derickson33

Kitchen Remodel - $30,000 for cabinets and granite

derickson33
8 år siden

I am planning to totally remodel my kitchen. We are knocking out a wall and will have a kitchen with an 11 foot island. Something like 77 lineal feet of cabinets with an entry mudroom bench and broom closet.

I was hoping to have all plywood cabinets (we will likely be in our home another 10 plus years) and either granite or quartz tops.

We can't beat back our cabinetry, countertop and install price of $30,000 regardless (both Lowes and the designer were $30,000 installed). Class A granite at designer and Class C at Lowes. I guess there might be a savings at Lowes if I go to Class A granite. I was told at Lowes that quartz prices will match those of granite.

I also gave the plan set to a custom cabinet builder (haven't gotten an estimate back yet, but I'm betting it will be even more).

Has anyone seen these prices and mid range cabinet prices and then gone to Ikea? We have them at my workplace and they've been installed for about 3 years now. I'm impressed.

But, I'm wondering if they will be any cheaper? Advice? Thoughts?

(33) kommentarer

• derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I meant to add that the cabinets from the designer are 6 Square brand and the Lowes brand we priced out is the Diamond line. I have asked them to run another quote at Lowes using the Shenadoah line - they anticipate maybe a $1,000 savings if we went with Shenadoah vs. Diamond. We are looking for a shaker style cabinet in maple. Don't need/want a ton of finish options. Minimal detailing.

• Kristin M
    8 år siden
    Compared to the pricing we have been getting, this sounds pretty good to me. We don't have a ton of cabinets - maybe 20 total, and a lot of them single door. The cabinet prices we are getting are in the 20-25k range. Another 7k for installation and rough quotes of 7-10k for the granite. I keep wondering if we are being ripped off but we've gotten a few quotes now and they're all comparable.
  • derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

The price includes installation but not demo (we plan to do that ourselves to save money).

I am going to hazard the investment of some time on IKEA pricing. I am also interested in exploring an IKEA hybrid. I've read on Houzz about Scherer or Scheer that makes fronts and drawers for IKEA cabinets.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 år siden

If the Ikea cabinets come in boxes like the ones for the bathrooms do, then you have to add to the price for someone to put them all together. Also either pay for delivery or for someone to go pick them up. Our labor costs to put them together in one bathroom we did was far more than the woman saved by going with Ikea vs a standard cabinetry line.

• PRO
    Evans Woodworking Inc
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Ikea offers a good product, id say they compare to Lowes as a really strong mid grade cabinet.

When working with Ikea, make sure your expectations are honest and when you build them, add glue, longer screws and always buy the best line Ikea has to offer.

I work at a custom shop, but still use Ikea for certain personal pieces. I know the life expectancy isn't that of a well built custom piece, but neither is the cost. So for kids dressers and non built in pieces, its a no brainer.

In a kitchen is where the line of cost savings vs longevity really becomes a point of discussion because if one cabinet falls apart its a much bigger task to remove and replace than say an ikea dresser that quits.

Hope this helps, and we always say

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the cheap price"

:)

Brock

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 år siden

Ikea can do it...if you choose the "right" line. They have $100/linear foot options...they have $215/linear foot options and higher (may or may not include counter top). Assume labour will add 50% onto the price of the purchase...and you have an idea of where you are heading.

A white thermafoil Ikea kitchen will certainly cost less. Shaker style maple (birch is as close as you will probably get) = a mid range at Ikea...and you start getting into the same ball park as others.

The cost you have for your kitchen is a VERY GOOD price for a remodel. Most kitchens average $50,000 and up. At $30,000 you are doing a GREAT job!

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 år siden

There is far more to a renovation than just the materials.

• jhmarie
    8 år siden

You could decrease the cost by making your kitchen smaller. It sounds quite large which is fine if you need that much space, but do think about if you need that many cabinets and that much countertop. You could decrease the amount of cabinetry and countertop and leave some wall space for a hutch or Welsh dresser. A good piece of furniture will follow you to a new home, or be given to a child if you downsize. It would also give a more individual personality to your kitchen.

You can also use a good butcher block or part butcher block on the island instead of granite to decrease cost. The island itself does not have to be built in if there is no sink or stove in it - but its own piece of furniture too - but probably not at 11ft.

Brook Cottage - Christina · Mere information

Embracing the Outdoors · Mere information

Charming and Rustic Country Kitchen · Mere information

Ashburton - Hampton Style Face framed. · Mere information

• derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

@jhmarie....We are knocking out two walls, one which separates the existing kitchen from the existing dining area/living room and the other which separates the kitchen from an existing rec/study. There are french doors and a walk out door on the wall. We are confined by those doors (all brick exterior and unique brick - moving doors isn't an option). Given the placement of those doors, it isn't feasible to make the kitchen smaller because the only natural places for a wall are where the existing ones are.

@Debra Butler. Yes, I realize there is more to it than materials. However, our bid isn't well defined. I am frustrated by a lack of transparency in the bidding/budgeting process. I am trying to see where I can improve upon the price, and I thought cabinets might be one of those areas.

• derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I will add that we have lived in this place for 10 years and both of us enjoy cooking. There simply isn't room. I store pots/pans/bowls/appliances in three different areas of my house.

• derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

So, has anyone gone the IKEA route? I spent a bit of time trying to use their design software. Complete nightmare.

• beckyledosquet
    8 år siden
    If you are going to do RTA, why not choose a company with more customization than Ikea. You mentioned Scherrs. Barker Cabinets is another company who make all plywood cabinets that you can customize in1/4 inch increments. There are a couple of other companies mentioned in forums that are similar. We designed our own kitchen and were able to get everything we wanted in a kitchen, including cabinets for our laundry room for under 10,000. We had to do some design work, measuring and planning. We also assembled the cabinets ourselves. Each one took about ten to fifteen minutes. It's true that you can save a ton of money if you do some of the work yourselves.
  • derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Beckyledosquet - thank you for the idea. I will look into that route. I had never heard of Barker. Are there any others that you are aware of?

• jhmarie
    8 år siden

I did not mean to make the actual walls of the kitchen smaller - as you pointed out the space is the space - and it sounds like you need a lot of space:) However, you do not need to have cabinets and counter tops just because there is the space. A hutch or the like can be a less expensive alternative and still supply storage. I did this in my own kitchen where instead of another wall of counters and cabinets, I have a pie-safe and small island. They gave me the same working area and storage as an additional wall of cabinets. My kitchen is rather small. This may not fit your layout at all. If I redo a kitchen again or build a new one, I will use less built-ins and more furniture pieces just because I prefer that style.

I have seen many nice kitchens mix countertop types to break up large amounts of counter, give contrast or to save money. Usually they use a mix of granite (or quartz) with less expensive butcher block.

If you have plenty of cabinet space, another thought is too decrease the number of upper cabinets and replace with a small area of shelving. Not a large area of open shelving because that is an upkeep issue you might not care for, but a few shelves for decorative display. A couple of pics - perhaps not your style - but to give you the idea of what I mean.

It is unfortunate that building a new kitchen should become a headache instead of an exciting adventure. I hope the process gets better for you.

• PRO
    Camano Custom Cabinets
    8 år siden

This article might be of some help in explaining the differences between custom cabinets, semi-custom and store bought. Article Link Maybe this will help so you can compare your options and quality when looking at the different manufactures. There is a lot of ways to save on cabinets ie, drawers add cost or changing to a different species of wood. Also by changing door/drawer front styles could be a cost savings there. Maybe go with some open shelving instead of full upper cabinets. Good luck and have fun with your project.

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 år siden
    We looked at Diamond, Schuler and Shenandoah at Lowe's and had an installed quote (just the cabinets) of about $13 K for Schuler for our 10'6" X 10'6" kitchen.

Big drop off in quality IMO between Diamond and Shenandoah.

We went with a high end RTA cabinets that were all wood, maple faceframes and doors and Blum full extension drawer glides. Knocked down a wall to double size of kitchen but still kept cabinet cost at $13 K. Took about 30 minutes per cabinet box plus attaching doors and drawer glides and fronts. Labor intensive but we would easily have spent $45-50K on total kitchen job if we had used Schuler or Diamond cabinets installed by Lowr's (installed cabinets would have been about $25-30 K.

Our cabinets were more expensive than IKEA and were assembled with glue and finish nail gun.

If you have the time and the right skill set, RTA can save a huge amount. Installing the cabinets is not extremely difficult but trim can be real detailed. Not done right it can look bad especially in newer/nicer homes.

Here are some pics still in progress,
  • D DN
    8 år siden
    6 Square is the very same cabinet that is offered by online cabinet retailer Cliq Studios. Please do some research on both companies--6 Square and Cliq--before going with them.

As far as RTA cabinets, Conestoga is the gold standard. It's the best in the business. But Barker is highly regarded too.

There are several companies that do custom IKEA doors so do your research to get the best design and price if you go that route. There are some really great options for custom IKEA doors.
  • miacometlady
    8 år siden
    From what I understand, box stores like Lowes contract out their installers- so it's the luck of the draw as to whether you get someone competent. This is a job that if something is off a small margin not only will it be so obvious it will impact on counter installation etc. I'd factor in this potential headache with the cost overall.
  • derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

miacometlady - I will also consider having any big box cabinets installed by our GC.

Dawn Danley-Nichols - I researched 6 Square and hadn't heard of huge problems. Can you fill me in on what you mean?

If I have elevations/floor plans for the kitchen already prepared, can I send them to an RTA company like Scherr or Barker and will they just give me a quote based on that?

• PRO
    Evans Woodworking Inc
    8 år siden

wait.. 13,000 for installation?! We are a full custom shop with 4 full time installers and installation is aprox 10% of the proposal. I feel some shops will hide some costs in the installation in order for the cabinet price to appear lower, be careful of that.

• derickson33
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Lowe's install on our estimate was almost 25% of the total cost. Separate charges for cabinet installation and separate charges for "accessory" installation...

• nutter61
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I love your kitchen we are renovating our kitchen too similar to yours but on a smaller scale I'm planning on posting pics before and after its exciting our kitchen is so old it's time for an update any ideas on how to make this process go quick and smooth anything you would do different we would love to hear from you thank you Andrea

• PRO
    Prodboard
    8 år siden

Our company PRODBOARD software offers the latest
    development - Online 3D Kitchen Constructor (You can test it demo version on
    our website prodboard.eu).
    This product provides an opportunity to build a kitchen model and to estimate
    the service cost quickly. The software is powered by latest 3D technologies
    providing a client with an image via browser.
    It's an opportunity to create different forms of a kitchen with regard to room
    limits and cabinets peculiarities of your company.
    Kitchen Constructor allows to choose different materials and colours of kitchen
    units as well as walls, and floors.

Unlike any other software, Online Kitchen Constructor
    creates a project at once in 3D space that makes our programme very handy.
    Online Kitchen Constructor can be easily adjusted to any website style.

We can also help you to load your own line of cabinets
    and create a unique catalogue of designer products.
    Using our Online 3D Kitchen Constructor on your website, you can make your
    products a success.
    Please, contact us and we will kindly answer all your questions.

Kitchen Constructor demo: http://prodboard.eu/kitchen/

E-mail: support@prodboard.eu

• curster
    8 år siden
    We were in the same boat. Total remodel with 75 sqft of counter and a built in pantry. Our original estimate from Home Depot was $28000 for the cabinets alone. I found an Amish cabinet maker that gave us a price of $19,500. I finally ordered from Barker Cabinets and payed $10,800. I installed the cabinets myself, simple. We found a granite distributor and a contractor that installed Fantasy Brown granite grade A granite for $45/sqft. All in we are under $20,000. For a grade a kitchen.
  • PRO
    Wildwood Kitchens and Baths
    8 år siden
    I recently started selling RTA cabinets and do so independently so can offer large discounts without the mark-up of a retailer. I can ship them to you already assembled for a small fee ($7/cabinet), all I'd need from you is a design and measurements and I could get you all wood, quality, shaker style cabinets (I just put them in my house) for less than $10K, but you'd have to contract out an installer.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 år siden
    @swanson, if Conestoga Wood Specialties is not your RTA line, you should consider adding them. Great product, huge selection of cabinet types, styles and finishes. Assembled with glue and finish nail gun. Instant credibility.
  • curster
    8 år siden
    For goodness sake buy Barker Cabinets and go on a cruise with the savings
  • farmerhoggett
    8 år siden

Curster - I priced Barker out - no real savings.

• farmerhoggett
    8 år siden

I should add that we got a great bid from the custom cabinet maker. His price for ALL my cabinetry needs (all kitchen, mud room bench entry with cubbies and a master bath vanity is at the Lowe's price, which just reflected the kitchen cabinets! I feel I will get a great product - so glad I found him! The down side is we won't get them until early November because he's so busy - but I think it's a good sign that he is so busy.

thanks everyone!

• curster
    8 år siden
    I am happy for you. I just can't let your comment go though. There is no way that you "priced Barker out". Here are the facts.

Home Depot - Thomasville $29000
    Solid Wood Cabinets Devon Collection &21300
    Custom Cabinet maker in Oxford PA $19800

Barker Cabinets (solid maple 3/4 inch plywood construction, Blum soft close doors and hinges Windsor doors and drawers, 6 glass doors) $10800

You did not price put Barker. For those that read to make a decision on their project "buy Barker". For you, I am happy that you found a local cabinet maker and I am sure that you will get a great product.

Good luck.
  • farmerhoggett
    8 år siden

Curster - I read your email and was offended. However, then I went back and checked my emails. You are right.

I priced Scherr out ($27,000 plus delivery for cabinets). That was what I was thinking about.

However, in my emails, I did contact Barker. They were unwilling to even walk me through how to help me decipher their cabinet listings/dimensions - I had a plan set to take a look at at the time, too. (I just reviewed their website again and it looks different than it did in May?? I don't recall being able to click on pictures of their cabinets, just a listing with dimensions - maybe I am wrong). The unwillingness to have a conversation put me off and I moved on. Glad you had a good experience with the company.

• PRO
    Wildwood Kitchens and Baths
    8 år siden

I can help you all with good, quality cabinets for your kitchen, but inexpensive! I'm able to get people great prices at wholesale because I'm an independent rep for an RTA cabinet company so I have no overhead or middleman. Our cabinets are 100% plywood box and solid wood doors and frames, soft close, dovetail drawers, the whole bit. Most of the time when I sell cabinets I don't even go to the homeowner's house because they are working with a carpenter or installer who does the measuring, etc. They just give me the dimensions or the cabinets they want and I order it and they are delivered to their door in 10 days. Because I'm not doing the design, measuring, etc., and just supplying the cabinets - it's cheap! I can work with you and deliver to you anywhere in the country.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.