mkcb1000

Paint kitchen cabinets? New countertops?

mkcb1000
8 år siden

We are preparing to sell our house and need advice on what, if anything, to do for a low cost update of our kitchen. We have butcher-block countertops currently and older cabinets. We don't want to spend money on new cabinets, but is it worth it to paint them white? Should we invest in new countertops? If so, what is a good material that would also be relatively inexpensive? Granite would be nice, but also likely costly.

(20) kommentarer

• mkcb1000
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Here is the other side of the kitchen.

• intown123
    8 år siden
    I would consult with a realtor. At the very least I would change the cabinet hardware to something a bit more sleek to coordinate with the contemporary ceiling fan. The dining light looks a bit off from the fan in style as well. Lighting and hardware would be less expensive than painting right and/or new counter.
    mkcb1000 thanked intown123
  • Tania Summers
    8 år siden

Agree that the fan in the kitchen does not vibe with the light in the eat in kitchen. Change out the fan for a light fixture. I would definitely paint the cabinets, but I hope you know what you are doing, I hear it's not as simple as what you see on tv. New hardware would also update the look as suggested above.

mkcb1000 thanked Tania Summers
  • Tania Summers
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Also, your clock is too small in your eat in kitchen IMO. Get rid of it and get bigger or just leave blank.

• jacksplash
    8 år siden

Hi, i think your cabinets are fine but agree that new cabinet hardware will update it,also do you have a mirror or some art that you can put in your dining room to add some colour?

mkcb1000 thanked jacksplash
  • vizkid88
    8 år siden
    Granite may not be as expensive as you think if you find a remnant.
  • mkcb1000
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Where is the best place to find a remnant? Any high level idea on price range? Counter is mostly shown. There is also another small counter behind that is about 3 1/2 feet wide.

• PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    8 år siden

I agree with previous posters. Consult your realtor. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised that they think it looks fine. The hardware change is a good idea and not as expensive.

mkcb1000 thanked Drawer Essentials
  • Eva Lutz
    8 år siden
    it's a perfectly nice kitchen. I aggree with the view that either the buyers will like it as it is or will want a totally different look, put their own stamp on. So leave it as it is !
    Spent money on a fresh lick of paint where and if needed to achieve a clean and crisp look all over!
  • babbs50
    8 år siden

It is a nice kitchen. Leave it for the new owners, and always ask your realtor for comments when shown.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Paint a soft gray. Add long brush buckle pulls. Very big look now on cabinets. Yes granite expensive. Just leave counters.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Replace ceiling fan. With ceiling light. Lowes has many.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Is that a ledge for bar stools if so add 2 in a metal.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Remove small items from walls. Add a big art there instead. What colors Are walls?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Remove all items from counters except for a couple of decor items. No clutter anywhere.
  • Anne Keehn
    8 år siden

I agree, leave as is and just make sure everything is CLEAN. Replace ceiling fan, though.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Kitchens sell homes . You get 110% back at sell. So check out granite go a gray with very light background. It might run you 2-3K. Don't forget bathrooms. U clutter paint vanity new brush buckle hardware. New light fixtures. Not expensive but will bring in bucks.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    I meant brush nickel, damn auto correct.
  • User
    8 år siden

I would change out the fan to something cleaner lined. Also painting the cabinets would update and brighten the space, making it appear bigger. Have you considered doing a high definition laminate for your countertop? This can give you the look and feel of a stone but without the price!

Good luck!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.