erin_c_

Kitchen backsplash

Erin C.
8 år siden
I'm in beginning of kitchen remodel and have selected a granite that will be used on a island and countertops. I will have cherry wood shaker cabinets and a light beige tile on floor also. Any suggestions on backsplash? I don't want anything that competes with the granite.

(19) kommentarer

• Nancy Walton
    8 år siden

That is a beautiful granite. I know because I used the same one for my recent kitchen remodel. I love the pink feldspar running through it, don't you? The backsplash I used was a glass mosaic. I know, I know, "They" all say that you shouldn't use a mosaic with a granite like that, but I thought it was gorgeous.

You can also see that we re-faced the cabinets to a more traditional style.

• Sarah Strang
    8 år siden
    Erin I love that middle light green subway tile in the second post!! I bet that would look awesome.
  • PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 år siden

That is a really beautiful slab. I encourage people to fall in love with the slab and make everything else work around it. The stone has great movement and lots of interesting color. I frequently like to add a metallic or textured tile to enhance the richness and give depth to a room. Check out the tiles at this site. http://tilebar.com/isle-moroccan-brown-glass-and-marble-tile.html

• Sarah Strang
    8 år siden
    Here are some other examples you may like...
  • Sarah Strang
    8 år siden
    Design Intervention...interesting comments! Which tile from that site would you pick to go with that slab? Erin...I know you have picked and liked the tile that's in your bathroom. Maybe post that picture on here to give people an idea of the style you like in your home.
  • Erin C.
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Great ideas! I really like the idea of using glass tiles. I'm just not really sure what to break them up with. I don't want a entire wall of mosaics or a wall of subway tile. I'm definitely favoring the green glass subway tiles to you somehow though.
  • Erin C.
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Design intervention- what do you think about crackle or fire clay tiles? Is that along lines of
    what you meant by depth?
  • PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 år siden

Both are very nice. The crackle tile is very interesting. I love interesting! So many kitchens are exact blueprints of every other kitchen! You have the makings of a really beautiful and unique space. Don't be afraid to use color and texture. Many folks default to bland for fear of having a point of view. Trust your gut, the choices that you have shared so far are spot on!

The tile that I really liked in the link I sent you is:

Isle Moroccan Brown Glass and Marble Tile

• Lois Black
    8 år siden
    I did my backsplash and counter tops the same. I love it.
  • PRO
    Vicki Bergelt Interior Design
    8 år siden

I like the glass subways as well but I would install them vertically to make more lineal lines.

• sandradclark
    8 år siden

I think I would go with a butter cream subway tile laid in a vertical end to end side by side So as not to detract or compete with the lovely granite. Grout with same color. Classic, timeless.

• coombecourt
    8 år siden
    I also used a very striking granite. So that it didn't compete with the splashback, I used the same slab for a 3" upstand and then painted above that. The only splashback is behind my Aga. My sink is in the island so doesn't need a splashback.
  • Natasha Assa
    8 år siden
    I would visit Porcelanosa Kitchen and Bath store, a world class European tile manufacturers and ask their advice. To give you an idea of their scale and knowledge, Porcelanosa did an Opera House in Sochi (you know, the Olympic city) with a view of the Black Sea. The feeling is as though you float above water. Absolutely stunning design. If you had to ask anyone about tile that would be them. If you don't have their store close by, see if you can call them and ask for advice by describing your style and sending a pic of granite. You will get the latest scoop in high design, no compromise.
  • Nancy Walton
    8 år siden

I really think the green tile would detract from the coloring of that granite.

• Mark
    8 år siden

What about a 4x4 Natural Tumbled Travertine Beige Backsplash.

• User
    8 år siden

I would keep it simple so that your granite is the star of the kitchen. Love the first sample of glass subway tiles that Miacometlady posted-the butter colored glass tile. A taupe or beige ceramic or glass tile would be pretty, too, and would enhance your granite and dark cabinets. Get some samples and post pictures.

• User
    8 år siden
    I advise you buy several samples of the glass tile if you decide to use it, and stack it against the wall over your granite sample? The tiles will look very different mounted on the wall than lying horizontally, especially if there is little natural light in the room. Our glass subway tile , white when viewed horizontally, is gray on the wall. Matches with the granite, but...it's not what I wanted. The kitchen gets no natural light, being in the center of the house, so any sparkle is by artificial light. And the type of under cabinet lighting, incandescent, fluorescent, LED, will also make a huge difference in how the color is perceived.
  • chris81996
    8 år siden

Personally I think the glass subway tile is pretty pedestrian......If it were my kitchen I wouldn't go boring after choosing such a great slab.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.