todd_quinn

Clueless guy

T Q
8 år siden
Ok here's the basics. Bought my first place and am clueless on paint for the main rooms. Has a nice crown molding and beautiful wood floors and darker wood trim/windows/mantle. Living room and dining room which is separated by an arch. Both rooms seem to have ample light and are both white currently
I'm so lost on what colors I can use that aren't the typical boring earthy tan that you see with all this wood. Any suggestions or opinions would help. Thanks.

(82) kommentarer

• PRO
    Kim Harvey Design, LLC
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Congratulations on your new & charming home! Since you have far too many specific suggestions already, then I will offer up a process by which I tackle every one of my projects;

Most of us are very visual beings…we need to see something in front of us in order to determine whether or not we like it.

This picture shows my original, old-school version of a palette book of sorts (all Benjamin Moore colors) that enabled my clients to comfortably choose the color ensembles that were most appealing to them.

One of the colors might represent a couple of leather chairs as was previously recommended to you, while another could be the predominant color in an area rug. The next color could be interjected in the form of sofas while the last would be for your walls.

Your specialty paint stores should be your first stop in this trek (they've got plenty of palette examples) since you want to begin w/your wall color. This way, you're purchasing good quality paint that will endure, & you're conversing with hands-on professionals who will assist in completing this phase. Afterward, you can hire a designer for the remainder of your projects.

Good Luck!

P.S. It looks to me like you've got picture rail molding along with your smaller crown…I would DEFINITELY paint both the same color as the walls because they're not large enough (think proportion) to stand on their own.

• kim1101
    8 år siden
    look at benjamin moore gray owl. it's light gray with a slight blue undertone.
  • aaldob
    8 år siden

it is going to be perfect! Lovely combination.

• Miranda Rose
    8 år siden
    Yes congrats! If you can, we would all love to see photos of the finished job! Once you add furnishings! :)
  • sweetfe
    8 år siden

great choices! at some point you might want to add moulding around the arched doorway ....they sell some bendy stuff with a keystone in the middle that looks like it would be easy to install...and if you keep it white ...well i think that would look great. also i would do a high gloss on the painted portion of trim.

• beattieboggs
    8 år siden

You have chosen a very classy color scheme. Can't wait to see your after photos!

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    8 år siden

You’ll be giving design/decor advice to Houzzers yourself, T Q, before you know it. Please do post after pics - I’ve bookmarked your post so I won’t miss them!

• PRO
    Paula Collins
    8 år siden
    What do u want ur home to say? Your choices in the greys say to me "business class" is that ur personality? Lighting, colors and style say much more about u but they r scary. I think a designer/ decorator might b worth a shot to see if ur personality is trying to say something more.
  • PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    8 år siden

Congrats on your home purchase! Incorporating a plush "fluffy", soft Moroccan rug into your space would act as a counterbalance if you prefer the sleekly designed leather and chrome furniture. Part of the attraction to modernists are the primitivism in the carpets, unlike the traditional Oriental rugs. Our Moroccan collection can be found here or visit 1stdibs.

• er612
    8 år siden

Great house! Do you like the grey dining room that you posted? If so, look for farmhouse or unintentionally distressed tables on Craigslist. Then add metal or lucite chairs from IKEA or Overstock.

• sandradclark
    8 år siden

Your crown is actually called a coved ceiling. It is not a separate trim piece of wood applied. It is a detail done with plaster in which part is on the ceiling & part extends down onto the wall. It is a feature in a lot of 1920 period homes as is the arch between the living & dining room. It is most beautiful & should be painted in a lighter color than the walls with a bit of the wall color added to the flat ceiling paint. You are very lucky to own this lovely home with the leaded glass window in the dining room.

You should live in the rooms before painting, however it sounds as though you may have either painted or at least decided on the color. The drapes in the rooms look just fine. The 1st decision should be the area rugs as they are the foundation of the décor. Have a wonderful time with buying each piece of furniture. Take your time, you will want the home to look as though you have collected the special pieces over the years & not just gone out one day to buy all furniture. Art & accessories should be the last addition to each room & will be guided by the colors & styles you have chosen. Only you can pick your art.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    8 år siden

Great house! My suggestion is to hire a decorator to help you make the most of this beautiful space. It's not as expensive as you think, and will save you lots of aggravation trying to cull through paint colors, window treatments, furniture, lighting, accessories, and all the other items that a decorator or designer can access.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Great house. Go any of the light grays by Benjamin Moore. Paint all rooms a tone of that gray. I would update look with white trim. Fan is dated. Go a ceiling light drum style 30" paint fireplace white also. If you want we would all love to help you on Furn arrangement. Area rugs and accessories. So let us know when ready.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    By thereby windows are beatific. I would remove rods and panels and leave bare. Do this before you paint.
  • columbia93
    8 år siden

I don't like grey very much but when I saw the first pictures, grey is immediately what I thought! Here are some ideas for the chair as it sounds like that is your jumping off point.

Love the bones of the house. Sounds like you've got some good friends to help. Good luck!

• nikawareham
    8 år siden

Waterfront Home · Mere information

Dining room color

• nikawareham
    8 år siden

Bill Bolin Photography - Christy Blumenfeld Architecture · Mere information

Living room color

• T Q
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Knocked out two coats in living room and dining room over the past 24 hours, slap'd a coat on master bedroom and bath as well… These greys look absolutely great in the daylight.
    However I will say this, aside from the ownership and pride from doing it yourself,… Painting sucks!
    Moving day is tomorrow, so I will finish up on the two ceilings this weekend and post an update for inquiring minds
  • T Q
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Knocked out two coats in living room and dining room over the past 24 hours, slap'd a coat on master bedroom and bath as well… These greys look absolutely great in the daylight.
    However I will say this, aside from the ownership and pride from doing it yourself,… Painting isn't fun!
    Moving day is tomorrow, so I will finish up on the two ceilings this weekend and post an update for inquiring minds
  • T Q
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    However I will say this, aside from the ownership and pride from doing it yourself,… Painting isn't fun!
  • T Q
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
  • T Q
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Aaaaaaaaaand my wifi likes to take what I try and post and go crazy with them apparently
  • sweetfe
    8 år siden

Looking good! I would love to see daylight photos when you have a chance.

• nikawareham
    8 år siden

Looks great

• nikawareham
    8 år siden

I would also paint the ceiling or crown trim a shade darker so your plaster crown moulding stands out more. When I say a shade darker, I mean than what they currently are not the wall color.

• njmomma
    8 år siden

watching the progress...

• lucidos
    8 år siden

You need to post the entire house for us! I want to see the bachelor lair, kitchen and baths too.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Paint ceilings white always. To add height.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Paint ceilings white, to add height.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Paint ceilings white.
  • headhearthand
    8 år siden

Love what you picked.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    8 år siden

LOVE colors T Q!! Paint DR ceiling same as walls, mount a mirror on ceiling and hang light through center of mirror so candles on table and light reflect back down.

• babbs50
    8 år siden

What style is the exterior of your home and when was it built?

• aaldob
    8 år siden

What? No taping the paint chips to the walls and staring at them for a few... weeks first? (I should know not to jest in print). Looks good even without the furniture. People often say painting is a quick change, but it is a lot of work. The visual impact in making your new home reflect yourself so quickly (and having the painting almost finished) must make you satisfied!

• T Q
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    '37 cape cod
  • Jacks Craig
    8 år siden

I’ve found that BEHR Camel 350F-5 seems to look great as a sort of hip take on yesterday’s yellow/gold trends. The color still looks true in both flat/satin, or semi gloss (for kitchens, baths). Check it out here...

• annyroonie35
    8 år siden

I also bought a new home. The owner painted (supposedly) creamy ceiling with large white moling. White molding? Beautiful! But the ceiling looked yellow and everyone noticed. Why? Because previous owner colored walls with a mustardy yellow. If you keep the ceiling color with a yellow hue, do NOT put any color that contains yellow or yellow hue. Many colors have a yellow hue. white on ceiling. Pure White or a hint of irory. I went with a different (but very cose to) color on ceiling and letf the white molding. Their is a deffinite difference to the eye, but its ever so slight as to compiment the white molding. Beautiful! Painting the whole house???? AAHHHH! I couldn't come to a conclusion but it is a open flowing home so went with different hues of gray. It's neutral and I was able to put any color/design with it. Your rooms are boxey, therefore you can put any king of color in each room. Always go with your gut. It will be beautiful and comfortable for you. People do not color ceilings the same color of walls anymore...so remember to keep them white. Good luck and great to ask advise before a mistake makes you unhappy. Boy, have I done that before..and it was a disaster.

• sfeier
    8 år siden

Two greys are good looking. Stay w light shade in LR bec of dark wood- maybe you will even lighten or paint trim in future. Just a thought-

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 år siden
    Walls look great. But paint trim white to match your moulding. Sorry about duplicate post on ceiling.
  • Beth Salloway
    8 år siden
    Who makes the rug in image 2?
  • PRO
    web Homes Realty
    8 år siden

Ceiling paint white, walls Rhodes Point its a greenish beige. You will have to get it custom mixed as Ralph Lauren paint is hard to find. It would be the perfect color for this house.

• PRO
    Valley Design Center
    8 år siden

I always felt like that dark brown goes well with either a teal or a light pastel color. It's ways around it to still look manly if you find the perfect shade to play with.

Even tho these are bedrooms, here's an idea of color

• PRO
    Valley Design Center
    8 år siden

haha didn't even scroll up to see that you've posted your choice. I was close!

• jasonstylestar
    8 år siden
    South African new to Houzz. Require cost effective ways to update late '70 's beige formica kitchen.
  • lucidos
    8 år siden

Jason please delete this post and start your own dilemma. We'll be happy to help you in your own corner of Houzz!

• kiturah
    8 år siden

to clueless: Great idea to stay from beige. What you describe, anything you love will work and make you happy. What colors do you love?

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    8 år siden

Hey there..I have a few blog posts that may help you out.

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

Happy Designing!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.