tlbean2004

How much time and money is lost by contractors having to redo jobs?

9 år siden

When the contractor has to redo a job because the client complained, how much money and time do they lose?

Also, what is the percentage of jobs that have to be redone?

(16) kommentarer

• 9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

When the contractor has to redo a job because the client complained, how much money and time do they lose?
    It would depend on the size of the job.

Also, what is the percentage of jobs that have to be redone?
    It would depend on the quality of the contractor involved.

I don't really think that you can get a meaningful average value for either of these questions.

• PRO
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

tlbean2004:

One of the most difficult things to convince a young contractor of is: 1. Life isn't fair. and 2., You're going to get your butt kicked. Sometimes you will pick the wrong customers and they will be unfair. Sometimes you will kick your own butt. Neither of these things are pleasant, but are inevitable. Denying or fighting them is pointless. It's a cost of doing business, just like gasoline or rent.

The trick is getting these losses down to an acceptable percentage of your gross. I take less than a 2% a$$ whuppin' every year, but I've been at this for 30 years or so. Still, I get and deserve a marketplace reminder every once in a while.

The marketplace is exceptionally cruel to those that don't obey.

• 9 år siden

I can only think of one example where I KNOW how much he lost. He lost everything! Our GC refused to touch the curved bar top in our Pub/Media Room. So we looked around and got a great price from a local tile/counter top store for the job.

They had to re-do the granite on the curve twice because it cracked. THEN, they had to sub some work out for wooden molding (curved) on the back side of the bar. Curving the wood was hard, and it boomeranged off, so they all had to come early on July 4th to redo the job and get it done. It is so gorgeous. But that contractor told us if he ever encountered a job like this again, he'd charge double! He made no money, but he made a friend. We would use him again if we ever need to. Really honest and nice guy.

• PRO
    9 år siden

Millions and millions of lost hours, wasted gas, added land fill waste.

Imagine the landfill waste that could be saved every year if all that contractors did was flood test every single shower they build. It's not even asking much - since it's a code requirement. If we did this the landfills would certainly take a little break in build up.

If tradesmen and women followed industry guidelines and not building codes our homes would be built better still.

The School of Hard Knocks is built on contractor screw ups. It costs a fortune to attend and the enrollement is life time.

• 9 år siden

I think where contractors fail often is booking too many jobs at one time. Their job is to hire their crew and subs and to supervise, so they get two or 3 jobs going at one time and they pop in now and then to check. That is not supervising! Their job manager is NOT a contractor so there will be slip ups. Some of them don't show immediately, but they will show and he'll get a call. If not a call, a bad reputation. That right there is VERY costly!

• PRO
    9 år siden
    If you've been around for quite awhile (10 years or more) I doubt very much time at all.
    If you haven't figured it out by the ....maybe move on to something else!
  • 9 år siden

hi tlbean, when I started out in buisness ( 21 yrs ) now. I made all the mistakes, took on to many jobs at once. now i let them go. learn how to say I will be available in 7 weeks. oh, not good, ok well thank you.

I didn't have enough help, I had to much help.

now, one job at a time, just me working, im on the job all the time and able to see most problems, not all before they come up. but most. and if a problem does come up. no prob just fix it and move on.

schedules change. always talk to the home owner.

you said the client complained and the contractor had a redo, can you supply details or a little more info.

• PRO
    9 år siden

I have been absolutely stunned by the amount of redo and wasted materials. Agree with Suzi, too many jobs, lack of effective communication and supervision, and workers who are "jack of all trades, master of none."

• 9 år siden

Gene, this question came about because of all the people on here asking for advice.

One recent question was about a contractor who did sloppy tile work and had to eventually redo the job at the clients request.

• 9 år siden

hi tlbean2004, I understand. yes it always amazes me how someone does something, put a tile down uneven or high on one side or leaves an open miter on a piece of casing. its in there face, they see it and they leave it. I don't understand. they hope the client doesn't see, but when they do and the client demands that it gets fixed the contractor cops an attitude. I don't get it.

• PRO
    9 år siden

Wonder when I will stop finding things. Hung a large mirror in stairway landing, when it was level - it was 17" off the floor on one corner and 18.5" off the floor on the other corner. Sides & top corners were also not equal distance to walls. This is on a stairway/landing that was built 3 times! I do not even know what was wrong with versions 1 & 2.

The square and level placed mirror looked so not straight, I had to take it down. Now trying to find something to do with the 3' x 6' mirror.

Ceiling in the kitchen was also not level. Had to drop cabinets on one side of room just so same size trim/crown could be used on both sides.

Told builder to buy his carpenters some levels

• 9 år siden

hi mdln, they have to learn how to read them first.

it starts with the foundation then snow balls from there.

• PRO
    9 år siden

Plumb & level just seem like such basic concepts, carpentry 101.

Have a pocket door that when fully closed (door touching trim at bottom), there is a gap at the top.

• 9 år siden

mdln, I read a lot of advise on this forum and its all right from some degree or another. reality is the contractors say what they have to to sell the job then its biz as usual. bang it out, blow it out, knock it out. is the mantra.

now this isn't every contractor but a good percentage.

gotta get done and go on to the next job.

• PRO
    9 år siden

Just found windows that were broken that are being replaced. Am concerned about what am I missing? Considering hiring a professional home inspector.

Sponsoreret

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.