tim_wiebe

Is it possible to have a wood burning fireplace in a passive house?

Tim Wiebe
11 år siden
Looking to build a passive, mostly off-grid house. Fireplaces generally create unacceptable air infiltration troubles. Need the fireplace (if possible) in our delightfully cold winters.

(12) kommentarer

• Darzy
    11 år siden
    If you want an off-grid house, I would think a wood burning fireplace would be a must.
  • PRO
    Walden Design Group - Cynthia Walden
    11 år siden
    My understanding is the same as yours regarding the danger of even the EPA certified fireplaces and stoves in a passive home. I've stood near the ethanol fueled fireplaces at trade shows. They throw off a surprising amount of heat. I've heard they are suitable for a passive house, thought don't take my word for it. I would be interested to hear what your energy consultants recommend. Good luck with your project.
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    11 år siden
    My recollection is that passive houses can not contain appliances that combust. There are several Passive House certified homes in northern latitudes that have no fire place or wood stove.
  • PRO
    FurnitureNYC
    11 år siden
    Have you thought about an electric fireplace? This fireplace insert contains devices that create a stunning light effect. Go to http://www.furniturenyc.net/fireplaces.html
  • Elaine 4nier
    11 år siden
    I've been thinking about the same thing. I'm in the very beginning stages of planning our passive home. I found a fireplace online that uses combustion air from outside but I don't know how hard they are to purchase. Good luck! http://www.rika.at/en/vitrapassiv/
  • PRO
    Decoflame
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    What about a beautifully designed bioethanol fireplace? Safe and easy to maintain they do not require any flue or chimney. Visit http://decoflame.com/ to learn more and feel free to ask us whatever questions you might have and we will be happy to help.
  • PRO
    Sealander Architects
    8 år siden

Get a wood stove instead.

• User
    6 år siden

Why would you want a fireplace in a passive house? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of going passive? Most passive houses by design have carefully calculated heat loads and are tightly sealed against temperature fluctuations. A fireplace would overheat the space and create unhealthy air to breathe. Combustible fireplaces, such as wood, ethanol, alcohol, gas, even though "sealed" are a dangerous and outdated aesthetic. Chimneys are messy, cold air infiltrators and thermal break nightmares. We should not cling to them for fear of resale de-valuation. We are not cave people anymore; we don't need to stare at a fire to feel at home. Try bookcases, tapestry, a well lit piece of artwork...and enjoy the even temperatures of a well built passive house.

• Roberto Muller
    2 år siden

@tilemaster7 I think the main question is what to do in case of a sustained power outage. Does having a direct intake + vented wood stove that's only used during power outages justify the issues in potential air leakage and thermal bridging that happen via the fresh air intake pipe, the stove itself and the stovepipe with its gaping metal + air hole in a super insulated roof during the +95% of the time that the power is on? Running the wood stove during a power outage shouldn't really be an air quality issue if you open a window enough to provide additional fresh air (again this is in a rare but likely scenario), but I can't think of a way to justify losing all that energy via thermal bridging and likely air leakage the vast majority of the time. I'm trying to find a solution to this for a near-Passive house that gets a lot of power outages and is slow to get power back (courtesy of our local electric utility). We're on a property with a lot of firewood, so it behooves us to try to use it, if possible. It's a hard nut to crack, though! Any suggestions, such as a direct-vented gas insert in lieu of a wood stove, would be greatly appreciate!

• hbeing
    2 år siden

not a wood stove? i would think it a great option/delightfully snowy is what i'm after. where in the West should i move? :)

• Roberto Muller
    2 år siden

Update: the sad but likely best solution is to scrap the wood stove or any type of combusting stove as a power-outage backup, and just get a generator large enough to run essentials + the small additional load for the primary (likely air source heat pump) heating system if power doesn't come back on within a few days. I've read that Passive Houses can hold a comfy temp for several days or even a week w/o power, depending on the thermal performance. I can't find a way to justify the thermal bridging from a venting stove (wood or gas) when it's hardly going to be used, so we're giving up on the idea.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.