cataan

Bringing the subfloor up to an inch

cataan
9 år siden

My bathroom subfloor is 1/2 (5/8?) inch plywood and for support I would like to increase it to an inch. My understanding is that:

1) the first layer of plywood is fastened to the joists but the second layer is fastened only to the first plywood layer - not the joists too - too allow for movement/expansion.

2) a very thin layer of thinset should be spread across the lower plywood layer to fill any voids between the two plywood layers.

3) and I have no understanding whether nails or screws are better for this purpose. Any knowledge on this?

I was going to use Ditra but have discovered Strata Mat which allows use of modified thinset mortar -- any opinions on these products? While 3/4 inch plywood is considered sufficient I wouldn't mind bumping to an inch or 1-1/8 inch.

(5) kommentarer

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

I posted some more info on installing Strata Mat on this blog post of mine.

INSTALLING SMALL MOSAIC TILE OVER STRATA MAT

Not sure why I thought I could use the Strata Mat with such a small tile but the repair I showcase works and is in line with what other uncoupling membrane supplier recommend for small tile installs over uncoupling membranes. In hind sight NobleSeal CIS would have been a better choice for that job.

But the photos show how well the coverage checks can be seen during install. You get a nice visual confirmation. many of the Strata mat showroom displays are poorly built. They do not show proper coverage. I don't know why but the one here in Burnaby is a joke.

Here is an install picture - this is my buddy's house.

This picture shows the process - I have yet to smooth out all the thin-set. If you see the faint dark spots on the mat those are where the thin-set from below is locking into the top section through the breathing tabs. I love this a lot. the mechanical connection (be it ever so slight) from bottom to top.

I have viewed effloresce lines in tile jobs before that appear to be on 3' centers. This could be from moisture migrating between seems of a waterproof membrane. This membrane allows even moisture migreation and better curing I think.

This advertising photo is like the sample I see here in Burnaby

If the product looks like this you are not really locking the thin-set 100% to the backer fleece. The bond is in this fleece and the reason why the Strata Mat is clear ish.

Here is another shot showing a larger bathroom and more Strata Mat.

Strata Mat is also a little wider than Ditra. This is an added bonus and allows for less seams. On the project shown below we used two kinds of Slate - both required modified thin-set for installation. So here the Strata Mat worked well again.

Below the Strata Mat on this job is a electric floor heating cable from Cosco. All the thin-set to install it needs to cure - here again those little relief cuts allow for even curing under the tile install.

• PRO
    @designREMODEL Baths, Kitchens & More
    9 år siden

Strata Mat is a great product. Much better then Ditra for ease of use. Really like that you can see how well it embeds into the thin-set and the vapor holes are key in insuring that the thin-set sets properly.

• User
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

Cataan , to answer your questions:

1. Correct . Screws from second layer do not penetrate into the joists. The 2nd layer sheets do not line up over the joists or the first layer either.

2. NO, do not place thinset or construction adhesive between the layers of plywood. You may use a FULL spread of wood glue l tite bond II, but it is difficult to accomplish, and I doubt you'll find many construction guys willing to pour and spread the glue with the proper trowel anyway. It'll take A LOT of glue too.

3. Screws are better, but more costly and take longer to install. They may also require a counter sink hole depending on the brand and type of screw you use.

What kind of tile are you thinking about using ?

• cataan
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thanks. 12x24 porcelain in a stacked/soldier pattern on top of strata-mat. No lipping allowed!

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    9 år siden

"No lipping allowed!" - LOL I was just going to call you a Bad Name.... or did you mean no Tile Lippage....

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.