madonna13

To paint the brick or not? I would LOVE to!

madonna13
9 år siden
sidst ændret:9 år siden

We have spent the last year updating the outside of the 60s house. I feel like if we paint it white the gable/stucco part above porch as well as too short windows on second floor will blend in more. Also, the door surround would blend in more. We love the inside and are growing to like the outside but it still stuck in the 60s. Ideally would like to paint brick a shade of white thats chalky without being too yellow or too stark white. Any suggestions ? and maybe do charcoal door and shutters. Thank you for any help and suggestions. truly appreciate it!

(39) kommentarer

• madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

ps. I know the shutters are off and terrible! they will be replaced when we finally make a decision.

• miacometlady
    9 år siden
    I've seen many homes and many kinds of brick on Houzz. Whatever updates you have made, if this is the result you should be proud. If you paint the brick you will remove what makes it unique and special amoung homes and those it resembles. Painting brick also implies future update and the expense that comes with a painted surface.
    madonna13 thanked miacometlady
  • miacometlady
    9 år siden
    Perhaps you could focus your efforts on adding white trim closer to the house I posted and perhaps the entrance...is there a footpath... Green lawn? I can't tell.
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

this is what is was right after we bought the house. It needed a major face lift. the columns were rotted and totally leaning. So we have sure come along way :)

• madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

and thank you so very much. IT would be truly lovely to have a pretty walkway up to our front door but we have a silly circular driveway instead that is my husbands one thing I can't change ;)

• madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

green lawn but black top driveway. it's a small city lot. any suggestions are always appreciated!

• miacometlady
    9 år siden
    Perhaps focus on a slate porch floor and a paved driveway. The money you will not be spending on painting brick this year and in future years should help you make a dent in these projects!
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

the porch floor is a big disappointment. its stamped concrete that from the top looks great but the front and sides is terrible. :( Great ideas though thank you! we will hopefully put in real bluestone on porch in the next year. the only concern I have with driveway is shoveling snow/snowblower on pavers. But seriously that is something we should definitely consider- thank you so much Mia.

• Katie B
    9 år siden

I love the look of painted brick but I think your current brick looks good. Sorry I'm not more help. Like your benches!

madonna13 thanked Katie B
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Byrd Residence · Mere information

obviously this house is incredible and so much more beautiful. But if I could emulate it by doing the all white I think it could be pretty. And thank you so much !

• miacometlady
    9 år siden
    Concrete stencil instead of stamped driveway- who knew. My mom has pavers in NE. She has it plowed- but carefully! Second picture concrete and stamped.
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

wow I have never seen concrete stencil. Will look into that thanks so much for the great ideas. the driveway sure is unattractive ;)

• Najeebah
    9 år siden
    I've never liked the idea of painting brick. You're right about the windows and door blending in with white paint, but are you sure you want them to?
    madonna13 thanked Najeebah
  • Geneviève
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

No to the painting ,concentrate on landscaping instead ,the house is beautiful the way it is , paint will peel off and you will have to paint and paint again and again ,now its maintenance free ,why create more work when you don't need to :)

Toronto Restoration · Mere information

madonna13 thanked Geneviève
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

How much do you think it would cost to remove circular driveway? It would be awesome of we could plant boxwood and hydrangeas in front of porch on both sides- that would be ideal. Thank you for the feedback.

• Geneviève
    9 år siden

Fountains · Mere information

Why would you remove the circular drive way ! I would get a water feature for the center of it and then plant boxwood all around it .

madonna13 thanked Geneviève
  • Tiffany T
    9 år siden
    Your home is beautiful-- I wouldn't paint the brick. Similar to other comments I suggest focusing on the landscaping, shutters, and doors. Good luck!
    madonna13 thanked Tiffany T
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thank you! Great suggestion with front doors. These definitely need to go ☺️ It's hard to tell but there is not much green space in front. Maybe a little boxwood along top of circle to soften driveway. Thank you for suggestions. I truly appreciate it!

• PRO
    CCM Architecture
    9 år siden

I think painting the brick would be a huge mistake. It's a natural material and I think it should be left in it's natural state. Similar to when people paint nice fir wood or some other nice species, once you paint it, it could be any material and loses its real character. I also agree with the maintenance comment that once you paint it you have more work on your hands. First, it better be prepared and painted well or you may have peeling paint which looks horrible. Consider the brick as a backdrop or canvas and modify the smaller elements around it and create a context where the brick works. Keep natural materials natural.

madonna13 thanked CCM Architecture
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Do you think the shutters should be the black or is there another color combo that would be more striking with this pinky brick? We will be changing out the door area for two panel double doors with smaller panel on bottom to elongate doors. Transom lights above doors? Or do a larger Piedmont type design above to make door area more fitting. It seems akward to me right now. Thank you again so very much!

• madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

I truly appreciate all of your feedback and ideas!

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 år siden

Your shutters are currently too narrow..should be much wider so they look like they really work. Painted black is best. No to painting brick. The part of the house the bothers me is the large white in the middle of the gable. It's the first place my eye goes. I would add a large artificial octagon vent for example. Also add a large pediment above all the windows in white. Also a much larger one over the front door that goes higher in the middle. Regarding the circular driveway, can you move the top arc of the circle (near the front of the house) closer to the street..in otherwords make the sides of the arc shorter, just enough to get an entrance to the from door and a 3' wide place for plantings along the porch area. Also consider adding black wrought iron railings between the 2 outside sections, between pillars.

madonna13 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

The grass space is only about 25 feet deep so shortening that will cut into grass that we have- but I love that idea. It would be awesome yo line the porch w flowers in front. Large pediment over windows- do we need to build out trim around windows too for that to look right?

• PRO
    The KKP Group
    9 år siden

Your house needs to be balanced architecturally, you have a large pediment and thin columns,

The front door is lost within the repetitive squares in the window shapes.

I suggest, over the front door, copy the pediment shape and beef up the molding around the door to give it a larger look add pilasters to either side of the door. Then take the windows on the lower level and scale the same pediment shape. The columns are too thin for their height you might want to change them or reshape them.

Find a painter who has working knowledge of high performance masonry stains. I would stain the brick a deeper brick color or if your set on the color white, the stain will work the same way.

madonna13 thanked The KKP Group
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thank you. The columns are new so unfortunately they won't be replaced but I do appreciate the perspective and see that you are right . You can stain brick?? I definitely need to look into this more. Thank you! And you are definitely right about front door and windows. Thank you so much

• libradesigneye
    9 år siden

I vote with you to paint the brick. Unless you are in a climate with very long cold snowy winters, you will not have maintenance with painted brick in your lifetime. A beautiful warm gray but soft . . like bm edgecomb gray .. . or bm senora gray .. you will get lots of opinions here. Staining is preferable if you can find a contractor who will do it - it is harder to get it even than with paint.

madonna13 thanked libradesigneye
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Señora gray is beautiful!! Great suggestion. Thank you!

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 år siden

You certainly have room for framing out the windows to a reasonable size and the top portion should be more detailed. Obviously, not to make them gigantic...but they certainly need more detail than the none they have now. Look at all the pictures just added to this string. Your pillars are not too small to do this. Have someone draw it onto a photo.

madonna13 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • soniayoung
    9 år siden
    Advice from someone who actually has a painted brick house...unless you do not like the original exterior....I wouldn't paint. We live in NC with mild climate. Painted our house second time 10 years ago and it's time to paint again. Afraid if you go w white you will not notice roofing details and columns. Live with it awhile.
    madonna13 thanked soniayoung
  • chloebud
    9 år siden

Your brick is classic and lovely!

madonna13 thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 år siden

this house is just the way its meant to be.

madonna13 thanked flair lighting
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thank you very much!!!! Sonia thank you for the info based on your house. That is a game changer for sure having to paint a whole house sure is costly! We are in chicago so I am pretty sure our winters won't be so kind

• Cheryl Smith
    9 år siden

I would never paint brick. the benefit of brick is its low maintenance. just painting trim is a job in itself. that is a large house and the cost of painting it won't be cheap, but if you do, be prepared to have it redone in the years to come. its harder to go back on that decision than not make it in the first place.

• A P
    9 år siden
    Not for that style of house, I wouldn't. I would plan some interesting flowers instead.
  • A P
    9 år siden
    Or in your case, use potted plants
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Thanks AP. I fill the porch with big flowers once the weather allows since it definitely brings color. I am measuring now to see if it might be possible to plant boxwood along the perimeter of circular grass area in middle of driveway. I do think that's a great idea. Thank you all so much for so many great tweaks that will make our house prettier.

• babbs50
    9 år siden

Once painted, always HAS to be painted. Painters love to spray bricks, it peels and looks sprayed, the coverage is not consistent. Is there any landscaping between the driveway and yard? That is your best bet.

madonna13 thanked babbs50
  • madonna13
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

There is not much space between driveway and yard. In an ideal world I would remove driveway and do sweet bluestone walkway with hydrangeas and boxwood flanking front door. But...working with what we have I am wondering if on the side without flowers/shrubs if I could possibly tear up 3feet deep narrowing to center equally to front door like the otherside basically hugging driveway to create more green on that side. ( left) and then possibly add boxwood or another small shrub to top of circular grass area in middle of driveway. Any plant ideas? Thank you so much!!!!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.