justinandlaura1

What would you do with this kitchen?

justinandlaura1
8 år siden
sidst ændret:8 år siden

We are getting closer to closing escrow on our new home. We definitely want to change some things and make it our own. I think the kitchen needs to be modernized a bit, not too modern, but updated and upscaled some. Definitely going to paint over the stenciling. Would love to reface the cabinets to remove the arched doors to go for square lines instead of more country arch style. Would love to get a nice new cooktop, not sure how big we can go, but the bigger the better for me. Really not sure whats possible with the drywall soffit (or whatever it is) that extends the ceiling down to meet the cabinet tops, seems like a waste of space. Was thinking about changing the backsplash to possibly something like a white subway tile, not sure. Anyhow, wanted to get some thoughts and ideas on what you'd do?

(22) kommentarer

• User
    8 år siden

I like all the ideas you have. I also would remove the heavy metal light fixtures, maybe transition to more modern look. Replace the bar stools and any scrolly metal items. I might take out the scrolly metal decorative pieces in the stair rail too. Replace the scalloped valance for a Roman shade. You have a beautiful space to work with, enjoy;)

• whistlerhouse
    8 år siden
    And maybe remove patterned carpet by the sink...
  • PRO
    Vicki Bergelt Interior Design
    8 år siden

Definitely remove the soffit - I do this every time I renovate a kitchen - then add 42" H uppers if you can (I can't see ceiling height) - the taller uppers will make the ceiling height seem larger.

Also - remove the drapery in the kitchen window - it's to loud and low…..If you can get away with it - leave the window without anything!

• sandradclark
    8 år siden

Removing the backsplash is a major undertaking. Do install under cabinet LED lighting on a dimmer.

• Natasha Assa
    8 år siden
    Add some glass doors to kitchen cabinets to break up the monotony of wood. Add some cabinet lighting to accent the dishes inside. Major uplift in any kitchen.
  • Monica Gomez- Del Villar
    8 år siden
    Remove stencil above and curtain and the rug.
  • Lori
    8 år siden

I think the kitchen is really nice except for the backsplash, which really dates it. remove that and replace with classic subway/marble creamy tile. also paint over stencil -- i don't think you need to remove the soffits.

• MC Lindsey
    8 år siden
    I would first move in first and get more familiar with the space and give yourself time to be sure of what would work best. suggestion for cabinets. .. shaker cabinets & brushed nickel hardware . I think you can simply change the faces.
  • justinandlaura1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks for the ideas, great stuff.
    Re:removing the soffit and installing 42" uppers. By "uppers" are you suggesting all new cabinets? Just not familiar with the terminology. I'd love to go that route, but I feel like it may be way out of budget. Is removing the soffit a big deal?

I like the glass idea. I think we would just do 1 cabinet pair, which pair would make sense given this layout you think? I'm leaning towards the slim pair to the right and left of the microwave because of their symmetry but not sure.

Its a bummer to hear the backsplash is a huge project. Its not 'terrible' in its current state, but that design behind the cooktop has to go, its way to dated and country for our taste. Not sure if we can just rip that piece out, but it probably would be impossible to match it, so we'd have to put something else random in its place if we went that route.

• lookintomyeyes83
    8 år siden

if you could lighten the stenciling, id do that, but overall i think its a beautiful kitchen - id just move in happy!

• Lila
    8 år siden

I don't think I would remove the soffit unless I was extending the uppers and you have a lot of uppers. It would be very expensive. I would paint it the same colour as the cabinets. Is it possible to tile over the current backsplash? I guess the electrical would have to be adjusted to the extra depth.

• User
    8 år siden

I just bought a new house myself and I totally agree that before you make huge changes, move in and see how you need to live in the area. Personally, I would leave the soffit and just paint over the stencil (or remove however necessary). Adding ceiling height cabinets is not only expensive but, for me, they are way too high to be of any real use. My son has cabinets that are that high and I could never live with them that high. Of course, I'm only 5'2" so I need a stepstool for almost everything. :)

• kristinanadreau
    8 år siden

MOVE IN FIRST live there at least 6 months before you do anything that costs more than $10. This is a great kitchen, with beautiful cabinets. you can paint the soffit any color you think you might like. take down the valance curtain. get your own bar stools as modern as you like. later, when you have a clear vision of what you would like to do in the space, you could put in the light fixture of your choice above the island. Why spend thousands of dollars tearing out the soffit and putting in new upper cabinets???? lay a rug of your choice, for your comfort while working. I like plain woven jute/coir. easy to clean & indestructible. And when the time comes, consider having a tile refacing company reglaze the back splash tile..... there are many options. enjoy the ride. Congratulations on your new home.

• User
    8 år siden
    We lived in our new home a year before having any changes made, including wall colors. During that year we learned we liked the kitchen layout, but hated the cabinets, granite, backsplash and dishwasher, that we loved the light filled master bath, but never used the humongous soaking tub, that the laundry room was too cramped, and we really needed more storage. That year allowed us to come to the decision to move the shower to where the tub was, the laundry to where the shower was, the laundry became a huge pantry, and that the kitchen needed to go white, because there was no natural light. We would have made different decisions if we had just moved in, and many would not have worked out as well. So take some time! A new home is exciting, but get to know the quirks and eccentricities first.
  • Maine Susan
    8 år siden

I agree with many above... move in and wait until you have lived with it and studied things a bit. My taste would probably to remove the uppers on the windows side, even the one to the left of the sink and add open shelves or whatever you might like... maybe nothing, another window, artwork??? Have the other uppers end into the sink wall with no return. Looks like you will have plenty of storage w/o much storage on that sink/window wall. It will make the room look more inviting and bigger, and allow the more light from the window showing more. The bank of uppers would be much improved with some glass as suggested and something to break it up a bit. Maybe all along the whole bank at the top. The flooring and appliances look great but may not fit your needs. I even like the lighting n the stools but those are a more personal style preference.

Lucky you on such a nice home to work with! Take your time. Oh also remember what you hate about it all... sometimes we get to used to things and they kind of get forgotten in the shuffle. Anything can be done if you want to spend the bucks!

• anuviju
    8 år siden
    The soffit may not be empty inside.Unless you break it open you wouldnt know if it has wiring or something similar and then it would be a pain to design the space again.Remove the drapery and the design on the soffit, that would help you visualize the space better.
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 år siden

If the soffit can go, reface the doors in a simpler more modern style and add more cabinets like these that are lighted inside on top of your present cabs.

Barrington, RI Kitchen · Mere information

• housegal200
    8 år siden

Great space and what looks like well-made, quality cabinets and countertops. Here are a few suggestions that won't break the bank or involve smashing backsplashes:

--Remove the curtains and leave the window with no curtains if that works.

--Yes, remove "scrolliness" so you have clean lines. Get some simple, well- designed modern counter chairs.

--Just paint the soffit and don't put any doodads up there. (And remove the doodad over the sliding door when you have the ladder out to remove the curtains.) Adding cabinets to replace a soffit would just give you more wall-o-cabinets when you already have so many.

--Replace some of the solid upper cabinet doors with glass doors and put beautiful well-arranged dishes and glassware in there.

--Change out the lighting over the island and table to something larger and more modern. With the money you save by not doing a big renovation, you may be able to afford some great, dramatic, modern lighting. Check out Ballard Designs for beautiful pendants.

--Check out the sophisticated indoor-outdoor rugs at Ballard Designs or Overstock. That would be an instant upgrade.

--Find a great modern bowl for the top of your island. Check out Museum of Modern Art, West Elm, Design Within Reach.

--Live with the backsplash. By the time you put a modern coffee maker/station in, add a Kitchenaid mixer if you have one, and some other modern cooking items you use, the backsplash won't make a difference.

--

• Natasha Assa
    8 år siden
    I like the idea of two symmetrical cabinets left and right of the stove being refaced with glass doors. Don't forget the lights inside. It makes a huge difference. Professional electrician would do it in a couple of hours. If you need to prioritize expenses, I would make this the most expensive project (a few hundred dollars at most). Lights above the island and dining table don't have to be too expensive, or too urgent. Backsplash, too, can wait. Removing stencil should cost you the quart of paint. Hardware on the cabinets can be changed out very i expensively, too, and give an updated look for less. How about the sink faucet? Is it in a good working order. That, too is an excellent and practical uplift for any tired kitchen.
  • wnec1
    8 år siden
    I agree with live it a while. It really is a good kitchen with a good layout. Defiantly get rid of the wall paper and curtains. You may want to even go without them. Change the door handles.
  • mrcarjasa
    8 år siden
    The tiny darker elements (door handles, and such) along with the stenciling do give the kitchen a dated feel. Painting with a lighter color (not white) would do wonders. Changing the cabinet doors would help as well, perhaps with brushed nickel hardware. The dark floors might do with a sanding and whitewash stain for a bit of a country feel, accented against new appliances.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.