shape a little better.

And here you can see the colors more clearly.

(72) kommentarer

• garoth
    9 år siden
    I failed to say I would not paint the brick, just the wood features
  • PRO
    vkgm
    9 år siden

I love your brick, but there is brick stain if you don't . Try a lighter shade. Trim the shrubs and paint the trim with a slightly darker color.

nickibritton thanked vkgm
  • momcatvickie
    9 år siden

There is a lot going on with brick pattern, color, textures, roof and trim. The goal would be to unify these elements to enhance the Tudor look of your house. Choose a simple two-color scheme in warm greys or or browns. Begin to unify the architectural details by deleting the siding and make both peaks uniform with stucco. Paint or stain the brick and stucco the same color, then use a darker hue in the same color family for the trim. Trim around the windows and door can be painted the same color as the wooden trim. Finish with a deep red door if you choose greige or with a deep mulberry color if your choice for the house is warm medium toned browns. Unified color will calm the busy exterior. A good landscape will also help enhance the curb appeal of your home. Vines next to the front door might help with the gutter issue if you can't afford to replace or re route your current gutters, or consider a small flowering tree to the right of your front door. Good luck with your project. It has much potential!!!

nickibritton thanked momcatvickie
  • User
    9 år siden

1. If it's possible, remove the horizontal clapboard at the top of the two dormers.

2. Remove the tudor-like trim pieces on the dormers. There are not enough Tudor elements in your house to give it a cohesive sense.

3. Paint the trim around the doors and windows moss green.

4. Paint the gutter down spouts in a dark tan color to blend into the brick.

nickibritton thanked User
  • victorianbungalowranch
    9 år siden

See above for example with a dark roof, orangey brick and charcoal grey trim

You have a Norman Revival style of house, which is a subset of Tudor style, popular for a short period roughly 1930 - 1950, with most built right around 1940. I think yours might be toward the later end of the period because the doorway is flatter and not as detailed as the earlier versions.

White is far too stark for the brick, which has lovely color graduations. Embrace the brick and paint the trim a more suitable color. Unlike what most people think, white doesn't go with everything--it is far too stark and a more ivory to cream or even light brown would be much better. It looks like the stone surround was painted too, which is a big no-no. You could try to remove the paint (try 1912 Bungalow for tips) but it will be a big job.

I am wondering if the large arched window was replaced, and am wondering about the smaller flanking arched windows. The muntin pattern is very unusual for that sort of window. If they are wood, they might be original, and the horizontal muntins would put the date of the house to around 1950. If they are wood, you are in luck, because then they can be painted any color you want.

If the windows are wood, I would paint them either an ivory to cream color, or a dark brown/bronze color. Take a good picture of the brick that is accurate in color and bring that with you to the store. The right color will make that brick look so much better. I hope you have wood siding, so you can paint that too. Then pick out the half-timber detail. Brown is a possibility, but with the black roof, a more charcoal/French grey type color might be better. Pick a color maybe a shade or two darker than the mortar, a sort of stone, light brownish color, for the stone surround. I would even consider getting a sample shade lighter or darker, watering it down a bit, and wiping on, wiping off immediately to give it a bit of dimension that it originally had.

This is an all brick Tudoresque home from the 1930s/ See how much better cream trim and dark facia and window sash looks. The white window sash is too "colonial" for your house. Note the window on the left, it is similar to yours.

You have strong yellow/orange undertones, which are out of favor at the moment. Wait 10 or so years, and I bet they will come back, in reaction to the cool greys that are in favor now. But being "dated" isn't a reason to paint old brick on a classic house--it is in perfect condition and the herringbone detail in the gables is fantastic. A lot of that detail would be lost if you paint.

Picking something to go with what you have enhances home value in the long run. Don't fight it. Embrace what it is and pick a color to complement it. Go with colors with yellow or brown undertones, and avoid anything too bright or saturated. Maria Killiam (Colour Me Happy) is a good source for understanding paint colors and her e-books are on sale now to help narrow down the choices for you. Get samples to try out on posterboard before committing. and caulk those window frames and spot reglaze the putty.

Be sure to use paintable caulk. DAP glazing putty isn't the best, so go to the Craftsman Blog to look up how to fix wood windows and to order decent window putty.

You would be surprised how transformed the house would be if it was painted the right colors. And you will like the brick better. The brick suits the style of the house, which is very cute, but stately too.

This photo is from Valspar paints, Shown in: Spun Honey 2008-2B , Empire 6003-2B

You can even embrace the orange for a contemporary twist (green tones often work well with brick)-in this case the white works, but the house also has a much lighter roof color:

I know some say replace the siding, but I think it can work, especially since you have siding in the back. It might have originally had a dovecot style attic vent up there. Paint the siding the same color as the stucco or the fascia.

If you have vinyl windows in the front, you have to keep the sashes white, One way to visualize different color combinations is to print out the photo and just color in different parts to see what a difference it makes. Color pencils and crayons are good enough to just get an idea. Please do not paint out or remove the timbers.

nickibritton thanked victorianbungalowranch
  • Susan McKay
    9 år siden
    How about a light whitewash for the brick and paint trim medium taupe color. New and different. Cute house!
    nickibritton thanked Susan McKay
  • PRO
    Doctor Structure
    9 år siden

Painting brick is typically not the best idea. The brickwork itself is best off if it is able to breathe. If you used an appropriate masonry sealer this would slightly darken the brick and mute the busy color contrasts. It is possible to pigment the sealer though this should be done by someone competent and carefully tested for effect.

The trim work is the wrong color as has been pointed out by many commenters above but it is also amateur looking in terms of style and detail. The clapboard at the top looks completely out of place.

• julierehn
    9 år siden
    Could you paint the brick white and the trim brown or slate gray or black
  • palimpsest
    9 år siden

A number of the storybook tudors where I grew up had clapboard on the upper part of the gables although in that location wavy edged clapboard seemed to be what was preferred.

• sj73116
    9 år siden

Please do not paint the brick. It is wonderful! This is what a Tudor is suppose to look like! Just change the trim color and replace the siding with stucco like what was commented previously. Others had mentioned working on the landscaping. Instead of spending the money on painting the brick (that will create more maintenance for you long term) spend it on the landscaping. Your house has a great presence she just needs a little help to make her the best one in the neighborhood. Trees are very important in my opinion on the difference of the presence of a house. Is that a shrub or tree in the first picture? Can it be shaped so that the door can be seen just a bit better from the street?

• julierehn
    9 år siden
    Tudors are usually stucco.... So the brick is nice. Painted bricked would be nicer. The beams and trim are enough business. Would look better on a solid surface. The texture is the painted brick will be enough
  • PRO
    Doctor Structure
    9 år siden

http://www.appliedtechnologies.com/home/a-tech_masonry_brick_sealer_5_gallon_pail.html.
    Link is to a breathable sealer. It should be possible to pigment this
    sealer using water based aniline dyes. The effect would be to mute the
    color variation of the brick.

• ruthyshoes
    9 år siden

Your house and the brickwork look good to me. (Incidentally, 'Tudor' may be a recognised style, but to an outsider's eye, this looked more like a house from the 1920s or 30s that was nodding to the Arts and Crafts movement (which of course drew on Tudor and other centuries' old styles, but made them its own).) I hope you will feel encouraged to celebrate what you have... Please don't listen to those advising you to paint the brickwork, for goodness' sake!! That is work creation to the point of silliness. I thought the dark grey trim shown above looked smart, and have also seen sage green used to good effect with brick in the UK (but agreed with the recommendation to keep the window trim white). All the best!

• victorianbungalowranch
    9 år siden

It is a dressed up Minimal Traditional--small scale 1-1 1/2 boxy houses built 1930-1965 or so. Tudor and Colonial to various extents was the favored way to dress these up. The corner entrance is characteristic of the Norman variation, although usually with a round turret. Sometimes a small Tudor of this period is called Tudoreque, especially if rather plain and in clapboard, with just some Tudor elements in the entrance. Storybook Cottage is another name for small picturesque homes with Tudor elements, sometimes in a very exaggerated style, usually from the 1920s. English Cottage/Cotswold Cottage is similar, but usually in stucco and with simplified detailing and strong massing. Craftsman style homes do share some characteristics, but without wide roof eves, brackets or a front porch, it doesn't really fit that category and is from a later period. Craftsman finally died out around 1935, about the time this style came in.

Architectural classification is an inexact science and even experts will often disagree how to label a particular building, particularly hybrids. The more a house retains original details and has a documented history, the easier it is. Some styles take a long time to aquire a name, which is often different than what they were called at the time they were built. Transitional homes built in the mid-1800s and early 1900s can be particularly tricky. The late 40s-mid 50's was another transitional period.

• PRO
    Menke Inc.
    9 år siden

I like the color suggestions found on this blog. I think they could work with your brick as well.

http://www.younghouselove.com/2008/10/frans-color-conundrum/

• J Petempich
    9 år siden
    Palimpsest trim looks so good I wish this house was for sale. I guess that is why I ended up with three houses that I don't need or have time to take care of.
  • PRO
    Cale Brothers LLC
    9 år siden

If you hate the look of your Castic brick you can whitewash it and go with a darker trim color, like a dark grey. It gives the home a more contemporary feel without losing all the character.

• PRO
    Cale Brothers LLC
    9 år siden

I would also move that rain gutter on the left hand side all the way to the corner and paint it the color of the body of the house (whatever that ends up being), it's breaking up the lines of the house.

• A P
    9 år siden
    I seen a lot of whitewash brick homes in my area. I personally love it. something to consider because of the title of your post.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    9 år siden

If you leave the brick they I recommend you paint the trim a dark charcoal gray and the stucco portion in one of the peaks a lighter gray such as in victoranbungaloranches first posting. If you decide to white wash the brick then libradesigneyes "Cumberland Circle" taupey/gray wash and trim color image posted is a beautiful option. I think that brown trim on white stucco is a tired and outdated look for a Tudor styled house.

• ruthyshoes
    9 år siden

Just wondering whether the owner ever said that they 'hated' the brick, or whether this was the interpretation of the headline writer...? To me, it has such character.

• libradesigneye
    9 år siden

ruthy -- the owner wrote the headline - there are no "headline writers"

I love some brick but sadly I am totally with the original poster about it . . if you keep the brick, you can't just slap gray on a house with gold / plum /orange bricks. It is a distinctive brick and I can see why some people would love it . . but orange and gold tones need the right balance.

• elbeee
    9 år siden

Simple is always best. Picking out architectural features (or even downpipes!) seems to be instinctive, but it always makes houses look bitty. I would paint everything except the brick (roof, windows, all trim,) the same colour. Needs to have a warm base to go with the brick - pick out the darkest shade in the brick (probably a really smokey dark brown), muddy it a little and paint. Same applies if you decide to spend the money on painting the brick. Keep everything else one colour. Make your garden the star, with the lovely, substantial home as a background.

• A P
    9 år siden
    the trim in brick color (reddish brown) might look good
  • Gio Quinn
    9 år siden

The bricks look good as it is, I think the color of your trim is putting you off. May I suggest painting your trim a bluish-black color? Also, I wouldn't suggest repainting or changing the colors of the bricks, as usually the reddish-brown color is very much appealing.

Askå Möbler

• captainpj
    9 år siden

I agree with everyone who says don't paint the brick. It's the home's best architectural feature. I once owned an historic home with yellow brick that I didn't adore, but now it is very in style. I also once owned a regular red brick house that I lime washed using historically accurate lime wash which allows the brick to breathe, and wears off very beautifully over time. But that treatment would not look good on a Tudor house. Cutting back your shrubs and finding new paint colors to replace the white will make your home very special.

• PRO
    Mishi McCoy Interior Design
    9 år siden

As you have learned, everyone has an opinion. The key for you to remember is that the more people you ask, the more answers you get. IF you want to paint the brick, the fact that so many love it, really is not answering the question. You are the decision maker, and you are the one who should be comfortable with your answer. If you have been swayed to think the brick is now beautiful, fine. If you still think it's not, then go forward with what YOU want, and give yourself permission to do it without second guessing too much. Good luck.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 år siden

Are you a fan of Tudor looks? You could remove the typical Tudor trim, paint your brick and be done with it. The trim will be a perpetual maintenance chore, so that might solve a lot of issues down the road.

• palimpsest
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

As a professional though, I think there is nothing wrong with trying to make the original poster in any thread try to understand why it not be the best idea to "just do what you love, and it will be great". If I let my clients just do whatever they loved, #1, they wouldn't need me at all, and #2 they would end up with a mess, oftentimes.

The idea that many of the people who are responding are telling the OP to not paint the brick and backing it up with reasons that have to do with the architecture of the house is (or should be) valuable information in helping to make a design decision.

Before I went to design school I was already pretty familiar with historical architecture, but the more I learned, the more I grew to understand it, and the more I learned to accept some of the things that were handed to me when I bought an old house.

I made some missteps in my first place, which was in an 1840 Greek Revival house, because I didn't understand everything about Greek Revival at the time, and they've done some terrible things in the public areas of those houses, because the condo board didn't understand that the houses were Greek Revival at all, they thought they were later Victorian. I now live in a mid-century house and the architect who designed them had a rather strange aesthetic. But the two that have been significantly altered in some attempt to make them look less (brutalist, I guess, is what they are) have turned them into something hideous with more currently acceptable details. But the details don't have anything to do with the underlying house.

Anyway, you could do a number of the things suggested because you don't like the brick and a number of them would look perfectly okay, but they would be homogenizing the house from some form of Romantic Tudor-esque house into a more generic inter-war brick house. It would probably look fine, but it would be less interesting than it is now. But in a way, that seems to be what's popular now, making something look just like everything else--and I guess a lot of it looks good, but good in an impersonal, generic sort of way. We live in a time where universal appeal seems to be more important than individual charm.

• Louise Trimble
    9 år siden

I agree with Mashi. To accentuate the Tudor go off white on the bricks and espresso on the trim. Think of Jacob an stain as a similar color. They probably just used pine tar back then!

• Susan McKay
    9 år siden
    Bring it up, paint the brick!
  • partim
    9 år siden

Palimpset, I agree so much with what you said. When we hired a decorator, I had some ideas about what I liked and didn't like. My home exterior is a Tudor style too, and I was going to paint the stucco. She pointed out that the stucco itself had a faint shimmer which is classic in Tudor styles, and that it looked great in the direct sun and was not meant to be painted. I'd lived there for years and hadn't seen it! We had also planned to replace our oak harvest table and chairs, and she helped me to see that it didn't need to "match" our new kitchen woodwork, so we kept it.

Really, one of the most valuable things she did was to help me see my existing things with a new eye, and bring out their original beauty. I hope that people on Houzz can take a second look at things, like the brick on this house that doesn't look its best because of the trim color. Especially on Earth Day, let's be sure that we don't unnecessarily discard things that just need a new setting.

• nickibritton
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

UPDATE:

OP here. I feel extremely inspired by all of your helpful feedback!

Here's where we are:

• We've decided NOT to paint the brick, as many of you suggested. Instead we're going to double down on the colors we have -- play up the orange/rust/plum/putty rather than fight it. First, we're going to get it power washed to bring out the original color in the grout, which is putty-ish.
    • Rather than just slap some paint on the trim/windows/beams/etc., we're going to do it all right.
    • Our windows are original, except for a couple on the side. We're having them professionally restored where there's a bit of wood rot. The house was built in 1938, FYI.
    • We're going to keep the Tudor beams.
    • We've asked for a bid for replacing the white vinyl triangle-shaped siding in front with stucco or some other suitable material. Agree with all of you that the white is jarring and inappropriate for the period.
    • We've also asked for a bid to remove the white paint around the front door arch. The person we spoke with this morning says that it's so flaky that power washing may get rid of most of it. Underneath is a lovely stone.
    • We will paint the fascia/gutters/downspouts/etc. to blend -- not white!

So... after we get the bricks washed, we'll be able to better decide where to go with the colors. I'm very drawn to the warm suggestions above.

Thanks to you all! Keep it coming!

• partim
    9 år siden

As a fellow Tudor-dweller, I think you'll be very happy when you're done.

• makaloco
    9 år siden

Excellent decisions, and I'll look forward to seeing the outcome. With so much potential, I'm sure your lovely home will be gorgeous.

• sj73116
    9 år siden

Please post photos as the work progresses. I am very glad you have chosen to embrace the character. NOW is a great time to plant more trees if the budget permits.

• Kathleen K
    9 år siden

hardie plank makes a stucco looking siding which might be a good replacement for the the siding. I think going dark timbering will be great with the brick. I saw many real Tudors in Wales done with red brick and magpie trim- black timbers and white wash trim.

• PRO
    Carr Family @ Lake of the Woods
    9 år siden
    I'd hate to see you losing the integrity of the original home by painting the brick. I honestly think you'll be disappointed because you can never reverse it. Experiment with paint colors on the trim, but not the brick. Previous poster commented about the beautiful herringbone pattern, which will be totally lost if you paint it. It will become just another painted house and lose its wonderful charm.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    9 år siden

Sounds like you are getting a plan together. But be very careful power-washing brick, and stucco or any paintwork. Powerwashing can strip the fragile harder outer layer off, exposing the soft inner part of the masonry to the weather, causing spralling. The recommended PSI is under 1000. Old-fashioned hand scrubbing is considered the best approach. At least bricks of this period tended to be fired at higher temperatures than older bricks, so hold up better.

Powerwashing can also drive moisture into wood and other surfaces, and you need to wait at least a month, not just a day or two, for all that moisture to evaporate. Take care with the pressure settings and angle of washing. Use a moisture meter, preferably one that can measure beyond the first 1/4 inch, and make sure the moisture content is below 16% minimum--around 12% is better--to keep the paint from bubbling up and peeling later. Stucco ideally shouldn't be painted, but probably has been multiple times. Use vapor-permeable masonry paint for that.

Bob Yap's blog has an article about whole house paint stripping and painting that is helpful, and the National Park Service Preservation Briefs has a couple of good publications on masonry repair. It is also really important to match the existing mortar if you repoint, and to avoid using a mortar with too much Portland cement in it--which can crack old brick. Get a really good mason if you do--so many houses are damaged by bad repointing. And definitely don't use cement!

You could try Soy Gel to strip the stone and remove bits and pieces, or a heat gun. There is a masonry paint on/peel off cleaner advertised in Old House Journal that might be worth trying. You can get away with higher pressure cleaning than with the brick, but it could erode the masonry joints, and be sure to mask off adjoining areas, including the framing and door.

I'm glad you are restoring the original windows. You can save some money if you are willing to do the most time-consuming part--stripping the paint. Infared and steam paint removal methods are best--see The Craftsman Blog and John Leeke at Historic Homeworks for step-by-step advice. A heat gun can be used carefully, but you must keep the temp on the lower settings to avoid oxidizing the old paint, keep the head moving to avoid burning, and be very careful to not to overheat the glass, which will break. Pull scrapers can be very useful as well.

Be sure to ask for a traditional window putty--the elastomeric stuff is OK for a setting putty, but the exterior glazing should be boiled linseed oil based, such as Sarco Dual Glaze. Do not use DAP glazing putty. If you paint the window sashes in oil-based paint (Benjamin Moore), the putty will last indefinitely if brushed with boiled linseed oil every five years.

I would recommend exterior or interior storm windows. John Leeke has instructions for simple interior storm panels (he calls them air panels) that are basically wood frames with plastic film on both sides with the edges reinforced with clear packing tape and a foam or brush weatherstripping around the edges. In a pinch, spraying the windows with water and adding bubble wrap is an effective temporary measure that doubles the efficiency of glass itself. It looks not too bad actually, adds a bit of privacy and can be hidden behind curtains.

Bronze metal stripping is the best for old windows and doors (see The Craftsman Blog for DIY and where to order). Even if you don't strip the windows yourself, you will need to strip the jambs, so taking a look is worth it.

• PRO
    Linda
    9 år siden

Thanks to VBR for the tip on using bubble wrap as a temporary measure for single pane windows without storms. I've never heard that one before but I can see that might be very appropriate in certain places.

I am a believer in saving old windows whenever possible. Repairing what needs repair ends up with a better window than low end replacement windows. Sometimes I hear window salesmen talk about how they can sell replacement windows for only slightly more money than fixing the originals...maybe so but the product quality just isn't there. The low end replacement windows are just junk and won't last like a higher quality window. Fix the old windows right and you will get many, many more years of service.

• greenfish1234
    9 år siden
    So happy to hear you are keeping original windows. It breaks my heart to see beautiful homes with those horrible replacements, and you know some poor sucker got sold a bill of goods. http://www.oldhouseguy.com/windows/ great resource for anyone on the fence.
  • tbchic
    9 år siden

Personally I love the brick and think your home is beautiful. I agree with others paint the trim a shade of what is found in the brick.

• sj73116
    8 år siden

How about an update?

• nickibritton
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

We got an estimate for the work, including fixing our windows. My husband and I are going to talk it through this weekend, but we're looking to move forward. I'll post pictures when I choose paint!

• deborah_a_vandegrift
    8 år siden

I agree the brick is bad. Paint the brick a cream or light grey. A grey with black not yellow. Then I would go much darker of the brick color you choose. Painted brick is making older homes look new.

• Terri Henderson
    8 år siden

I love the brick and the house. It is similar to my house but my brick is more yellow. Is there stucco under the siding? My house is trimmed out in two shades of creamy yellow, with the stucco being the darker shade. Since you have some darker colors in your brick and more timbers, I like the idea of brown timbers or a color to match the darker bricks. I look forward to updates.

• sj73116
    8 år siden

Can we have an update and photos?

• Teena May
    8 år siden

Landscaping would g a looong way with this house. I would consider covering the two peaks entirely with clapboard siding painted out a grey blue and the front door in the same. When the time comes for a new roof, do something other than shingles. Too much roof there to be bland. The best of luck!

• Kristen S.
    7 år siden
    Do you have any photos? We are planning to paint our trim & want something fresher than the green/brown combination that is presently painted.
  • sj73116
    6 år siden

Can we see the finished results?????????????????

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.