pugmomma3

Should a 1915 Dutch Colonial have shutters or no shutters?

P O
9 år siden
Shutters or no shutters?
Shutters
NO shutters

(15) kommentarer

• User
    9 år siden

No shutters, change to panes or add pane grids to the windows.

• paulakopasz
    9 år siden

Agree 100% w/ Maltby Design; shutters have to be the right size!

• auntmoomoo
    9 år siden

The problem is that the windows are butted up to each other, which leaves no room for a shutter on each side. To be functional the shutters would have to be the same size as the window instead of half the size. That might look too big. The black shutters are just there to integrate the color of the roof. I wonder how it would look if the shutters were removed and the window trim was painted black.

• mara77
    9 år siden

I also agree with Maltby design. I live in a former Dutch colony (Suriname) and originally the houses have wooden shutters, the size of the window.

• pam h
    9 år siden

I say shutters. And unless you plan for them to function, scale (what is pleasing to the eye) is all you should worry about. The ones in the picture do look a smidgeon narrow, though I don't think they need to be wide enough to cover the windows.

• User
    9 år siden

auntmoomoo is exactly right.

• scarbowcow
    9 år siden

Those aren't shutters, they're... trim? ribbon? Way too narrow for the size of the windows.

• PRO
    KTLinteriors
    9 år siden

I agree that because of the double windows, the shutters look out of place/balance. To add interest without the shutters you might consider painting the front door (black or red is classic, or have fun with another bold color.) You could also consider black window boxes on the windows flanking the door (doesn't look like there is room for window boxes on second floor windows? But if there is, one might be cute beneath the center window) and if budget allows, new windows with panes and/or black trim.

• P O
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    The gutters on the side of my house also don't allow for shutters any larger. A shutter any larger would bump into the gutters running down the side of the house (leaders). If we remove the shutters altogether there will be holes in the siding and prob shadows since there were once shutters there. So what would make the most sense based on all that info?
  • Josh Sanders
    9 år siden

I say shutters, but it's also up to the owners preference. I took one of the images and did a quick photo shop of it; and it makes the house look almost creepy in a sense.

• PRO
    KTLinteriors
    9 år siden

I agree that just taking away the shutters does not work. The front door would have to be painted, new windows if possible with panes and possibly in black. Window boxes could be great too.

• PRO
    whitingmasses
    8 år siden

good

• pdk920
    8 år siden

Fake shutters are generally a mistake. But there were/are folding shutters which are functional and authentic. Or you can do more with the window trim itself.

• PRO
    Decorator Depot LLC
    7 år siden

I don't think shutters would be the best for this house.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.